Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 187506 times)

Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #125 on: 26 April, 2012, 09:05:23 pm »
OK - I've 2 more weeks to go and then I'll be freeish on Thursday nights again for the summer. I hope to get out with you again at least occasionally. Unfortunately York is still too far for me to get down after work but Northallerton is just about do-able.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #126 on: 28 April, 2012, 02:50:47 pm »
OK - I've 2 more weeks to go and then I'll be freeish on Thursday nights again for the summer. I hope to get out with you again at least occasionally. Unfortunately York is still too far for me to get down after work but Northallerton is just about do-able.

Fantastic news.  You know, the question have been asked most often on these rides this year is "Have you heard from SlowCoach?", I can now say yes, via the forum, and hopefully in the not too distant future be able to say yes, he was on the Thursday night ride with us.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

« Reply #127 on: 30 April, 2012, 01:23:15 pm »
Looks like we might have half-decent weather for this and there is the little matter of raising a glass of thanks to our (currently)Nepalese correspondent.

So maybe another try @ Scorton, will have to modify the route slightly though, as the road to Danby Whiske is closed for re-surfacing :(

Any takers?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LindaG

« Reply #128 on: 30 April, 2012, 01:26:51 pm »
Werking  :'(

tiermat

« Reply #129 on: 30 April, 2012, 01:32:23 pm »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO for werk :(

I'll have your pint, LG :)

« Reply #130 on: 30 April, 2012, 01:47:11 pm »
I'm currently trying to sort something - but don't count on me though, as it's not definite.

Planning ahead - is anyone interested in a non-riding alternative on Thursday 17th May? Durham is hosting a round of the Halfords Tour Series http://www.tourseries.co.uk/ArticleView.asp?id=387&ShowCat=.

They are using the same circuit that they've used the past 2 years - it's evil. You can get close to the racing and, as it's only a one mile circuit you see lots of action. I'm no normally a cycle racing fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed this on the previous two occasions it ran.

It would be pointless bringing a bike (they are a nightmare handling them in the crowds), and it's a bit far for some of the York crowd, but there's plenty of pubs for after. The racing kicks off at 7pm and will be over by 8:15.

Just saying like...

tiermat

« Reply #131 on: 30 April, 2012, 01:50:41 pm »
That sounds like a brilliant plan, SC, but I am going off to Majorca on the Saturday of that week so will not be allowed out to play that night :(

It's a shame as I enjoyed watching the Durham round the most last year, that narrow, cobbled, uphill bit made for some interesting incidents....

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #132 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:27:19 pm »
IN!

LindaG

« Reply #133 on: 30 April, 2012, 02:54:55 pm »
Werking  >:(

tiermat

« Reply #134 on: 30 April, 2012, 03:14:42 pm »
As regards this week, it's also 'possibly' (the limiting factor is Pugsley's lighting setup - I'd like to install something that'll last all of the ride, not just the first half of it)

The first half, weather permitting, should be in daylight anyway, it's the return from the pub that is usually in darkness (and takes ~1hour)

« Reply #135 on: 30 April, 2012, 03:18:32 pm »
As regards this week, it's also 'possibly' (the limiting factor is Pugsley's lighting setup - I'd like to install something that'll last all of the ride, not just the first half of it)

The first half, weather permitting, should be in daylight anyway, it's the return from the pub that is usually in darkness (and takes ~1hour)

What Interzen means is "he would like t install something that works"  :demon:

He's already figured out he needs nothing for the 1st half of the ride - just a little illumination for the trip after the pub  ;D ;D ;D

tiermat

« Reply #136 on: 30 April, 2012, 03:25:33 pm »
Sorry, my brain is running at about the same efficiency of this Lenovo T61 that I am having to use for work purposes, i.e. close to zero!

« Reply #137 on: 03 May, 2012, 02:35:06 pm »
Next week - Thurs 10th - I'm trying to plan ahead so MasterCharly and I can join this outing (if there is one).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

CrinklyLion

« Reply #138 on: 03 May, 2012, 03:31:05 pm »
T - usual time and place?  Am about to head back to town, travelling on a bus thru the land that mobile telephony forgot to go collect my bike from one place then drop off the work panniers of doom and collect lights and stuff  from home in hope of making the TPE!

tiermat

« Reply #139 on: 03 May, 2012, 03:34:23 pm »
Kat, yes, usual time and place

« Reply #140 on: 04 May, 2012, 04:47:43 pm »
Right - I'm heading down to N/A for next Thursday's ride (May 10th). If  commit now, I'll have to do it (or so I keep telling myself).

Knowing my luck at the moment though, I'll be the only person who can make it...

tiermat

« Reply #141 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:41:00 am »
After a discussion this weeks ride is to The Moor and Pheasant @ Dalton.

Short ride back to Thirsk for those heading South and a bit further for those heading North (if going from NTR).

Fingers crossed for weather as nice as we had on Sunday :)

Show of hands please.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #142 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:52:42 am »
Copper dragon and buckets of chips? M'in!

« Reply #143 on: 08 May, 2012, 06:36:36 pm »
I'm in for this one, but I may be a few minutes late getting to Northallerton (I'll most likely arrive at the station at 18:07 - it looks unlikely that I'll manage the earlier train.

tiermat

« Reply #144 on: 11 May, 2012, 09:08:38 am »
Well last night was the most fun I have had on one of these rides this year.

In the end there was 5 of us, Slowcoach, LG, crusty, CL and myself.

It had been raining, on and off, all day and I didn't hold out much hope of it not raining in the evening (as it happens it only rained once, and then that was brief).

We set off following the start of the route from Sunday, but at the junction where upon we turned right to get to the pub on Sunday, we turned left towards Thirsk.  swooping through lanes on what was becoming a lovely warm evening, down to Thirsk, past Tesco and Lidl then out through Sowerby, past the house where I grew up, past my late maternal grandparents house and once more into the lanes to Dalton.  Once at Dalton we made our way down to the Moor and Pheasant for beer and chips.  Crusty, somehow, managed to get my order, but they soon rectified the mistake.  After copious amounts of chatter we re-mounted and retraced our steps to Thirsk, to drop CL off at the station for her train home.

Then there was 4, through Carlton Minniott, Sandhutton, Kirby Whiske, Newby Whiske and back to Romanby.  At the end of our road we said goodbye to SC who was going to catch a train.  LG and crusty came back to my house, put the bikes back on their car and departed.  I walked into the house with a big big smile.

Highlights, for me, were:
Riding like and Indian ("Hello, Hello, Goodbye")
The group forming, splitting, reforming in a different configuration.
Chatting to everyone on that ride.

We deffo must do it again.

tiermat

« Reply #145 on: 16 May, 2012, 10:47:37 am »
Just a reminder.

THERE IS NO THURSDAY RIDE THIS WEEK.

Some people are heading up to Durham for the Halfords Series racing and I am packing a suitcase (no, Mrs T hasn't kicked me out, I am going on holiday! :) )

Have a good evening in Durham.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #146 on: 16 May, 2012, 11:11:28 am »

Some people are heading up to Durham for the Halfords Series racing and I am packing a suitcase (no, Mrs T hasn't kicked me out, I am going on holiday! :) )

I'll pop round later then :demon:

Have a gudun.

tiermat

« Reply #147 on: 28 May, 2012, 05:22:54 pm »
I shall be down south this week, so not planning on a ride, I am afraid :(

Sometimes work really pisses me off :( :(

CrinklyLion

« Reply #148 on: 28 May, 2012, 05:28:29 pm »
:(

You away all week or would you be able to come out to play on Wednesday?

tiermat

« Reply #149 on: 28 May, 2012, 05:54:56 pm »
tomorrow morning through to Thursday, ETA of return as yet unknown :(