Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 68119 times)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #425 on: 08 August, 2017, 12:17:43 pm »
So, is he dead?

(click to show/hide)

I'm sure some Deus Ex Machina will be along early in the next episode.

Personally, I'm not feeling any tension about the fate of the characters at all now.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #426 on: 08 August, 2017, 12:21:24 pm »
I'm sure some Deus Ex Machina will be along early in the next episode.

(click to show/hide)

Personally, I'm not feeling any tension about the fate of the characters at all now.

Same here. I also found the battle rather dull - probably because it was too one-sided.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chris S

« Reply #427 on: 08 August, 2017, 06:53:49 pm »
...I also found the battle rather dull - probably because it was too one-sided.

Pfft... we thought it was F*cking awesome. Dothraki hoard firing arrows stood on horse-back, Boadicea-a-like riding a winged napalm machine, flying blood and guts - what's not to like?

citoyen

« Reply #428 on: 08 August, 2017, 07:18:12 pm »
Dothraki hoard firing arrows stood on horse-back

Yeah, ok, that was pretty good.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #429 on: 08 August, 2017, 07:21:30 pm »
The battle was always going to be one sided given that Danaerys had air superiority. Once she'd blown a hole in the shield war the Dothraki could flood through. Of course she should have flamed the length of the line rather than pushing holes in it but that's another discussion

fuzzy

« Reply #430 on: 09 August, 2017, 11:11:31 pm »
So, is he dead?

Well, he is certainly a tad moist.

(click to show/hide)

citoyen

« Reply #431 on: 09 August, 2017, 11:15:49 pm »
The battle was always going to be one sided given that Danaerys had air superiority. Once she'd blown a hole in the shield war the Dothraki could flood through. Of course she should have flamed the length of the line rather than pushing holes in it but that's another discussion

For that matter, why did she even bring the Dothraki to the party? Seems a bit of a frivolous waste of lives.

fuzzy

« Reply #432 on: 09 August, 2017, 11:38:29 pm »
The Dothraki are the GoT equivalant of the Inter City Firm or the Chelsea Headhunters. They love a bit of a rumble. They know, deep down in their guts, that some of them are going to get a serious dicking BUT, they still weigh in and mix it up anyway so, she couldn't have gone without them, even if she tried.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #433 on: 21 August, 2017, 08:25:48 pm »
That last one was downright boring with all the 'ooh surprise surprise dragons just in the nick of time' stuff. But I never saw the last bit coming!
Milk please, no sugar.

Chris S

« Reply #434 on: 21 August, 2017, 08:30:29 pm »
That last one was downright boring with all the 'ooh surprise surprise dragons just in the nick of time' stuff. But I never saw the last bit coming!

I did. This one was utterly predictable. There's only so far Dragon CGI and previous character investment can carry one through - and I'm flirting with that limit. Only one more to go though.

Please - don't make this end up like The Hobbit - where it only sits on the shelf for OCD completeness.

« Reply #435 on: 22 August, 2017, 07:30:19 am »

The moment it crashed, I went "Oh, now they got a dragon too!!".
Action set pieces are still good, but the rest is terrible. Tyrion, who used to be the highlight, is outright awful. Danys attempt at looking love-struck was gringe-worthy. I just want it to end now!!

« Reply #436 on: 22 August, 2017, 06:07:09 pm »
Still, it could be worse. Stephen Donaldson managed to get to the end of his 10 Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

Did he actually do anything?

Chris S

« Reply #437 on: 28 August, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »
OK OK... Sssshhhh!!! We're about to watch S07E07...

* dims lights *

Chris S

« Reply #438 on: 28 August, 2017, 08:48:27 pm »
Right! Thanks :)

As you were...

« Reply #439 on: 31 August, 2017, 08:54:24 pm »
(click to show/hide)

citoyen

« Reply #440 on: 31 August, 2017, 09:10:45 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

« Reply #441 on: 31 August, 2017, 09:29:31 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Chris S

« Reply #442 on: 31 August, 2017, 09:34:37 pm »
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #443 on: 31 August, 2017, 10:12:43 pm »
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #444 on: 29 March, 2018, 12:01:52 pm »
I've just finished watching all of Series 1 now. Have also been lent 2 and 3 as well.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #445 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:20:06 am »
Finished series 2 last night!

Still think the books are better!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #446 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:35:23 am »
The few episodes I have watched impressed me with how closely they followed the narrative in the books.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #447 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:42:28 am »
The books are always better.  I've read these books since 1996 - I even had (sold it) a 1st edition copy of the first one.

Seeing as I've now waited about 15 YEARS for these printed word thingies since A Feast for Crows (book 4) and been rewarded with ONE book (A dance with dragons) in that time - I would watch the series and forget the books if I was you.  They are now talking prequel TV series with this being the last series of the main storyline.

The general consensus, last I looked on when Book 6 (Winds of Winter) would come out - from the book fans - was on just how far up, GRRM could stick his next book - and where it was going up was in no way uncertain.  I tend to agree - he has just abandoned the books frankly.  He will never finish them.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #448 on: 08 May, 2019, 11:14:45 am »
Reminds me of Joe Poyer, an American author who wrote a couple of excellent novels under the heading A Time of War in the early 80s. They were intended to follow the fortunes of six officers of both sides throughout WW2, but he dropped it after two books.  I heard later that his publishers pissed him off so he told them to stick it; he was already making a mint out of non-fiction books about weapons.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #449 on: 08 May, 2019, 01:11:49 pm »
The other thing of course is that even if he does finally finish them you are going to know what's going to happen in the main story arc - something that rather spoiled the first few series of the TV series (for me) as I'd read the books already.

Slightly spoilery reading some of the above comments so major differences exist..

(click to show/hide)
But things like the real identity of Jon Snow, fate of the wall and Night King etc... are not going to be different in the books - by admission of the Author Himself.  Hence - are they really worth reading anyway?....

Not that I am complaining, it's been worth it for the fine TV series alone - and GRRM is his own man - he can do what he chooses with his life.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.