Author Topic: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners  (Read 134301 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Little Eye On The Crazy World Of Foreigners
« Reply #775 on: 15 February, 2022, 07:21:28 pm »
Stick the kettle on, I'd love a cuppa.

Okay. What do you want: builder's, English breakfast or bug shit?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #776 on: 16 February, 2022, 08:19:34 am »
Nothing new. Lipton's Yellow has tasted like shit for years. Sometimes shit with pepper.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #777 on: 19 February, 2022, 09:34:05 pm »

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #779 on: 18 March, 2022, 05:22:11 pm »
Some foreigners are always foreign, wherever they are.
A Spanish man who had eaten hash cakes before he was pulled over by police for driving erratically has been fined €2,001 (£1,680) after failing to convince officers he had immunity because he was a diplomat for an “individual and mobile” republic.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/18/spanish-driver-hash-cakes-claims-diplomatic-immunity-menda-lerenda
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #780 on: 18 March, 2022, 08:15:08 pm »
I recall sharing a dorm in Amsterdam youth hostel with a chap who'd been on hash cakes.   Spaced out wasn't in it.   He was due to fly back to the UK the following day for some exams.  I don't think he made it.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #781 on: 18 March, 2022, 08:53:05 pm »
As little students urchins in deepest, darkest L13, we baked up a big batch of magic cakes and left them to cool atop the oven. Flatmate Jo's mother turned up (a constant danger, as she lived in Stockport, but sometimes she'd bring food, for some reason she believed her daughter couldn't survive purely on baked beans and the occasional Marlboro Lite) and was left unattended with said cakes.

She helped herself.

Hilarity ensued.

« Reply #782 on: 28 March, 2022, 08:46:47 pm »
https://twitter.com/drsimoncmp/status/1508170433828466691?s=21&t=AoSm-MiffJnP79DmXSlJIw

“Sex slave woman wanted for burglary”

I remember The Case Of The Manacled Mormon” !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #783 on: 29 March, 2022, 12:57:09 am »
Well, it's a good opening paragraph. I can't wait for the rest of the story.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #784 on: 09 April, 2022, 04:35:38 pm »
Just occasionally, something makes me cry with laughter.  Like these Chinese translation fails.

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-chinese-translation-fails/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #787 on: 26 April, 2022, 11:46:12 pm »
U.S. representative Madison Cawthorn (he of the ultra-right fringe of the republican partei) was stopped, for the second time, by TSA airport screeners, who detected a concealed firearm on his person.  It was loaded.

No word on whether he had concealed it in his bra or his garter belt.

« Reply #788 on: 27 April, 2022, 11:54:36 am »
U.S. representative Madison Cawthorn (he of the ultra-right fringe of the republican partei) was stopped, for the second time, by TSA airport screeners, who detected a concealed firearm on his person.  It was loaded.

For context on that last bit: Cawthorn had recently been accusing his GOP colleagues of inviting him to wild cocaine-fuelled orgies - and then some pictures of him in women's underwear were passed to Politico by a former acquaintance of his...

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/04/22/madison-cawthorn-photos-00027286
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #789 on: 27 April, 2022, 01:02:08 pm »

For context on that last bit: Cawthorn had recently been accusing his GOP colleagues of inviting him to wild cocaine-fuelled orgies - and then some pictures of him in women's underwear were passed to Politico by a former acquaintance of his...

I had assumed that those photos were faked - the 'scarf' around the neck would make it particularly easy to blend his head onto someone else.

Cawthorn is a thick nasty piece of work.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #790 on: 27 April, 2022, 04:06:16 pm »
It's been suggested the gun incident was deliberate, to distract from the lingerie story, and others which are coming to light. Apparently, there are also allegations of insider trading in the "Let's Go Brandon" meme cryptocurrency, and sexual misconduct, so to say he's a hot mess right now would be something of an understatement.

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #791 on: 28 April, 2022, 08:59:01 am »
from the other corner of the USofA: (upper lefthand corner of the map, as we say here)

https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/news/hiker-falls-pit-toiilet/

So many unanswered questions here, including:
= what brand of cellphone did have, that worked to call for help?
= did the firefighters empty their whole tank washing the hiker and themselves down?
= can you imagine the discussions at home when the EMS crews got off their shift? "Honey, you'll never believe the emergency call we got today ..."

« Reply #792 on: 29 April, 2022, 09:08:15 am »
I wonder if they were from Florida...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-61267265
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #793 on: 29 April, 2022, 11:30:06 pm »

I had assumed that those photos were faked - the 'scarf' around the neck would make it particularly easy to blend his head onto someone else.

Cawthorn is a thick nasty piece of work.

Teh GOP seems to be full of sub Jonah Ryans at the mo.

« Reply #794 on: 05 May, 2022, 09:50:20 pm »
A couple of tales from our favourite state of the Union, c/o The Smoking Gun:

April 29
A Florida Woman suspected of drunk driving performed “multiple ballet and Irish folk dance moves” while undergoing field sobriety tests after rear-ending a vehicle late Wednesday evening, cops report.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/ballet/dancing-DUI-429056

May 4
The first rule of False Name Club is: You do not claim to be Tyler Durden.

During a vehicle stop late Sunday night in Dunedin, a Gulf Coast city, Florida cops discovered a 9mm handgun, ammunition, and “a trafficking amount of narcotics” inside the auto.

Since the gun and the drugs--heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine, marijuana, and Xanax--appeared to belong to a male passenger, Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office deputies asked the man to identify himself.

In response, the suspect “provided the name ‘Tyler Durden,’” according to an arrest report. Apparently unaware that “Durden” was a character in the 1999 film “Fight Club,” cops ran the handle through a police database and “were unable to locate a subject by that name.

Using a fingerprint scanner, police subsequently identified the passenger as Todd Michael Burns, 44, whose rap sheet includes numerous drug convictions, as well as convictions for grand theft, disorderly conduct, violating probation, and carrying a concealed weapon.
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/cocaine/tyler-durden-arrest-749230

Oh Florida, don't you ever change...

« Reply #795 on: 14 June, 2022, 09:56:52 pm »
Murder, she wrote...

..and for murder, she is going to jail.

An Oregon judge has sentenced Nancy Crampton Brophy, a romance author who apparently foretold of her crime in an essay titled "How to murder your husband", to life in prison for the shooting death of her late spouse.

Crampton Brophy, 71, was found guilty of second degree murder last month.

A jury found that she shot her husband of 26 years in 2018 for a $1.5m (£1.2m) life insurance pay-out.

The case attracted much attention for an essay Crampton Brophy had written years before the crime, titled "How to murder your husband".

"The thing I know about murder is that every one of us have it in him/her when pushed far enough," she had said in the now-deleted post.

A judge ruled against admitting the essay as evidence at her trial because it was penned years earlier as part of a writing seminar.

But prosecutors did not need the text.

They successfully argued that Crampton Brophy had the motive and the means to murder her partner, showing the couple had fallen on hard times financially, and she stood to pocket a hefty insurance pay-out after his death.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-61786575

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #796 on: 14 June, 2022, 10:50:32 pm »
Crikey.  Not Florida!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

« Reply #797 on: 15 June, 2022, 08:59:54 am »
The states of Michigan and Mississippi still have "lascivious cohabitation" as a crime.

rogerzilla

« Reply #798 on: 15 June, 2022, 09:05:13 am »
from the other corner of the USofA: (upper lefthand corner of the map, as we say here)

https://www.backpacker.com/news-and-events/news/hiker-falls-pit-toiilet/

So many unanswered questions here, including:
= what brand of cellphone did have, that worked to call for help?
= did the firefighters empty their whole tank washing the hiker and themselves down?
= can you imagine the discussions at home when the EMS crews got off their shift? "Honey, you'll never believe the emergency call we got today ..."
My father he worked down the sewers
He worked in a deep sewage pit
And when he came home in the evening
His hands were all covered in

Shine up your buttons with Brasso
It's only three and thruppence a tin
You can buy it or nick it from Woolies
But I don't think they've got any in

Some say that he died of a fever
And some say he died of a fit
But I know what my father died of
He died of the smell of the

Some say that he's buried in soil
And some say he's buried in grit
But I know where my father's buried
He's under six feet of

« Reply #799 on: 15 June, 2022, 12:27:44 pm »
Don't recall seeing that one in any collection of Stanley Holloway's monologues. ;D