Linked Events

• Independence Day ride 3rd July: 03 July, 2011

Author Topic: Independence Day educational pootle around London 3rd July  (Read 2201 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Independence Day educational pootle around London 3rd July
« on: 01 June, 2011, 08:36:38 pm »
This is something I started thinking about at least 6 months ago, initially with Andrij in mind due to his US (ish) background and American Independence Day on 4th July. Then I was reminded of the bit towards the end of the Will Smith Independence Day film, when the President said it's everyone's Independence Day.

So this will be a gentle, educational pootle around the centre of London looking at the statues of the great and good (and those not so good) who in one way or another have contributed to freedom or liberation from oppression (and bizarrely in some cases, adding to oppression of others at the same time). You'll be surprised at some of the things you might discover.

Starts from Wellington Arch, Hyde Park Corner at 09.30. Probably no more than a couple of hours. I'll sort out a .gpx file at some point, once I've sorted out the order. I've also started a thread on CC, as they always have a gentle Sunday social ride.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Re: Independence Day educational pootle around London 3rd July
« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2011, 09:43:45 pm »
There's a good chance I'd be most likely up for this.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2011, 09:48:38 am »
That sounds like a very interesting idea.  Not sure what we're doing that (or any) weekend.
Getting there...

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2011, 03:36:11 pm »
What a great idea.  Shame, too, because I will be heading back from the Tan Hill ride that day ( if I am still alive) so will miss it.

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2011, 09:03:06 pm »
Sounds good. I love cycling through London, and not having a Murdoch brand on my chest makes it more enjoyable :).

Could we declare independence while we're at it?

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2011, 06:37:38 pm »
That reminds me - I must try and get hold of a copy of "Passport to Pimlico".

Anyway, for anyone who likes looking at ant trails, here's a gpx of the likely route.

If I unearth anything else interesting, I may go in a completely different direction.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2011, 06:53:20 pm »
I shall be there, and may even wear my RUSA jersey (it has stars & stripes)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:50:28 pm »
Adam, is this still on, or has your recent adventure put you off cycling for a bit?

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #8 on: 30 June, 2011, 11:16:27 am »
The legs felt a bit tired on Monday, but everything else is working fine.

So yes, this is still going ahead.

gerwinium

« Reply #9 on: 30 June, 2011, 07:42:00 pm »
Sorry, Adam, can't do this :(

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=26458.msg984445;topicseen#msg984445

Next ride I'll do for sure. :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #10 on: 30 June, 2011, 09:35:29 pm »
Sorry, Adam, can't do this :(

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=26458.msg984445;topicseen#msg984445

Next ride I'll do for sure. :)

Ouch - nasty - sooner they fix the lifts, the better.

gerwinium

« Reply #11 on: 01 July, 2011, 07:30:12 pm »
Hold the press... Foot feels okay today, and I managed a short ride. It's still a bit swollen, but hopefully that'll be fixed by Sunday. As this isn't very fast/far I should be able to make this I reckon.

gerwinium

« Reply #12 on: 03 July, 2011, 02:12:52 pm »
That was a lovely educational ride through central London, with many bits of the capital that I'd never seen before. The weather was perfect (at least for those covered in suntan lotion :) ), and apart from the odd argument with a taxi driver (I couldn't catch the details but he was happy to block all the traffic to have a go at Jurek  :facepalm:) we had no trouble with traffic. I think I have some things to look up on Wikipedia now.

Thanks for the organisation, Adam.

« Reply #13 on: 03 July, 2011, 06:53:23 pm »
Top ride, Adam.

I enjoyed the Look n' Learn experience - who knows, some of it may stay in what passes for my branes  :P.

Sorry I couldn't stay for the apres ride - BBQ at my sis's beckoned.

Just back from there, sated - 140+ miles on the clock for the weekend.

Architect of the American Embassy?
I thought it might've been Charles and Ray Eames - but kept my gob shut - just as well because it was their friend and fellow student Eero Saarinen who has done a metric shedload of other iconic stuff too.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #14 on: 03 July, 2011, 07:32:17 pm »
Thanks for coming along.

The cabbie was an interesting one, cutting Jurek up, and then a bit further on when Jurek queried his actions, he started having a go saying Jurek should wear a helmet like me.  

He then got very confused when I said "why should he wear a helmet if he doesn't want to, bearing in mind it's cars that kill people"*.  He then said it's a taxi not a car, so when I said it's still a car that kills people, he started swearing, and then got even more irate when I said that he wasn't even speaking proper English any more.  I think he realised that he'd lost the argument as he drove off rather fast.

:demon:

* Of course, afterwards I thought that I should also have said that I only wear a helmet to stop me getting sun burn.