Author Topic: supplies on the long stages  (Read 3147 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
supplies on the long stages
« on: 03 August, 2022, 11:22:24 am »
there are three legs of over 110km, what are the options for refuelling and collecting water on these legs?
Malton - Barnard Castle
Moffat to Dunfermline
Barnard Castle to Malton

Optional cafe's are marked on the ride with gps on the Barnard Castle to Brampton leg which is not as long.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Re: supplies on the long stages
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:03:23 pm »
Found these (on google maps only) for these 3 legs:

Malton-BC: @ 27km Helmsley, @85km Middleton Tyas 1 km detour to M1 stop 24hr
Moffat-Dnfrmln: @ 46 Biggar BP 6am-10pm a bit past town
BC-Malton: @52 NorthHallerton ESSO 6-10pm detour right, Tesco 6-12am detour left

« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:07:55 pm »
Northbound through the Moors, there's a wee shop/tea room in Hawnby, and loads of stuff in Osmotherley.

Southbound, there's an excellent bakery and a cafe in Hovingham (I think that's on the route anyway).

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:20:43 pm »
I'm not trusting myself to remember where these are, or indeed not to cycle past anywhere that doesn't have a big flashing neon sign saying "Cyclist stop here, last water before Dunfermline" or anything like that. So I'm taking energy bars and 4 bottles with me for the long sections.

« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:33:44 pm »
On Dunfermline leg you pass some COOPs open till 10pm around 60-70km into leg. St Ives leg there is an ESSO after Barkway at 60km when waiting to cross A505 Flint Cross. Go right onto pavement before crossing A505 to reach it, less than 50m. I plan to stop there to top up water.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:34:06 pm »
Not sure this is of any use to you, as I'm not doing LEL, but in Scotland we have Top Up Taps. I often use the one in Montrose, and I always plot their location when I'm doing longer routes if I'm going near one. They're basically public water fountains, maintained by Scottish Water. They are cleaned and disinfected weekly.

There's a map here: https://www.yourwateryourlife.co.uk/find-your-nearest-top-up-tap/

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2022, 01:26:26 pm »
On Dunfermline leg you pass some COOPs open till 10pm around 60-70km into leg. St Ives leg there is an ESSO after Barkway at 60km when waiting to cross A505 Flint Cross. Go right onto pavement before crossing A505 to reach it, less than 50m. I plan to stop there to top up water.
not too worried about the st ives leg. Unless it is super hot, I should be able to manage 100km at the start of the ride in one go.

On the other legs I expect to be passing through between 10am and 6pm, so no need for 24 hour stuff.

« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2022, 01:34:49 pm »
Somebody has been copying my homework 😉

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2022, 01:37:20 pm »
Not sure this is of any use to you, as I'm not doing LEL, but in Scotland we have Top Up Taps. I often use the one in Montrose, and I always plot their location when I'm doing longer routes if I'm going near one. They're basically public water fountains, maintained by Scottish Water. They are cleaned and disinfected weekly.

There's a map here: https://www.yourwateryourlife.co.uk/find-your-nearest-top-up-tap/

Sam

we need more of this, and further I would make it a requirement that all public building with a water supply fit an external tap for public use. spring load them if they are worried about wastage.
(council offices/pubic toilets/village halls etc etc)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2022, 02:39:37 pm »
Publicly accessible taps are marked on OSM and there are also a several of apps:
https://www.water.org.uk/news-campaigns/campaigns/refill/
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2022, 03:30:27 pm »
Publicly accessible taps are marked on OSM and there are also a several of apps:
https://www.water.org.uk/news-campaigns/campaigns/refill/
the trouble with these lists is they are not available at audax o clock
"There are now over 30,000 Refill Stations listed on the app in the UK, including large chains such as Morrisons, Costa Coffee and John Lewis."
I don't want to be dependent on friendly businesses as they tend to close outside of sensible times.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2022, 03:36:15 pm »
Yeah! I think the ones marked on OSM are actual public drinking fountains, but of course they can be turned off or broken too.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.