Author Topic: Seeking test prints of a zine  (Read 1248 times)

Seeking test prints of a zine
« on: 09 March, 2020, 11:54:44 am »
Hi,

I've been making a zine after some friends got sold some secondhand bikes that were scarily sub-standard (loose brake pads, apple-corer handlebars, best not to mention the seating arrangements...).

The uni printers are messing me around though, does anyone fancy giving this a test print (and a proof read too if you're keen)?

1 sheet of double-sided A4 [link removed as the zine has now been published]
Intended to be printed at 100% scale, but I'm also curious to learn about what happens if things go different (or American).

Mostly I just need to check that content isn't getting lost or chopped off anywhere.

Thank you  :thumbsup:

Folding instructions:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Seeking test prints of a zine
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2020, 12:13:46 pm »
*warms up the laserjet*

*glares at repeated failure to duplex*

*blames adobe, gives up and folds two sheets back to back*

*wraps head around origami requirement*

Everything appears to be in the right place relative to the folds, at least to within the accuracy of my Blue Peter skills.  (On standard A4)

Content-related observations:
-What do my instincts tell me to do?
-Safety check 23 just stops.
-Be good explain *why* the lack of bar-end plugs is important, given the frequency with which I explain it to newbies who have no idea of the danger.
-Fork on backwards might be worth a mention?

Good stuff  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 09 March, 2020, 01:02:57 pm »
Thanks Kim.

-What do my instincts tell me to do?
-Safety check 23 just stops.
-Be good explain *why* the lack of bar-end plugs is important, given the frequency with which I explain it to newbies who have no idea of the danger.
-Fork on backwards might be worth a mention?

Instincts - to just walk away.

Check 23 text box enlarged - good catch!

Bar end plugs - what's the most efficient way of explaining bar plugs, do you think? "to prevent gouging" "to prevent coring"? Do either of those communicate effectively? (I don't really have much more space than that to work with.)

Forks on backwards - will see if I can fit it in.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2020, 01:17:10 pm »
"To prevent gouging" sounds good.  I think the problem's fairly clear once people give it a moment's thought.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #4 on: 09 March, 2020, 01:24:37 pm »
One of those things that's easier to show than tell IMO - you could use B+W photos of an apple that's been pushed into an un-plugged handlebar and say 'don't let this be you'...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2020, 01:25:39 pm »
One of those things that's easier to show than tell IMO - you could use B+W photos of an apple that's been pushed into an un-plugged handlebar and say 'don't let this be you'...

Sure, but that takes even more space.

bludger

« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2020, 01:27:25 pm »
Depends, if it's shot cautiously it could take up no more space than 2x passport photos.

GL with the zine nikki.

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2020, 01:30:36 pm »
Depends, if it's shot cautiously it could take up no more space than 2x passport photos.

On this, that's half a page.

bludger

« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2020, 01:55:42 pm »
I did a test print - I find knowing 'how to read it' a bit confusing but no content is clipped out etc. I am quite a clumsy fat fingered person anyway.

Ban cars.

« Reply #9 on: 09 March, 2020, 02:17:22 pm »
Does 19 peter out too, or does "20 Gear sprockets" follow on?

Nice work, nikki.

Just a tiny typographical thing: I like how you've put an acute accent on derailleur on 17, but then there are 3no instances in 21 and 23 where there isn't one...

« Reply #10 on: 09 March, 2020, 02:25:56 pm »
PS It's a nice little booklet at A3!

It's probably worth saying that you shouldn't buy a bike without riding it first.  I bought a second-hand Frog 62 bike for my lad last summer.  When I gave it a test ride I was pretty sure it had a bent pedal spindle - nonetheless I was happy to buy it on the basis that pedals are quite cheap.  It was only when I'd put some new pedals on that I realised that it was actually the driveside crank that was slightly bent (how do you do that!?!), and getting hold of the right crankset was a nuisance!

« Reply #11 on: 09 March, 2020, 02:46:03 pm »

hehehehe! My goodness the zine does look a bit tiny there!

Thanks Legs: Found space to emphasise the test ride and expanded 19. Went with removing the accent on derailleur in the end. Fixed my second-hand / secondhand inconsistencies whilst I was at it!

« Reply #12 on: 09 March, 2020, 03:47:03 pm »
Version updated to 1.1

[link removed as the zine has now been published]

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #13 on: 09 March, 2020, 04:04:28 pm »
PS It's a nice little booklet at A3!

It's probably worth saying that you shouldn't buy a bike without riding it first.  I bought a second-hand Frog 62 bike for my lad last summer.  When I gave it a test ride I was pretty sure it had a bent pedal spindle - nonetheless I was happy to buy it on the basis that pedals are quite cheap.  It was only when I'd put some new pedals on that I realised that it was actually the driveside crank that was slightly bent (how do you do that!?!), and getting hold of the right crankset was a nuisance!

I managed to bend a brand-new Stronglight 99 left crank to the extent that it fouled the chainstay after decking on black ice.  Fortunately single cranks for Stronglight chainsets were comparatively easy to come by circa 1985.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime