Author Topic: 800 pound cat!!  (Read 1798 times)

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
800 pound cat!!
« on: 21 May, 2011, 07:03:20 pm »
No, Max hasn't put on a bit of weight.
He was looking a bit off last weekend, and then started moving sort of stiffly, and when I came in from work on Monday he looked not at all well.....so off to the vet, who found that he had a temperature and a rather full bladder; he was not a well cat. We were kept up to date with any progress in his condition by phone, and on Friday afternoon, the vet rang to say that he was ready to come home, and that the problem was cystitis - he had responded very well to treatment, and certainly looked much better. We now have a few days of tablets to deal with, and have to keep him indoors until Monday to make sure he's pissing properly, then back to the vet for a quick check on the state of his bladder, and that's it, hopefully. :)
Total damage, including scans, blood tests, lots of drugs and 3 nights B&B - £816 (inc VAT), plus about £60 in taxi fares.
We have pet insurance (with Tesco), but without it, we'd be stuffed.
Think on't.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: 800 pound cat!!
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2011, 11:20:50 pm »
I'm just glad Max isn't stuffed :D

The cost of vet bills or pet insurance is the main reason I no longer have cats.  Oh, and the cost of food  :'(
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2011, 12:58:29 pm »
We spent rather more than that on our old Oliver in the last year of his life.  No insurance...

I still think it was money well-spent.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2011, 01:49:46 pm »
Pet insurance, sadly, becomes uneconomic for cats of a certain age.  Fiver a month for a kitten, £25 a month for a ten year old moggy and something stratospheric for a 15 year old.  When Petplan offer "cover for life" they should add "if you can afford it"!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2011, 10:37:54 pm »
We do bartering.
It is simpler than it looks.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2011, 10:27:53 am »
When I was living in Morningside in Edinburgh (back in the early 90s), there was a huuuuuuge orange cat ruling the neighbourhood.  When it was pregnant it was even more unbelievably large and got into the habit of lying in the road and stopping traffic.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher