Author Topic: AndrewC's Nederland Noodle  (Read 10026 times)

AndrewC's Nederland Noodle
« on: 26 August, 2017, 10:13:24 pm »
a looong day on the railways.  Liverpool to Nuneaton to Leicester, to St Pancras. Rode to Liverpool St then Manningtree to Harwich.  No missed connections & while I'll swear about the provison for cyclists on some of the trains the staff were as helpful as possible.

A few hours in the ferry terminal lounge then I rode out to join many other cyclists queuing up. I then realised I'd left my phone in the lounge & had already gone through Passport control. I was just getting ready to do an illegal border crossing when a nice lady from the terminal asked if I was missing anything....
Only a brain...

We'd been told not to ride onto the ferry but ignored the instructions & pedalled onto the car deck.

Found my cabin, had something to eat. Now time to decide where to go tomorrow.
Initial thoughts are to follow the Meuse towards Nijmegen and then head up to Arnhem.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Re: AndrewC's Nederland Noodle
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2017, 10:30:24 pm »
Keep us up to date as always....... :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2017, 08:15:56 am »
A plot nights sleep followed by a large & extortionately expensive breakfast. Off the ferry & its a lovely day

Currently on LF12 which goes all the way to Maastricht.

Pics & route at [size=78%]Nederland Noodle[/size]
http://tmt.li/wzfs2

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2017, 04:23:28 pm »
If you have time and the inclination visit Heeswijk nr Nijmegen (ish). Arthur van Rooij has fabulous collection of Gios, Colnago , Merckx & Gazelle classic steel. You can find him on Facebook 'Vintage Bicycles Holland'. Bring us a couple back...  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2017, 04:41:00 pm »
If you find yourself heading for Venlo let me know and I will pop across and say hello  :)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2017, 08:35:51 pm »
95Km today', longest I've done with luggage this year so will probably feel it tomorrow.

2 tunnels under rivers, 2 ferries & 4 beers.

Basically off the ferry & turn right onto the waymarked LF12a route, which I follow for the rest of the day.

Starts out going through very industrial but still green , lots of heavy traffic on the river. The industry tapers off after Rotterdam and then the route starts following smaller tributaries. Lots of traffic on the various bike tours, roadies, family groups, old couples on electric assist bikes & gangs of people on "Brommers". Everyone having a good time.

Lunch was a huge burger with bacon & cheese & fries. 2 beers.
It's a very hot day & I forgot to top my water up so have a couple more later.

Stop at de Knotwig, campsite near Werkendam.
Sausage & tomato & pasta. I forgot tea bags!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2017, 11:43:29 pm »
I forgot tea bags!
Oh dear. That's it. Holiday over. There's no point going on into the semi-civilized lands without tea bags. You'll just have to head back home, then hop back on the next train from Lime St to Euston.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 28 August, 2017, 02:17:58 am »
I think that it is at times like this that YACF needs to rally round. Andrew! You must make for Venlo at your earliest convenience! The rest of us must find a reliable source of Lapsang Souchon and appoint our fastest courier to deliver them forthwith to Auntie Helen, who knows a thing or two about brewing up in foreign climes. We're British God damn it! The sun has never set on our capacity to make tea, even if it is a foul foreign tincture that tastes like a cross between Russian Black pipe tobacco and Hummers' Yellowed Thong of Ambition. The teabags will get through!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #8 on: 28 August, 2017, 06:11:26 am »
Woken rudely with a bang! One of the baffles on my Exped mattress has popped, so I've got an unseemly bulge.....

Cool & misty, lots of dew .  I seem to have a cold starting as well  :facepalm:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #9 on: 28 August, 2017, 09:00:37 am »
Is Wowbagger Tim Brooke-Taylor in disguise...? Ask TimC if he could manage a bit of a wider turn as he's coming in to the UK so we can air drop Andrew's tea bags.
VELOMANCER

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #10 on: 28 August, 2017, 10:32:03 am »
Lipton Yellow Label is a reasonable attempt at UK style teabags, otherwise there is an expat shop in Utrecht.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 28 August, 2017, 11:05:50 am »
Hmmm. Unseemly bulge might need surgery. You have your EHIC card...?
VELOMANCER

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #12 on: 28 August, 2017, 01:15:49 pm »
Lipton Yellow Label is a reasonable attempt at UK style teabags, otherwise there is an expat shop in Utrecht.

Bleurgh.

While I grant you they look like teabags their contents creates a brew most usefully employed as a drain cleaner.

« Reply #13 on: 28 August, 2017, 04:47:43 pm »
Looks like today is going to be a risible 40km on account of not getting away till 10:30. There was no one to pay so I just left €10 in the office. Beautiful countryside, elevated roads & bike paths above the river delta. Masses of bird life. Everywhere looks clean & prosperous compared to the UK 😕 Unfortunately everywhere was also shut apart from a cafe & a couple of bars. So still no teabags.

I need Charlotte to do her "Woman From Twinings" act, dive out of a plane clad in black, sneak into my tent & leave a box of the life giving teabags on my pillow.

Edit: that probably counts for inclusion in the "You Know You're Middle Aged " thread.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #14 on: 28 August, 2017, 05:23:01 pm »
Coincidentally she's on the hunt for a ver' ver' fast motorbike.

Be careful what you wish for...
VELOMANCER

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #15 on: 28 August, 2017, 06:50:39 pm »
Unfortunately everywhere was also shut apart from a cafe & a couple of bars.
Ah, the good old "gesloten op maandag" - one of the first phrases we learnt in Dutch, having arrived (you've guessed it) on a Monday.

« Reply #16 on: 28 August, 2017, 06:52:54 pm »
I found a little ziplock bag of teabags in my cooking kit. Bog knows how long they'd been there, and not the smoky, tarry badness of LS, but its caffeinated  :smug:

« Reply #17 on: 28 August, 2017, 07:55:53 pm »
Looks like I'm going to have to go shopping for a new mat.
Where is likely to have Thermarest or similar?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18 on: 28 August, 2017, 11:38:53 pm »
VELOMANCER

« Reply #19 on: 29 August, 2017, 07:30:55 am »
Thanks. Ouch! A replacement Synmat UL 9 LW is €199 at some places  :jurek:

It's the most comfortable mat I've had but is well outside its 2 year warranty  :(

« Reply #20 on: 29 August, 2017, 12:30:41 pm »
Decathlon are in Amsterdam and do their own mats. Possible temp solution.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: 29 August, 2017, 02:41:36 pm »
Exped seem keen on repairing/replacing anyway. Their website states they don't like adding to landfill if they don't have to.

One of our baffles failed last month on our way to Venice and although outside warranty (but admittedly only three months outside) they have offered a replacement since we got it home. It's worth a try with them although you will probably have to carry the broken one all the way home first (or post it to a friend) and also buy a temporary replacement.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 29 August, 2017, 05:44:44 pm »

Bleurgh.

While I grant you they look like teabags their contents creates a brew most usefully employed as a drain cleaner.
They are drinkable in extremis or after prolonged habituation.

I found a little ziplock bag of teabags in my cooking kit. Bog knows how long they'd been there, and not the smoky, tarry badness of LS, but its caffeinated  :smug:
The Empire is safe!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23 on: 29 August, 2017, 08:56:42 pm »
It's been hot, 32+ according to the forecast, and very humid.  65Km

I slept unclothed most of the night, only pulling the sleeping bag over me in the small hours when it had cooled down.  Morning porridge was interrupted by a low level flypass by a couple of Apache gunships.
I paid up & cycled to the first of the days 3 ferries & onto another island. This place is just little lumps in a big river. More of the same riding, quiet paths above the fields, distant views of villages & churches, birdlife & herds of cattle bathing in the river.

As with any path of its type the LF12 is trying to show you the pretty bits & taking every twist & turn to do so, if I wanted to cover distance I wouldn't be using it. It takes you past the outskirts of most villages, but when I've ventured in there are bars & cafes but a dearth of small grocery shops. Have the supermarkets killed them all?

Lunch was uitsmijter with 3 beers. Another beer was consumed at a cafe later on....

And now I'm unwell, a rumbling tum has had me trotting to the loo 3 times so far. A bit zonked earlier as well

Too much beer? Too little fluid of other types? 2 large mugs of tea with breakfast, about 1.5l of water from the bottles, about 1.25l of 5% beer spread over the afternoon.  3 large mugs of tea tonight

Edit: despite clean, well broken in shorts I've a sore botty! Sweat I suspect. Feels like I've been riding on sandpaper 😭

« Reply #24 on: 30 August, 2017, 06:46:48 am »
It rained overnight, today's forecast is cooler with more rain.
My mat partially deflated as well so I think it's time to go shopping.
No other nocturnal emergencies....

Just waiting for the kettle to boil