Author Topic: New Zealand South Island. West coast??  (Read 3662 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
New Zealand South Island. West coast??
« on: 22 January, 2016, 04:12:55 am »
We are heading towards Wanaka at the moment. We need to get to Picton to get the ferry to North Island.

Should we turn right and head to the west coast, where we will very wet (again) and eaten by sand flies. Not fun, esp as we are currently enjoying alpine views from Tekapo area with sunshine.

Or go east to Dunedin, maybe via www.otagorailtrail.co.nz then get the bus back to Christchurch and then cycle from Christchurch up to Picton on the (drier) east coast?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Re: New Zealand South Island. West coast??
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2016, 05:46:48 am »
I hear that kiwi sand flies make scottish midges seem tame by comparison.   I'd avoid them at all costs.   Also, using the bus means that you can go and explore further, doesn't it?

« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2016, 06:14:45 am »
West coast is beautiful.  The glaciers.  Okarito for the White Herons, kayaking, good spot for kiwis also. Panukaiki Rocks.  It doesn't always rain on the west coast.  Go for it.  The Dunedin way will be amazing, but the west coast will be spectacular.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2016, 06:28:28 am »
West Coast any day......no contest.

« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2016, 06:30:30 am »
Three nights at Punakaiki a month ago. Sand flies not a big problem then, nothing compared to the Scottish Midges! But perhaps we were just lucky, and at a better time.

Just read your blog (thanks) about Dyers and Lyttelton - fascinating - I was on some of those roads the next (windy!) day (and earlier on the same day too). Very very good for riding.
https://www.strava.com/activities/474235967

All the best with your trip!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #5 on: 22 January, 2016, 06:50:05 am »
You will be doing he Haas Pass the easy way and miss out on the glaciers, past them it will not be so wet.

Though the Ale trail aka Otago rail trail is good, watch out for the Tiger Hill at a massive 1:50 :) And the Otago peninsula is stunning and in Dunedin there is the steepest road or street in the world, good fun having a go at.

Any were you go is great, or pop up to Mount Cook, great DOC campsite there and At Lake Tekapo the oldest church and a great place to look at stars and the colours of the lake etc etc
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #6 on: 22 January, 2016, 07:05:24 am »
We've since been informed by some locals that there is a severe weather warning in place for the west coast. More rain than usual and gales. According to the Norwegians we can expect around 10mm rain per hour for at least 3 days from Monday. Hmmmmm.

« Reply #7 on: 22 January, 2016, 07:07:37 am »
Should have stayed in the Uk. It hasn't rained here for months.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2016, 07:27:37 am »
Remember at/near Picton there is the Queen Charlotte Track (rather off road but stunning), Abel Tasman and Farewell Spit. It is also near there where the various hobs are grown that makes your ale yummy :)

Bus will help, we used them with great success when distance, weather etc needed to be jumped. Flip a coin take a pick what you really want to see (way too much in NZ to see in one trip) and go for it. No matter what you pick it will be great and stunning.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2016, 09:56:17 am »
WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST

« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:06:17 am »
Don't skip the West Coast unless you want an excuse to go back.

It's got
GLACIERS
(It's also got my niece Laurel)

WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST WEST COAST
O, and read this

Chris N

« Reply #11 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:07:00 am »
Head to Christchurch, see if the weather improves - then pick a coast.  You can always go over Arthur's Pass if you want to get to the West Coast.  FWIW we enjoyed the East coast better - Kaikoura was the best place we stayed while we were there - but that may have been down to the weather.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12 on: 22 January, 2016, 10:09:00 am »
Clare and fboab, I'm not sure what you two mean ... :)

« Reply #14 on: 22 January, 2016, 01:57:16 pm »
Just go to the North Island  ;D

« Reply #15 on: 22 January, 2016, 02:51:15 pm »
West Coast definitely, the east coast between Christchurch and Picton will be much busier at this time of year.
It might well rain on the West Coast but it won't last more than two or three days probably.
Sandflies are not a big issue, nowhere near as bad as Scottish midgies.
West Coast scenery is much better than the east coast too.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #16 on: 24 January, 2016, 08:48:39 am »
We are now in Wanaka and will have a rest day tomorrow (I NEED one). The weather forecast seems to have 4-5 of clear (even some sun) on the west coast from Wednesday so we think west coast it is. We reckon a 2 day ride to Haast starting tuesday morning should see us in Haast by Wednesday night and then it should be mostly dry until Sunday, which should give us time to get close to Greymouth. Fingers crossed!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #17 on: 24 January, 2016, 09:52:17 am »
The ride from Wanaka to Haas Pass is beautiful, we did it the other way. So you will get a long drag up and then the weeeeeee down to Haas.

If you fancy there is a beautiful comedy off road from Wanaka along the lake, then river to Albert town and then along the river to Lake Hawea. The surface might be better now five years later.

« Reply #18 on: 24 January, 2016, 03:15:06 pm »
We are now in Wanaka ..................

Brilliant place and really enjoyed my time there.  I though it was cool California attitude with Lake District scenery.

We missed the West Coast as we were too obsessed with trying to climb things like Mt Cook.  It is a long way away and really wish we had spent less time in their 'alps' and more time doing things like West Coast.  Go and enjoy the coast!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #19 on: 25 January, 2016, 10:00:24 am »
Watch out for the Keas, they'll eat your tyres if they get the chance.

« Reply #20 on: 25 January, 2016, 10:51:57 am »
No problems with Keas but my ankles suffered from sand fly bites.  Wanaka Brewery has the nearest thing you will find to British beer i.e not gassy.  The transport museum outside Wanaka is worth a visit, and marvelously disorganised collection.  http://www.nttmuseumwanaka.co.nz/

« Reply #21 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »
Wanaka is one of my favourite places in NZ. We met a lovely couple at the campsite by Lake Hawea, Paul and Penny - aka the Two Ps - who are still our good friends. They treated us to delicious carrot cake at the Soul Food Organic cafe after we'd cycled the lakeside off-road trail with them. We talked about cycle touring and on the back of our chat they went on to tour in Europe and ended up living in Spain for a while. Ah, lovely memories.

Hope you're having fun, A&P!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:40:05 pm »
Wanaka was the 'end' of our NZ tour, enjoyed a few beers there numbing my bum :)
We rode down the west and weren't overly bothered by sandflies (only had to run away from them once). We'd heard that they were worse further south in Fjordland.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #23 on: 27 January, 2016, 03:07:55 am »
Great ride yesterday and today to get here (Haast). Like Scotland on steroids. It's now raining. Typical. Hopefully it'll stop so we can get the tent up.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #24 on: 27 January, 2016, 03:27:41 am »