Author Topic: A sound from the countryside I NEVER want to hear again  (Read 3079 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
A sound from the countryside I NEVER want to hear again
« on: 13 June, 2008, 10:19:23 pm »
Cycling to work this morning, a squirrel tried to cross the road (A50 - fairly busy). A car went over it without hitting it. It ran towards me, on the other side of the road in a panic, then ran back again, and the next car wheel went right over it.

If I never hear that crunching sound again it will be way too soon.  :sick:

Re: A sound from the countryside I NEVER want to hear again
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2008, 12:22:06 am »
Despite being somewhat of a fan of them (yes, I know they are classed as vermin, etc etc) a young one ran under my front wheel a couple of years back. It went crunch too, and died coughing blood on the guilty party's hands.

Not one of my favourite memories either.

« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2008, 07:57:18 pm »
Don't tell andygates, he was collecting road kill for his supper last night. :-\ :sick:
Actually, it is rocket science.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2008, 11:15:08 pm »
I could go get it and post it to him.

;D

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2008, 11:17:18 pm »
splutters a mouthful of beer over keyboard  ;D ;D ;D

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2008, 05:57:40 pm »
The sound of a seagull being folded under a bus is one of my persistent roadkill horrors.  It's like the squeeble, but with additional flappy umbrella panic.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Maladict

« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:07:14 pm »

Zoidburg

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2008, 06:10:17 pm »
I once had the dislpleasure of seeing and hearing an old english sheep dog go "pop" under the wheels of a car :hand:

Twas a very loud and wet pop, proceeded by the screeching of tyres :-[

Pete

« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:33:23 pm »
Accidents happen.  I remember something similar, driving behind another car, and its wheel went right over a squirrel's head; death must have been instantaneous.  I could see one of the creature's legs twitching in violent convulsions as I approached.  Not a sight I ever want to see again.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:39:01 pm »
The memory of the sound of a very large pigeon (or it might have been a collared dove) going through my radiator grille still brings tears to my eyes.

Bloody new radiator grille cost £80 >:( >:(

Mind you, the best collared dove is a dead one!   :demon: :demon:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:43:46 pm »
Hmm, a sound in the countryside was the snapping of my left fibula on the wall of death in the midst of Salcey forest ...

Ten years ago on August 18th.   I remember it like it just happened.  The sound was like thousands of pencils being snapped in unison.   :sick:

« Reply #11 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:57:19 pm »
I was "lucky" to see 10% of the world's remaining African wild dog population (ie a pack of 9) tearing a young wildebeest to bits in Botswana a few years ago.

A quick pop under tyres would seem a pleasant way to go compared to having your face gradually ripped off whilst your bollocks were being eaten....

Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #12 on: 20 June, 2008, 04:31:40 pm »

A quick pop under tyres would seem a pleasant way to go compared to having your face gradually ripped off whilst your bollocks were being eaten....

That sounds very much like the tactics used by the Komodo Dragon.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #13 on: 20 June, 2008, 05:35:47 pm »
Hmm, a sound in the countryside was the snapping of my left fibula on the wall of death in the midst of Salcey forest ...

Ten years ago on August 18th.   I remember it like it just happened.  The sound was like thousands of pencils being snapped in unison.   :sick:

I've been to Salcey Forest loads of times, but the wall of death?

fuzzy

« Reply #14 on: 24 June, 2008, 03:57:33 pm »
Not a sound but a sight that will stay with me for a long time-

following a 38 tonne artic truck along a dual carriageway, big pigeon in middle of lane pecking at something. Pigeon suddenly realises that it is about to die so it takes off, flying along the road in the middle of the lane. I see the truck catch up with and drive over the pigeon. A big swirl of down emerges from under the truck, in the same fasion as vortices of condesation swirl off the wings of a figther jet. The pigeon then emerges in ragged flight from between the tractor unit and trailer and manages to fly to a fence post where it lands. I last sw it on the post, wings haning down by its side, head down, panting, with a look on its face that just screamed '**k me- that was close!'.

bobajobrob

« Reply #15 on: 24 June, 2008, 04:03:12 pm »
I found an adder that had been  run over by a car and crippled. I stopped and was about to kill it when a car ran over its head! I made sure it was dead with a few runs over the head at 120psi :thumbsup: