Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3932814 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23400 on: 13 May, 2020, 07:53:44 am »
Excellent news T42.

Thanks, Dave. Paying for it today - everything hurts.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #23401 on: 13 May, 2020, 09:36:32 am »
Did my shop yesterday, click and collect with a trailer. I'd a substantial load in the trailer but felt the benefit of my zwifting as I powered up one of York's most challenging inclines.

I guess the rules now allow me to take the bike to the Wolds by car as I did pre-lockdown.

Millennium Bridge, Yes?  ;D

« Reply #23402 on: 13 May, 2020, 09:41:44 am »
Did 36 miles yesterday as its now post the worst lockdown.   Out round Church Brougton in Derbeshire.  Not too many walkers but as a biker I was not alone lots of us out.   Just managed to get home before the rain.  Now I can get back to putting some miles in, I want to get to 80 miles a week, which is not bad in two rides on a Brompton as an average.e

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23403 on: 13 May, 2020, 06:34:57 pm »
I had to do the shopping today and the car battery was totally dead. I got the tandem out and put it into cargo bike mode for the first time in ages. That was fun! A full trolley into 4 baskets and the big brompton bag.  :D :D :D

Do you have an adaptation for that?

Yes, Circe make them. They do a slightly different design now, as well as a wide load bed option.

I think I might have to spend some money...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #23404 on: 14 May, 2020, 01:10:55 pm »
Yes, a 10km pootle with my SO on her new bike.  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

bairn again

« Reply #23405 on: 14 May, 2020, 07:01:14 pm »
A nice wee 42km loop out to Harperigg Reservoir and back.  Took the quiet road from East Calder that George Berwick told me was a better way than the A70 after Wilkieston when we both rode a Mark Shannon 400k many years ago. 

Chose to head back via Long Dalmahoy Rd which Id not ridden for ages and my old stomping ground Hairy Twat. 

No snow this time thankfully and the roads are mercifully still quiet, folk appear to be adhering to the tighter lockdown in Alba. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/48775448

« Reply #23406 on: 14 May, 2020, 09:43:44 pm »
 North towards Gerrard's cross on a figure of 8 ride of 9 miles. Nice in the sun felt the chilly breeze in the shade.  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23407 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:26:06 pm »
It really was a remarkable difference, wasn't it?  I started off overdressed, boiled in the sun for a bit, stopped to remove a layer then felt sub-optimally cold on the shady part of my route.

« Reply #23408 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:29:17 pm »
Nipped out for an hour. Wasn't dressed right but nothing would have been right. A cold on and off wind. And alternative cold overcast and warm sun.

And one of those sods of a wind where whichever way you're cycling the wind is all up in your face and that.

But I got out and did a few miles
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #23409 on: 15 May, 2020, 10:00:57 am »
A hilly circuit heading West into the Durham hills.  At the highest point (Burnhope) I was overtaken by a mountain rescue ambulance, which seemed appropriate.  Noticeable increase in car traffic compared to last week, as result of the easing of the lockdown in England.  Unfortunately this also means more of the semi competent drivers are out and about, so a couple of examples of stupid and unsafe overtaking to cope with. 

Seems likely that this will result in many of those who have started to cycle on the roads during lockdown being intimidated / frightened.  And as a result, stop cycling.  Apart from that, a lovely morning out in the sunshine with a nice picnic lunch in Waldridge Fell nature reserve.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #23410 on: 15 May, 2020, 12:42:14 pm »
As the wind has dropped, I took the Windcheetah out for a spin on my 20-ish mile route round Ely.  :D

Plenty of waves and smiles from everyone.  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #23411 on: 16 May, 2020, 02:10:14 pm »
A scenic 53km on the tandem on a none-too-tandem-friendly route.  We were both a bit tired which made the crow road a real slog at the finish.  But before that we used a very nice wee bit of the John Muir way from croftamie to Gartness.  That was my first time on on this bit:  I didnt even know this bridge existed !

9715d5cb-9901-407c-b36c-7d892deed861 by sg310, on Flickr

bairn again

« Reply #23412 on: 16 May, 2020, 04:22:46 pm »
The Two Bridges ride from Edinburgh with a few tweaks. 

Up early and off into the strong headwind, out through Newbridge, Winchburgh and Kingscavil before dropping down into Bo’ness, Grangemouth, Carronshore, Henhousemanure and South Alloa before a welcome turn east. 

I crossed over Kincardine Bridge where I recalled getting up very early to see this swing bridge open for the final time in 1983 (?).  I say got up early, I think a few of us went straight from an all night party in Bridge of Allan courtesy of a friend who had recently procured an old Post Office Mini Van.  Anyhow it was back through Culross and Rosyth with a deviation round by Limekilns.  Over the Forth Road Bridge - crossing north to south always has a tricky wind - with a quick stop to take a pic of the rail bridge.  No matter how many times I see it, I marvel at it. 

Back home the wiggly way to make my Two Bridges aka The Tour de Forth just over 100k.

Traffic definitely up, sadly including the twats in Audis & BMWs who appear to be the worst offenders.  Miller & Carter carpark at Cramond Brig almost full. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/48865308

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23413 on: 16 May, 2020, 05:50:38 pm »
fasted 3hr spin in essex, lovely day to be out, shame about the traffic and pollution which is back to the old normal. a welcome change - new double red lines in epping forest, restricting parking.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23414 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:45:16 pm »
fasted 3hr spin in essex, lovely day to be out, shame about the traffic and pollution which is back to the old normal. a welcome change - new double red lines in epping forest, restricting parking.

I used to live in the Epping Forest area and cycle around quite a lot of the lanes from Burckhurst Hill, Loughton, Theydon Bois, High Beach etc - just wondered where they've put the red double lines - excellent idea BTW.

Rob

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23415 on: 16 May, 2020, 09:14:25 pm »
I used to live in the Epping Forest area and cycle around quite a lot of the lanes from Burckhurst Hill, Loughton, Theydon Bois, High Beach etc - just wondered where they've put the red double lines - excellent idea BTW.

Rob

this was near high beech, good idea indeed!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23416 on: 17 May, 2020, 12:19:02 am »
What do the red lines mean in addition to/different from yellow lines? I thought it was that they included loading and dropping off/picking up passengers, but that doesn't look like a place much loading is going to happen!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #23417 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:11:21 am »
double red lines - no stopping at any time
double yellow lines - no waiting at any time (brief stopping allowed, e.g. to unload or let passengers out)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23418 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:14:48 am »
Yesterday, a 72k flattish circuit, in course of which I realized that my neck muscles are going to take a long time to re-train after my two months off.  They hurt like hell over the last 20k, and needed paracetamol in the evening. None too happy this morning, either.  Ditto a posteriori. Aye, there's the rub.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23419 on: 17 May, 2020, 10:07:20 am »
About 35 miles on fixed yesterday with Sam.  Felt ok, no worse than this time last year.  Did about 10 miles this morning dragging the Raleigh Twenty up to Chiseldon just to make the coaster brake shimmer with heat on the way back down NCN45.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #23420 on: 17 May, 2020, 10:04:28 pm »
31km and about 2 hours, out on the cycle path and up Firle Beacon where there were quite a lot of cars. There's plenty of space for people to spread out though, so while i daresay many could have walked (or cycled even) without the aid of a car it was a nice grassy ride in the breeze. Just before Alfriston there's a way down onto the old coach road which avoids the town - where keeping a distance might be harder. The way down is a bit steep, and I was glad it was dry. Then back along the old coach road, where my Camino was in it's gravelly element and I went faster than a mountain biker  ;D

« Reply #23421 on: 18 May, 2020, 08:23:32 am »
First trip using the car.   35 miles 2503ft assent.  Wirksworth, Elton, Yougreave, Parsley Hay, Harington, Biggen and back Via Roure 54 and 548.  Note for a Brompton a lot of 548 is unrideable, large lose stones in deep tractor ruts but a very pleasant walk ::-).   The high peak trails were not that busy but I stayed off then as much as possible.   Quiet roads most of the traffic was bikes.

« Reply #23422 on: 18 May, 2020, 07:29:56 pm »
Yes I've been out today. And I still can't work out how I get a headwind during all of a circular ride.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

bairn again

« Reply #23423 on: 18 May, 2020, 07:50:20 pm »
13km round West Edinburgh after work.  Wanted to get out the house but couldnt be ersed getting changed so just went on my commuter bike in civvies and even took on a short stretch off road. 

The weather was a bit un Edinburgh like, warm, humid and windy though it got a bit grey as I approached home.  Stopped to take a few pics to remember what passes for normal just now.

« Reply #23424 on: 19 May, 2020, 08:16:06 pm »
30.5 miles circular ride anti clockwise around beaconsfield. Lovely pottering weather   ;)

Pictures

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cf91vxpkt4G1wvAj6
the slower you go the more you see