Author Topic: HS2 - not so fast ride to Banbury - Sat. 6th April  (Read 2835 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
HS2 - not so fast ride to Banbury - Sat. 6th April
« on: 03 February, 2013, 07:46:41 pm »
Seeing as the northern route for HS2 has just been announced, I thought I'd try and tie in a ride fairly close to April Fools Day and follow the initial path of this glorious white elephant/saviour of the UK economy/ecological disaster (delete as appropriate).

The intention will be to follow as closely as possible the intended route from Euston all the way up to Banbury. 91 miles in total, with around 3,900 ft of climbing.

Setting off from outside Euston Station at 8:30 on Saturday 6th April, the ride will basically head north-west(ish) to get out of London. Apart from Wormwood Scrubs, the first bit of green won't be until after Ruislip at 20 miles. But after then, you'll start to get out in the Chilterns, and experience the great outdoors. Of course this does mean some hills, but these are middle class hills, so nothing too objectionable.

The lunch stop will probably be just after 40 miles, in Great Missenden, where you'll be able see soaring Red Kites and then we'll drop down into Aylesbury Vale, then skirt round Stoke Mandeville before heading up towards Quainton, where the HS2 route heads along the line of the long deceased Great Central Railway. If we're lucky, there might be some steam engines puffing around.

Generally the countryside here is open, with long rolling vistas on display, possible only marred by the proliferation of the "No to HS2" signs. Then it's a gentle meander around Finmere, skirting Brackley before reaching our most northerly point, where we must part company with the intended HS2 route, and head off to Banbury, where Chiltern Trains currently run trains back to London (or even further north so I understand).

Ride open to all, not just train spotters. I've also got it listed on CC.  Usual rules apply - no-one left behind. I'm expecting to get to Banbury by 6 pm, possible a bit later. 

The intended route is shown here, although this may alter very slightly.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: HS2 - not so fast ride to Banbury - Sat. 6th April
« Reply #1 on: 03 February, 2013, 07:49:59 pm »
Interested.

« Reply #2 on: 03 February, 2013, 07:58:13 pm »
It sounds like a fun idea for a ride.  I'm definitely interested in doing it.

... Of course this does mean some hills, but these are middle class hills, so nothing too objectionable. ...

That's just as well, we clearly wouldn't want to be associating with any lower class hills. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2013, 12:55:35 pm »
Including those added from over the road, the list of possible attendees so far:-

CharlieB
Davywalnuts
Ess
Jayonabike + AN Other
Kim
Martint235
Mice
Musa
rb58
StuAff
TimO
TinyMyNewt
V for Vengedetta (joining at Denham)

Hopefully it'll have warmed up by then.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2013, 07:42:27 pm »
So, next Saturday now, although after my showing at the FNRttC last week, I'm slightly worried about doing this!

Realistically, given we're starting at 8-30, with a planned finish at 18-00, that's giving us almost 12 hours, so even with some recovery stops and lunch, we're probably talking at most 10 mph average, so not too bad (two hours for lunch, and another half hour for random reasons would mean 9 hours of cycling, and 91 miles to cover, so that would be 10.11 mph).

Any other takers?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2013, 08:01:04 pm »
More than slightly worried here too.  My performance yesterday, with ostensibly functional lungs, was nearly as bad as on the FNRttC...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2013, 07:37:55 pm »
Well the good news is that it looks like it's going to be bright and sunny on Saturday, at around 8C, so not hot, but at least quite a bit warmer than freezing.  I've revamped the route to knock a couple of miles off as well as some potholes.  Unfortunately there is still a barrier to negotiate on a footpath in Park Royal which will really make you wonder how the council operate, but you'll probably fit underneath.

As posted on Cyclechat, the revised route is shown here, with the lunch stop at the Full Moon pub, Little Kingshill.  Please have a look through their main menu, shown here, and let me know what you'd like.

Otherwise, we'll see you just before 8:30 on Saturday, outside Euston station, next to the seating around the coffee places and Robert Stevenson's statue.

« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2013, 08:40:38 pm »
i will not be able to afford to eat with you but i may ride out to say hello at little kingshill  :). i would be far to slow to ride with you  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2013, 09:35:32 pm »
May I register an interest in this please?

If I still feel as I do now, I won't make it, but hopefully this lousy cough and cold will have mostly disappeared by Saturday.

To get to Euston for 8.30 requires me catching the 6.44 from Southend Central.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #9 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:28:04 am »
 :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2013, 09:36:16 am »
Sadly, I'm not going to make it. Still coughing like a bastard.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2013, 01:15:00 pm »
Yeah, I'm chickening out too.  The required sparrowfart start isn't going to help my already piss-poor cycling performance, I've left it too late for cheap train tickets, and it means I can take barakta on the second PushBikes gentle cycling ride.

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2013, 03:10:28 pm »
I'm still up for this, although the forecasts may make things interesting. Around the time I'll be leaving Croydon for the start the forecast temperatures are near to freezing, whereas the forecast for later in the day, when it's at its warmest, is almost into double figures!  I may have to live with it being a little brisk early on, to avoid overheating later on, so I don't have to carry too much clothing.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2013, 06:18:46 pm »
Sometimes I wonder if we're in Narnia with all this snow & ice.  Maybe one day we'll get some warm temperatures, so that people stop getting the lurgy.

« Reply #14 on: 05 April, 2013, 07:01:54 pm »
I imagine we'll be OK icewise on the morrow, but the air may be a bit brisk.  It'll be two hours after sunrise when we leave, so that should have allowed any slight icing to have melted.  The roads are pretty dry around here, so hopefully there's little risk of much ice forming anyway.

« Reply #15 on: 05 April, 2013, 08:08:45 pm »
i am aiming to meet at the lunch pub to hello . i need the miles this year  :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #16 on: 05 April, 2013, 08:31:29 pm »
Sadly, I'm not going to make it. Still coughing like a bastard.

Hope you're better soon.  I had kept quiet about this, but the ride goes straight past Chequers, so you could have taken the opportunity to join the protest;)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #17 on: 07 April, 2013, 05:03:33 pm »
A wave to cycleman for meeting us at the pub.  You're just visible in this slightly blurry photo.

Hope you got back OK.

Quite remarkably, we had a day of almost constant sunshine.  And it got warm.  Which made a change from the freezing temperature when we set off from Euston station at 10 am.

The full writeup can be seen here.

I could run this again in 10 years time, as an anniversary ride, as I doubt anything much will have happened by way of actual construction.

« Reply #18 on: 07 April, 2013, 07:37:14 pm »
well i look armless do i not  ;D. nice to meet you although briefly . i rode on through great missenden   and ballinger bottom and down to chesham . i then went back via little missendon, beaconsfield and burnham beechs . a very nice potter in the sunshine. 46.6 miles ave 7.0 mph  :)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #19 on: 08 April, 2013, 07:11:14 pm »
As a matter of interest, what was the price of a rail ticket from Banbury back to London after Saturday's ride?

I'm hoping to buy a ticket from Banbury to London after the Rollrights ride abd at the moment the cheapest way to do it is to buy a single to Birmingham and then another single to London (£6 eac). A single direct to London from Banbury is priced at £27.40, with no advance reductions advertised.

I recall having this problem last year, which was why I opted to go to Charlbury and Oxford.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #20 on: 08 April, 2013, 07:55:01 pm »
With a Network Railcard, a single Banbury to London was £18.10.  The very nice lady behind the counter tried to tempt me to pay 5p more and then I could get a return to come back to Banbury within the next month.  I declined.

Due to running the ride out of London, we couldn't risk buying timed tickets back, as I couldn't be sure exactly what our arrival time was.  However, I know when I was double-checking prices a week ago, some timed tickets were still available for £6, £9, £12 and £15 depending upon what time the trains were in the afternoon/evening.

I've just checked on the National Rail web site, and it seems Chiltern don't release tickets very early, as although you can get cheap tickets for £6-£9 on 18th May and earlier, it's still full price for 25th May.  Try again in a couple of days.

« Reply #21 on: 08 April, 2013, 08:27:30 pm »
Naive question; when booking on line how do you reserve bike slot?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #22 on: 08 April, 2013, 08:37:45 pm »
With operators like Chiltern, London Midland, Southern, South-Eastern they don't require you to book a bike space.  It's generally only the long distance intercity operators like Virgin or East Coast that insist on a bike booking.

Bear in mind you can only reserve a bike space if you've reserved a seat.

However, not all train operators web sites actually support booking of bike spaces, which then requires you to risk buying a seat ticket, and then ringing up to reserve a bike space - which might not be available.

Generally I tend to use the Southern Railways web site for buying all my train tickets, no matter for which operator, as

a) their web site is very user friendly
b) it lets you enter a railcard on the main entry page, not have to go into an Advanced Search option
c) they have the option to reserve a seat and book a bike space

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #23 on: 08 April, 2013, 08:44:43 pm »
With Chiltern, and some others, you will need a seat reservation to get an advance ticket. But Chiltern don't reserve seats on their trains!

They get around this by giving you a reservation bearing the carriage and seat number **/***. But there are no bike reservations. Just bung it in the doorway. However, there are power points and free wifi.

« Reply #24 on: 08 April, 2013, 08:45:32 pm »
Good stuff thank you.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain