Author Topic: What do you wear for Audaxes?  (Read 1769 times)

Re: What do you wear for Audaxes?
« Reply #25 on: 15 April, 2024, 04:55:54 pm »
Paramo kit also tends to have nice chunky zips and big pockets - both sadly lacking in a lot of cycling specific clothes.
And most women's clothes....

Confession - on a recent audax I returned from the farm shop to the finish with a large cheese scone in one pocket and two curd tarts in the other.

« Reply #26 on: 15 April, 2024, 06:11:32 pm »
My rain clothes strategy involves my base, and active insulation layer working in conjunction with an air permeable windproof outer.  I find I’m far more comfortable than any waterproof I’ve tried (including Paramo).  Haven’t worn a waterproof on bike for about 10 years now.

No more boil in the bag and often times less damp, even after many hours, than I got when I had a waterproof on.  You see waterproofs (other than paramo designs) don’t actively move liquid water / sweat to the outside, plus they generate much higher humidity within your layers, which causes water vapour to condense on the inside of the cold outer or makes it impossible for sweat to evaporate, and this soaks in to the layers between if your only strategy for rain was a waterproof jacket and no thought on what goes under it.

Not for everyone but it works for me, as someone who runs warm.

« Reply #27 on: 15 April, 2024, 06:29:25 pm »
Other than that I never bothered with base-layers and top layers:

Your base layer is whatever is next to your skin and top layer whatever is outermost. But I see you just used the same type of garment for all purposes.

I see these layers in this way.

1. Base layer allows sweat to evaporate (else it can’t cool you), plus absorbs very little of it or water, allowing your skin to stay as dry as possible whether it’s raining or sunny,
2. Insulation layer is basically scaffolding for air as an insulator.  Generally has hollow fibres and a large surface area. Moves liquid sweat and water away from the base layer towards the outside surface. Not windproof to offer the most flexibility.
3. Windproof / shell.  Slows ingress of outside elements such as wind and snow and wind. Allows the egress of liquid sweat and water to the outside. Allows a limited amount of air through (air permeable windproof) to stop humidity levels building if you’re working moderately hard.

You can combine 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 or 1,2,3 as conditions dictate but often you can wear the same combination over a wide range of conditions and temps and remain comfortable neither overheating nor chilling nor needing to stop to change layers every 30 mins etc.

There may also be a fourth layer, additional insulation, you throw over the top (or under windproof) either when stopped for more than a short while or you need a bit more warmth overnight.

The layer principle only works on the basis you actually take them off as well as put them on.  Often when cycling we are loath to stop to do that, and even more loath to take off things off when adding a different layer.  Adding a windproof / shell warms you up and that might mean removing an insulation layer, before you put them on. But we don’t do this, so overheat, sweat, then chill despite more layers.  More flexible layers for wider ranges of conditions often works better in this way as well.

« Reply #28 on: 15 April, 2024, 08:39:14 pm »
I also heard great things about Showers Pass, but I bought a pair of their waterproof gloves and they simply weren't waterproof (even a little bit).
I have their Elite 2.1 jacket and it is indeed great for autumn/winter/spring.  Totally waterproof unless you overdo the ventilation. A lovely orange-yellow by day and apparently very visible reflectives in the dark. But it's too warm for summer, doesn't pack down very small, and is a bit flappy.  I wish they'd make a lighter version.

« Reply #29 on: 15 April, 2024, 08:42:51 pm »
Bought a Gore Shakedry jacket before 2019 PBP . It's so light that it's my regular audax jacket .
When it chucks it down , you're going to be wetter than a wet thing anyway so carrying a heavier jacket for a small gain in shelter isn't for me.
They are still available on ebay.
+1 for Assos shorts but they are not infallible as I found out on LEL-ouch.
In hot weather the choice of bum cream and its regular use seems more important than the shorts. 
Have just bought some lightweight Giordana three quarter length shorts and the pad is very comfy.
Often carry 3/4s  as second pair for 400/600 events as they are useful at night.
On top it's usually a short sleeved jersey with a vest if it's hot or merino base if it's cooler. Plus arm warmers.

« Reply #30 on: 16 April, 2024, 08:37:02 am »
The layer principle only works on the basis you actually take them off as well as put them on.  Often when cycling we are loath to stop to do that, and even more loath to take off things off when adding a different layer.  Adding a windproof / shell warms you up and that might mean removing an insulation layer, before you put them on. But we don’t do this, so overheat, sweat, then chill despite more layers.  More flexible layers for wider ranges of conditions often works better in this way as well.

This is for sure a struggle for me. If only I had the bike handling of Sagan and could basically do an entire outfit change while descending at 70kmh.

One thing that did help was leaving the winter jacket for all but the coldest or longest rides. It's mostly because I don't have anywhere to put it unless I'm running a tail fin bag and then I never take it off even when I should. Unless temps will not go over 10, I leave it.

Arm and leg warmers with a wind proof gilet and armless wool base layer just in case have gotten me through a lot and the added benefit that they are easy to get on and off (and in and out of a pocket) so I actually do it. Gilet can be swapped for the Shakedry as needed and they pack down enough to carry both.

Shoe covers though, I can't get it right. The neoprene ones make my feet sweat so bad and the thin waterproof ones breathe well for me, but are so hard to get on and off I usually don't until it's too late and my feet are already wet.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #31 on: 16 April, 2024, 03:42:13 pm »
A Shakedry rain-jacket is the least obnoxious of its type but it is delicate and now out of production.
out of production due to phasing out of forever chemicals, as I understand it. I love mine, small and lightweight and used as often for warmth as for dryness. But they do come up really small and have no stretch in them.

Another vote for Assos shorts. Bloody expensive. Eye wateringly so. Worth every penny. Sudocrem helps.
I was upsold a pair of these before LEL. Expensive but I did not regret it. I keep them exclusively for audax, and use lesser shorts for shorter rides. My view is the number of washes is probably what defines the life of shorts not the number of kms.

Sudocrem for after riding, decent chamois cream for before if available, otherwise double up on sudocrem.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #32 on: 16 April, 2024, 05:08:51 pm »
Conotrane rather than sudocreme.  No white stains.  Just as cheap or even cheaper.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #33 on: 16 April, 2024, 05:15:04 pm »
Another vote for Assos shorts. Bloody expensive. Eye wateringly so. Worth every penny. Sudocrem helps.
I was upsold a pair of these before LEL. Expensive but I did not regret it. I keep them exclusively for audax, and use lesser shorts for shorter rides. My view is the number of washes is probably what defines the life of shorts not the number of kms.

I bought 3 pairs before PBP 2015 and used them until earlier this year.  I've had a couple of other makes - Ekoi and Castelli i.a. - but the pads are monolithic and stiff.  Assos's are really two pads, one for each buttock, with a flexible piece in between, and they stay put and move with you whereas the others tend to move away from where they ought to be.

I have 3 new pairs now and they'll probably see me out.

The other half of what you "wear" on your nethers is, of course, your saddle.  Nothing beats worn-in leather.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight