Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814285 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #23450 on: 21 May, 2020, 01:07:32 pm »
Another super ride on Grunhilda today, of 45km. No aches, no pains, no soreness, just smiles. Almost 700km in May so far,   I really , really should have got one 15 years ago,...............so should you. :)

« Reply #23451 on: 21 May, 2020, 06:26:51 pm »
15 mile loop with the lots of exotic and interesting aromas wafting through Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill man!

« Reply #23452 on: 21 May, 2020, 06:29:26 pm »
Thanks  cudzoziemiec, and  nobby.  If you want to send me a  birthday present on the 30th as well I won't stop you   ;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #23453 on: 21 May, 2020, 07:00:14 pm »
100km with 1500m of ascent out in The Peaks, not as hot as yesterday but still very nice.

Did Monsal Head and Beeley Moor and few other big climbs.

Tough but fun!

bairn again

« Reply #23454 on: 21 May, 2020, 08:48:46 pm »
Early start to work = early finish so I was off and away on two wheels not long after 4pm for a lovely loop round West Lothian out through South Queensferry Philipstoun Lithgae and back via Kirkliston. 

It was such a lovely evening that when I got to Cramond Brig I stuck on an extra loop through Barnton and Craigleith to Murrayfield and home.  Just *the* most enjoyable cycling conditions. 

Forecast looks like it will confine me to barracks until Monday. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49209019

« Reply #23455 on: 21 May, 2020, 08:56:27 pm »
Thanks  cudzoziemiec, and  nobby.  If you want to send me a  birthday present on the 30th as well I won't stop you   ;)
Sorry Chris but with Coronavirus and all I can't get out to Poundland. :'(
Never knowingly under caffeinated

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23456 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:24:23 pm »
Oh yes you can! Chris, I'm going to get you not one but two (2!!) flags for your trike. It's all I can afford...
https://www.poundland.co.uk/111076-england-car-flag-2-pack/
 :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23457 on: 21 May, 2020, 09:29:20 pm »
Car was in for MOT today so a 60k loop until it was ready to collect after a pass thankfully.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49194712
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #23458 on: 22 May, 2020, 07:41:02 am »
Surprising amount of runners and cyclists out and about at 5.45 this morning on a 20 loop round Mid Sussex

« Reply #23459 on: 22 May, 2020, 08:09:49 am »
Oh yes you can! Chris, I'm going to get you not one but two (2!!) flags for your trike. It's all I can afford...
https://www.poundland.co.uk/111076-england-car-flag-2-pack/
 :D
Don't do it! He'll arrive in a little one horse town with a population of about 2,000, such as Craven Arms, and two local gangsta kids will steal them. It's happened before!
His trikes are treated as a gift shop by many passers by  ;D

« Reply #23460 on: 22 May, 2020, 08:16:08 am »
90-something km in search of a couple of awkward VeloViewer tiles.  Hotter than I anticipated, though I managed not to get sunburnt, and my eyes were itching for the duration.

I didn't get the camera out, so here's a library photo of the sign at Haseley Knob:

You'll have to imagine the cordoned-off manhole with a pair of ducks swimming in it, and the kid on a unicycle clutching a milkshake desperately trying to keep up with his friends on mountain bikes.
A picture for the TT thread? Percy Tait farmed here  :)

« Reply #23461 on: 22 May, 2020, 08:40:08 am »
How did you know I was flagging   ;D

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23462 on: 22 May, 2020, 01:00:40 pm »
A short 6 miles to gain a appetite for  my birthday supper. A bit warm out there   :)

Are you sure that yesterday was your birthday?
After we spoke I checked my calendar and it has you down for birthdays on the 30th of this month. It's likely to be more accurate than your memory as I'm sure you will agree! ; :)

There's nothing to stop Chris having an Official Birthday - we top people do, you know. One finds it rather surprising that it is so close to one's natural birthday, though. One's butler's assistant needs to hire extra flunkies to open the presents.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #23463 on: 22 May, 2020, 02:02:30 pm »

There's nothing to stop Chris having an Official Birthday - we top people do, you know. One finds it rather surprising that it is so close to one's natural birthday, though. One's butler's assistant needs to hire extra flunkies to open the presents.
Indeed I have one myself. Actual birthday September and half birthday March. With Father's Day and Christmas the year is neatly divided into four lots of presents. :)

« Reply #23464 on: 22 May, 2020, 06:59:25 pm »
You have to buy them all yourself though   ;D

« Reply #23465 on: 23 May, 2020, 06:09:05 pm »
There's no getting away from it - I'm gloriously unfit so I went out twice.
This morning went on a 20 mile loop with a slight detour up Ditchling Beacon and everyone drove a Saab. In the afternoon did a 15 mile loop round Burgess Hill (or Bugger's Hole as uneducated people call it)

« Reply #23466 on: 24 May, 2020, 09:56:31 am »
30 mile loop around Newick, Chailey and Scaynes Hill - I've never been greeted as 'chief' before when other cyclists pass I hope this doesn't mean I'm getting slow!

« Reply #23467 on: 24 May, 2020, 06:38:54 pm »
Badly needed to get out after the horrendous weather of the last 2 day's so headed out into still a strong wind but stayed dry for the 100k.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49438039
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

bairn again

« Reply #23468 on: 24 May, 2020, 06:47:01 pm »
Badly needed to get out after the horrendous weather of the last 2 day's so headed out into still a strong wind but stayed dry for the 100k.

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/49438039
looks a nice ride Jim. 

« Reply #23469 on: 24 May, 2020, 06:58:08 pm »
Yes. Only for an hour as I didn't get going till half four having planned to go out this morning.

Should have done another mile as that would have put me at 500 for the year with 236 miles in May alone.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #23470 on: 24 May, 2020, 07:23:30 pm »
Went out for ~50km this morning, weather was a bit grim.

Into the Peaks and back.

« Reply #23471 on: 24 May, 2020, 09:41:40 pm »
Yes. First proper ride in close on four months. Bloody windy and bloody hard for 30km with one of my best mates I've not seen properly since all this crap started. At least the wind meant that if we crept closer then 2 metres while cycling I reckon we would be safe.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23472 on: 25 May, 2020, 10:02:06 am »
Saturday evening I cooked some lentils and rice, put them in a big plastic container (and that in a plastic bag, just to be sure... but it wasn't actually needed). Sunday morning they went into the saddlebag. Up through the lanes, Tortworth, two guys in Bristol Road Club jerseys looking in vain at the locked gate of the Farmer's Table, then up the A38 for a time to take advantage of the following wind. Traffic was about normal for a Sunday, ie less than most A roads, but seemed slower. Almost as if everyone had decided to obey the 50mph speed limit for some previously unknown reason. Up to Whitminster then back down through Nupend to eat my self-sufficient, socially distant lunch of lentilly goodness by the canal. Very pleasant and while it wasn't the best dal I've ever made, it wasn't bad and certainly filled me up.

There has previously been talk of carrying handgel. Well, thought I, soap and water is better than gel. A little bar of soap in a plastic container, water is always on the bike, good. But there is a problem with this; it uses a surprisingly large amount of water. I didn't run out but with nowhere to refill on a hot day, maybe the gel is a better pre-lunch solution. More seriously, nowhere to get tea! I ought to have anticipated this and taken a thermos. Definite tea withdrawal symptoms kicking in towards the end...  ;)

Then home on the lanes, slogging into a hard headwind. I actually stopped for a snooze in field... Getting back to Olveston, another problem created by covid-time habits. There was a sign outside the church, "Cyclists! Stop for cake! Cake 50p, raising money for foodbank." Who could resist? There was a little table with cake, bottles of water and an honesty box. The problem was I've given up carrying cash – haven't used any since before lockdown – with no other way to pay, I had to go home cakeless. At least I had my lentilly goodness inside me!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #23473 on: 25 May, 2020, 11:23:39 am »
Went up White Horse Hill on the Ron Cooper (lowest gear 39 x 23 - a bit soft by 90s standards but massive these days).  Only just made it.  First ascent of the year is always horrible.

We overtook lots of other pairs of cyclists (slimmer and with more expensive bikes) but no-one overtook us  :smug:

Saw a guy on an e-MTB going up the off-road part of the hill.  Unnatural climbing speed gave it away, as he was fairly hefty!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #23474 on: 25 May, 2020, 03:41:38 pm »
65k in Bedfordshire lanes with a  hot, glorius, glittering, sunshining day. The number of people out on bikes out there was amazing to behold and long may it continue. However, the traffic is building again unfortunately. We had several example of boy racer types revving their egos and engines, the usual stuff. Lots of people in parks and by river banks including the use of small boats and rafts mmm. Could have murdered a pint!
Came across a chap having a problem whereby his inner tube kept bubbling up outside his clincher tyre near the valve seat, Schwalbe Ones I think.  I have not come across this before. damaged rim/bead? So my offer of a tube and inflation was declined and his wife arrived to pick him up so it ended well. Advised him to ditch the tyre and take advantage of the many sales on the go atm from the usual suspects.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain