Author Topic: Is This The End Of Retail?  (Read 65241 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Is This The End Of Retail?
« Reply #400 on: 11 February, 2022, 12:05:18 am »
Is Canadian Tire still going?  I've never been to Canadia, but I imagine it's like Wilko's with hockey tape.

*googles*

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/renfrew-hockey-for-cancer-hockey-tape-purple-24-mm-x-18-m-0830097p.html#srp  Noice.

Yes.  Yes, it is eh, though I think I've only ever used its petril stations.  Eh.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #401 on: 11 February, 2022, 09:58:33 am »
I welcomed Wilko when they first opened in Uxbridge, as a superior successor to Woolworths for useful bits and pieces. I guess that the logistics and operating costs for such a wide range of relatively low priced items cannot be sustained in today's economic environment. The closure of Maplins made matters worse.

Hence I am resorting more and more to ebay for such purchases, and having to accept the inevitable delays. Still learning how to recognise Chinese sellers hiding behind UK facades. I bought a laptop battery from what seemed to be a UK supplier, then had to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive from Hong Kong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #402 on: 12 February, 2022, 12:22:19 pm »
One type of shop that's booming, or blooming, springing up all over since lockdown 2020, is plant shops. Plants for growing, indoor and outdoor, rather than cut flowers (though they may sell those too). Perhaps initially as a "reconnect with the ground" reaction to pandemic (and maybe "react to unemployment and/or job fatigue") but I'd presume there's also an element of "healthy high streets in areas where people have money".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #403 on: 12 February, 2022, 12:29:08 pm »
The nursery oft-frequented by the Elder Larringtons – usually known as “Smithy's” in spite of Smithy having sold up about 1980 – appears defunct, though.  Not on a main road, small car park and no space for cafés, extensive displays of Sheds, I reckon.  Plus the plague, obv.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #404 on: 12 February, 2022, 12:32:40 pm »
One type of shop that's booming, or blooming, springing up all over since lockdown 2020, is plant shops. Plants for growing, indoor and outdoor, rather than cut flowers (though they may sell those too). Perhaps initially as a "reconnect with the ground" reaction to pandemic (and maybe "react to unemployment and/or job fatigue") but I'd presume there's also an element of "healthy high streets in areas where people have money".

Yes, we have a new plant shop in town. Opposite the new electric bike shop.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #405 on: 06 May, 2022, 01:33:47 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #406 on: 29 July, 2022, 12:25:05 pm »
Omnichannel is the latest buzz word, hearing it from retail chains and retail REITs now.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #407 on: 29 July, 2022, 12:27:37 pm »
Meanwhile, the Graun has woken up to dark stores (US writing but mostly applies here):
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/jul/29/dark-stores-ultra-fast-delivery-app-bad-for-workers-and-communities

We have a Zapp-It nearby, whose riders use fancy e-bikes, and somewhere (I'm not sure quite where) there must be a Getir, cos I often see their e-mopeds. The Getir riders get uniform helmet and jackets.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #408 on: 22 November, 2022, 04:32:42 pm »
At the weekend I visited Greater Heathrow, in search of fun, hiccups and pots of gold. A two and a half mile walk along the London Road A315 from Thames Lock to Hounslow bus station suggested that physical retail is alive but oh so dull. There were many shops but not a single one that was not either some form of grocery (from supermarket to corner store) or eatery (from take away kebabs to posh-looking restos). Oh, there were a couple of barbers, of course. But if the only reason to visit a shop is hunger or haircuts, well, that's boring.

On a different topic, it struck me that despite having much better public transport (a lot cheaper and far more frequent) than Bristol, the area was even more car-dominated.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #409 on: 22 November, 2022, 04:49:27 pm »
Quote from: Cudzoziemiec
...despite having much better public transport ...
Err, what's "public" transport?  Confused of Upper Yokelham in the Marsh.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #410 on: 16 December, 2022, 01:17:08 pm »
Digital retail doesn't only mean internet shopping. In fact it's boosting in-store purchases.
Customers who used their phones in-store ended up spending 40% more than those who didn’t.
https://theconversation.com/shopping-how-retailers-are-using-the-latest-technology-to-boost-in-store-spending-195762

« Reply #411 on: 23 February, 2023, 12:26:44 pm »
The end of an era in York - I spent far too much money in this shop when I lived there. :'(

Banks Music closing for good.

Edinburgh's equivalent is also shutting. The only Musicroom shop staying open is in London...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #412 on: 24 February, 2023, 03:07:14 pm »
Maybe this has been mentioned already: after B2B, B2C, C2C, etc, a trend and new TLA in China, being pushed by eg Tmall and JD, is O2O. This is online-to-offline. Customers gained online are later drawn to physical stores belonging to, or in search of, the same brand.

« Reply #413 on: 26 February, 2023, 12:38:25 pm »
The end of an era in York - I spent far too much money in this shop when I lived there. :'(

Edinburgh's equivalent is also shutting. The only Musicroom shop staying open is in London...

What a bland, non-descript, boring, unattractive shop front, it could be mistaken for Cash Converters or something, perhaps they deserve to close down. The interior probably is like any generic shop.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #414 on: 11 April, 2023, 11:57:19 am »
I've just been to "big Sainsbury's". It isn't my regular supermarket but it's conveniently next to the library, which I needed to visit to do some printing. It seems they've finally cottoned on to the theft opportunities offered by self-check out, as you now need to take your receipt and scan it to open a gate at the far end. Doesn't stop you only scanning some of your items, of course, but does stop you just walking straight through. I didn't notice how you get out if you genuinely haven't bought anything, presumably you walk through a manned till aisle, but I suppose once you know it's there it also acts as an incentive to buy something.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #415 on: 11 April, 2023, 12:27:17 pm »
Is retail dead?  Are department stores particularly dead?

On Saturday myself and The Current Mrs R visited Norwich.  The city centre was very busy despite House of Fraser and Debenhams having closed down.  Departments stores are dead dinosaurs aren't they?

Almost by accident we found ourselves HERE, an independent department store with a long history, the shop was very busy.  We fought through the crowds to the basement food court and plonked ourselves on bar stools where a pleasant young chap handed us wine list and a menu of their toothy comestibles; the homemade scotch eggs with a rocket garnish, fresh bread, delicious looking balsamic and sundried tomatoes were duly ordered.  We also selected large glasses of red and white, both local and £12 a pop.  We were having a smashing time, chatting to the staff, people watching, eating and drinking fine fare.  We ordered another round and some rosemary almonds - lovely!

We now had an awkward choice.  Do we stay for the afternoon, risk being carried out only to find we were too pissed to find the bus back to our caravan or should we settle up and move on.  We decided on the latter.  Our bill was £64 and the lady who wafted the machine under my card told me she'd worked for Jarrold's for 15 years and loved it.  As we'd spent more than £60 she gave me a £10 voucher which encouraged TCMR to spend a further £101.64 (less a tenner) in the food hall!

So it seems to me that if you understand your customers, offer them the experience they are asking for, look after your staff properly so they are ambassadors for your business then retail in general and department stores in particular are far from dead  :thumbsup:

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #416 on: 11 April, 2023, 12:33:10 pm »

On Saturday myself and The Current Mrs R visited Norwich.  The city centre was very busy despite House of Fraser and Debenhams having closed down.  Departments stores are dead dinosaurs aren't they?

Almost by accident we found ourselves HERE, an independent department store with a long history, the shop was very busy.  We fought through the crowds to the basement food court and plonked ourselves on bar stools where a pleasant young chap handed us wine list and a menu of their toothy comestibles; the homemade scotch eggs with a rocket garnish, fresh bread, delicious looking balsamic and sundried tomatoes were duly ordered.  We also selected large glasses of red and white, both local and £12 a pop.  We were having a smashing time, chatting to the staff, people watching, eating and drinking fine fare.  We ordered another round and some rosemary almonds - lovely!

We now had an awkward choice.  Do we stay for the afternoon, risk being carried out only to find we were too pissed to find the bus back to our caravan or should we settle up and move on.  We decided on the latter.  Our bill was £64 and the lady who wafted the machine under my card told me she'd worked for Jarrold's for 15 years and loved it.  As we'd spent more than £60 she gave me a £10 voucher which encouraged TCMR to spend a further £101.64 (less a tenner) in the food hall!

So it seems to me that if you understand your customers, offer them the experience they are asking for, look after your staff properly so they are ambassadors for your business then retail in general and department stores in particular are far from dead  :thumbsup:

Naaaaaaaaarrrrrch is about 30 years behind the rest of the UK...   no wonder you felt at home.   :P ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oscar's dad

« Reply #417 on: 11 April, 2023, 12:44:26 pm »

Naaaaaaaaarrrrrch is about 30 years behind the rest of the UK...   no wonder you felt at home.   :P ;D

Cheeky git  :-*  :P

Well if Naaaaaaaaarrrrrch 30 years behind then I'd say its the future!  Other towns and cities take note!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #418 on: 11 April, 2023, 01:07:42 pm »

What a bland, non-descript, boring, unattractive shop front, it could be mistaken for Cash Converters or something, perhaps they deserve to close down. The interior probably is like any generic shop.

It is a destination. Shopfront matters way less for a destination.

The issue isn't the shopfront, it is that destinations (that don't require handling/experiencing the goods) can be replicated online. They are trying to transfer all their business online. Sheet music - probably fine (does it even exist anymore?) instruments - interesting...
It is simpler than it looks.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #419 on: 11 April, 2023, 01:11:34 pm »

It is a destination. Shopfront matters way less for a destination.

The issue isn't the shopfront, it is that destinations (that don't require handling/experiencing the goods) can be replicated online. They are trying to transfer all their business online. Sheet music - probably fine (does it even exist anymore?) instruments - interesting...

Seeing the pic remnded me that the MusicRoom branch here in Stratford-upon-Avon closed down recently . . . 

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #420 on: 11 April, 2023, 01:11:41 pm »
Sheet music definitely still exists.

OD, I note that you first went to the department store to eat and drink. So effectively it was a cafe with a shop attached.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #421 on: 11 April, 2023, 01:12:49 pm »

Jarrolds was part of a bigger enterprise with a printing and publishing business back in the day.

« Reply #422 on: 11 April, 2023, 01:17:47 pm »

Seeing the pic remnded me that the MusicRoom branch here in Stratford-upon-Avon closed down recently . . .

They closed all their shops, bar one (in London).  :'(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #423 on: 11 April, 2023, 01:44:15 pm »

OD, I note that you first went to the department store to eat and drink. So effectively it was a cafe with a shop attached.

Kind of. We didn’t go in with the expectation of eating and drinking but what we found appealed so we did it. We also spent c£100 (correction, TCMR did) on food stuffs to take home so we did the retail thing as well. Which is my point, get customers through the door then find ways of getting them so spend, doesn’t really matter what they buy so long as they do.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #424 on: 11 April, 2023, 02:17:35 pm »

Kind of. We didn’t go in with the expectation of eating and drinking but what we found appealed so we did it. We also spent c£100 (correction, TCMR did) on food stuffs to take home so we did the retail thing as well. Which is my point, get customers through the door then find ways of getting them so spend, doesn’t really matter what they buy so long as they do.
Makes sense to get people in the door. Certainly if they don't come through the door, they won't buy anything! But OTOH the M&S in Bristol city centre that closed a couple of years ago always seemed pretty busy, especially the food hall. I've heard that a hike in rates was part of the decision in that case (but I don't know if that was true).