Author Topic: Bushcraft festivals  (Read 2553 times)

Bushcraft festivals
« on: 22 August, 2011, 02:57:35 pm »
Just got back from one in Dorset. This is the first time I've been to this kind of event.
It fell into an odd sort of category. There was a lot going on, lots of demos of crafts at the various trade stands and (importantly) loads going on for kids.
I found myself more attracted to the crafts side of the event than the actual "living off the land"/rough camping aspect.

There were an awful lot of people who could have been failed auditioners for the part of Mike from "Spaced", but the general atmosphere was very laid back and friendly, despite knives (or perhaps because of!!!), everywhere, on everyone from about the age of 6 upwards!

The kids both took a class in responsible knife handling, for which they got very nice enamelled badges and the right to carry their knives wherever they wanted on the site.

I have an irresistible urge to carve a spoon...

Re: Bushcraft festivals
« Reply #1 on: 22 August, 2011, 04:23:08 pm »
Go on then! It's very satisfying. Then carve a bowl...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2011, 04:58:44 pm »
The kids both took a class in responsible knife handling, for which they got very nice enamelled badges and the right to carry their knives wherever they wanted on the site.

Brilliant  :thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2011, 05:19:27 pm »
I couldn't help thinking that you would have been in heaven Charlotte. Dirty camping + big knives + an entire stand devoted to dozens of different types of stoves.
I even bought a knife, but don't ask me what it is, it's just a bsic carbon steel hobbyist jobbie. Possibly a Mora or similar. It's got a red handle.

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2011, 11:07:39 pm »
Some Mora knives are just the job for carving spoons...
My lad and I used to go to  a weekly session of green woodworking. Tom had a go at doing almost everything, but I got hung up on spoons and bowls. Great fun.

« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2011, 09:02:23 am »
Just got back from one in Dorset. This is the first time I've been to this kind of event.

I have an irresistible urge to carve a spoon...

I went to one at a bison farm, in Dorset I think, about six years ago. Lots of OAP SAS wannabes with neck knives and Tilley hats, but I bought a nice sheath knife, a curved blade knife and booked a three day one to one living off the seashore.

My first spoon I threw away because the blood from the gash in my thumb stained the wood. With my second spoon I concentrated on carving the bowl as thin as possible. It was pretty good until I went right through and took a section out of the ball of my thumb. That's when I realised that MRE spoons are actually very good and even a nice folding, Ti spork isn't expensive compared to bleeding to death  :)
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2011, 10:39:26 am »
That's the one we went to. Lots and lots of youngsters and generally a good vibe.
The wannabees were all camped in the woods under dripping tarps and covered in mud!

A Mora spoon carving knife is currently parked in my bookmarks list for when my expenses claim for a trip to the USA is approved.

« Reply #7 on: 23 August, 2011, 11:01:26 am »
I have a couple of spoon carving knives.

The mora ones aren't actually all that good. The double-edged one is pants until you regrind the blade (as advised by Robin Wood, grand master of these sorts of things).

The mora straight bladed knives are the dogs danglies - the 106 does everything you'll ever need and is less than a tenner.

A guy called Dave Budd makes a fantastic spoon carving blade. Blade-only is £15, then you do final sharpening and handle it yourself.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #8 on: 24 August, 2011, 11:07:27 am »
I have a couple of spoon carving knives.

The mora ones aren't actually all that good. The double-edged one is pants until you regrind the blade (as advised by Robin Wood, grand master of these sorts of things).

The mora straight bladed knives are the dogs danglies - the 106 does everything you'll ever need and is less than a tenner.

A guy called Dave Budd makes a fantastic spoon carving blade. Blade-only is £15, then you do final sharpening and handle it yourself.

He was there, had stuff for sale on his stand, but I didn't think to look at the spoon carving blades. I remember thinking that £35 for the knives seemed high, but as always, woodworking tools should not be cheap!

Thanks for the link to Robin Wood as well. What a fantastic blog!

« Reply #9 on: 24 August, 2011, 11:16:21 am »
He charges quite a lot to put a handle on them, as it's time-consuming. I think that the blade I have would have cost £45 if I'd wanted it handled.

If you think £35 is high, don't ever look at things like the Ray Mears Woodlore.
http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/72-Woodlore-Knife/
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 24 August, 2011, 01:18:39 pm »
That £35 includes honing the knife and adding the handle, so I think it's pretty reasonable all told.

Anything to do with Ray Mears or Bear Grylls is going to attract a premium just because of the associated names.
There was some incredible craftsmanship on display at the festival.