Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 939988 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8350 on: 08 April, 2019, 11:36:34 am »
Isle of Dogs. Quirky and quite amusing, and held us to the end. Never caught fire, but worth watching.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8351 on: 08 April, 2019, 10:29:24 pm »
Green book.   Thought it was very good, well worth seeing.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ian

« Reply #8352 on: 09 April, 2019, 09:55:10 am »
I think we have until May, and we've already chalked up the first two.

Now four! I forgot the did a Hulk standalone. Eighteen left in our Marvel Marathon before early May and I'm travelling next week. We're going to need more popcorn.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8353 on: 09 April, 2019, 12:39:02 pm »

Now four! I forgot the did a Hulk standalone. Eighteen left in our Marvel Marathon before early May and I'm travelling next week. We're going to need more popcorn.
Don't think we will forget this, the next time you are looking down your nose at our cultural preferences.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ian

« Reply #8354 on: 10 April, 2019, 09:22:10 am »
Up to six. A bit sleepy this morning aboard the mothership. Dangerous times for another banana mishap.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #8355 on: 10 April, 2019, 12:12:17 pm »
Why stop at the 22? What's wrong with the Fantastic Four, X-men and Spidey 20th Century Fox efforts.  You surely can't compare and contrast effectively otherwise? :-D
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

ian

« Reply #8356 on: 10 April, 2019, 01:20:28 pm »
I'm not sure I'm ready for a DC marathon, that sounds like too much hard work. I will say the Marvel's to date have been as consistently good as I remembered.

If we were proper hardcore, we'd pull in the TV shows – at a minimum, Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter (sorely missed), etc. not to mention all the Netflix stuff. But I think we'd have to stop sleeping till May.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8357 on: 10 April, 2019, 02:04:21 pm »

Only 21 according to wiki, so that's a couple of hours of your life you can have back - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films

I had to look it up for my own benefit, to work out how many of them I've seen - I can't remember whether or not I've seen any of the Iron Man sequels or just the first one, and I know I've seen Ang Lee's non-MCU Hulk but I'm not sure if I've seen The Incredible Hulk, and I've seen so many 'reboots' of Spider-Man that I've lost track of which ones belong to which version of reality (I have vague memories of seeing a Spider-Man film in the cinema in the 70s but don't recall any of the detail of that one).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

caerau

« Reply #8358 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:37:03 pm »
The only Spiderman (as in Spiderman and no other Superheroes) film in the official Avengers-linked films is Homecoming.

The earlier Hulks, Spidermans, Fantastic Four and X-Men (maybe others too) - were in different deals with 20th Century Fox/Columbia, despite still being Marvel characters.  Basically at some point Marvel created their own studio to take full control of artistic content - and probably more importantly - profit, they reputedly made very little money out of the 'early' (Toby Maguire) spidey films.

ian

« Reply #8359 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:45:21 pm »

Only 21 according to wiki, so that's a couple of hours of your life you can have back - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films

I had to look it up for my own benefit, to work out how many of them I've seen - I can't remember whether or not I've seen any of the Iron Man sequels or just the first one, and I know I've seen Ang Lee's non-MCU Hulk but I'm not sure if I've seen The Incredible Hulk, and I've seen so many 'reboots' of Spider-Man that I've lost track of which ones belong to which version of reality (I have vague memories of seeing a Spider-Man film in the cinema in the 70s but don't recall any of the detail of that one).

Spiderman is very hard to follow, it seems to get rebooted over and over (there's another Marvel Spiderman movie this year). Indeed, I can't count (or rather my wife can't, she told me she'd ordered 22 movies). As Captain Marvel isn't out yet, that means we're probably aiming at 20 movies. Anyway, it was Avengers Assemble last night, which stepped it up a level.

I still think GotG is going to be the best, but let's see.

caerau

« Reply #8360 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:47:51 pm »
Thor Ragnarok - Thor Ragnarok -that's the best - by miles.

citoyen

« Reply #8361 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:54:25 pm »
The earlier Hulks, Spidermans, Fantastic Four and X-Men (maybe others too) - were in a different deal with 20th Century Fox, despite still being Marvel characters.

Don't forget Howard the Duck!

And there was a terrible Captain America film in the early 90s too.

I read somewhere that the X-men will be introduced to the MCU at some point, so all those many Hugh Jackman/Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellen films will become officially non-canonical. Mental.

caerau

« Reply #8362 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:56:09 pm »
I try to limit myself to when Hollywood could actually muster the special effects to do them justice.  I went with my brother to see Spiderman Strikes Back in the 1970s.  Ouch.

caerau

« Reply #8363 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:58:05 pm »

I read somewhere that the X-men will be introduced to the MCU at some point, so all those many Hugh Jackman/Patrick Stewart/Ian McKellen films will become officially non-canonical. Mental.

There's already been an X-men Cameo in Deadpool 2...

citoyen

« Reply #8364 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:58:34 pm »
Ah, I've not seen Deadpool 1 or 2 yet.

GotG, Ragnarok and Dr Strange have been the ones I've enjoyed most.

Civil War was by far the worst - who knew a load of awesome superheroes kicking the shit out of each other could be so tedious?

caerau

« Reply #8365 on: 10 April, 2019, 05:00:54 pm »
Marvel is at its best when it is lighthearted - when it tries to go all DC (i.e. serious) - not so much.

It's a rather sad state of affairs that there are so many of these that we see little else at the cinema for ....oof... the last decade.  ???

Fortunately my wife is just as down with this as me  :-D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8366 on: 10 April, 2019, 07:10:06 pm »
You should do a podcast about this. It could rival https://www.timeout.com/newyork/comedy/these-comedians-have-watched-sex-and-the-city-2-every-week-for-a-year

(oh and when you get to Guardians of the Galaxy, do tell me which bits are actually funny. I was enormously disappointed - all the right people were saying all the right things about it :( )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8367 on: 11 April, 2019, 08:14:17 am »
(oh and when you get to Guardians of the Galaxy, do tell me which bits are actually funny. I was enormously disappointed - all the right people were saying all the right things about it :( )

Yes well, I looked up one of Netflux's "Critically-Acclaimed" offerings on IMDB and found it got 5.5/10.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #8368 on: 11 April, 2019, 10:55:05 am »
Come on, I defy anyone to tell me the skit about Footloose in GotG isn't pant-wetting territory. It's full of sassy one-liners. I don't go on online reviews, comic book nerds are forever moaning. I sentence them to watch every version of Judge Dredd (ok, come on, who hasn't secretly enjoyed the Stallone one).

Iron Man 3 last night. It's carried by Robert Downey Jr and his ego/id thing. If memory serves, indeed Civil War was the dullest, only enlivened by the appearance of Antman. Thor: Ragnarok is definitely top canon, as is Antman (that final tongue-in-cheek battle scene with Thomas the Tank Engine). I liked Black Panther, but I'm not sure as good as everyone claims. Dr Strange I remember being a bit meh. Oh, well, we'll get there. No movies tonight though as my wife is away. Avengers Assemble is winning out so for, if only for its sheer OTT bombast and character sparring.

Is there a crossover between X-Man and MCU, I confess I'm not nerd enough? Deadpool (which you should see as it's pure juvenile fun) is part of that. I can never follow X-Men movies, they're all over the timeline (cue several Deadpool jokes).

If anyone is questioning my pursuit of high culture, we conceived this marathon while sitting in a Toby Carvery.

citoyen

« Reply #8369 on: 11 April, 2019, 12:35:40 pm »
Is there a crossover between X-Man and MCU, I confess I'm not nerd enough?

Yes. The X-Men are a Marvel creation, and the plan is to make them part of the MCU - I read something about them being introduced to the Infinity Saga in Phase 4. Which might mean something to people who are nerd enough, but tbh doesn't mean an awful lot to me (beyond getting the general idea from what it says on wikipedia).

ian

« Reply #8370 on: 11 April, 2019, 12:44:04 pm »
I confess that I'm also not nerd enough to understand that. I think, tbh, that being a proper nerd is a lot harder than it looks.

I think the only comic I ever read with 2000AD. Oh, and I learned everything I needed to know about the Germans from Commando and various war comics that were, for some inexplicable reason despite it being the 1980s, available in vast quantities from the comic stall on Heanor market.

citoyen

« Reply #8371 on: 11 April, 2019, 01:12:38 pm »
I think the only comic I ever read with 2000AD.

Don't you think it's a great shame no one ever made a film or TV series of Zenith? Undoubtedly the best superhero story ever. I fear its moment has passed, though - they would have to make it a period piece, I don't think it would work if it were updated for 2019.

ian

« Reply #8372 on: 11 April, 2019, 02:55:46 pm »
I like the concept of British superheroes and I think Zenith would work as a period piece, though I'm not sure that most of the world, including our American chums would get it. Wasn't someone somewhere planning to make a movie of The Ballad of Halo Jones? And perhaps Rogue Trooper. Probably better for my sense of childhood nostalgia that they don't.

« Reply #8373 on: 11 April, 2019, 03:10:17 pm »
If there ever was a plan to adapt Halo Jones to the big screen (not that Wikinaccurate's page on the comic strip says anything), it's still stuck in one of the deeper circles of development Hell. Though oddly enough, it has been adapted for the stage...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

citoyen

« Reply #8374 on: 11 April, 2019, 03:15:05 pm »
I thought Halo Jones had been done on screen, but then I realised I'm getting Halo Jones confused with Tank Girl. And then I tried to forget that I'd ever seen the Tank Girl movie...