Author Topic: Is This The End Of Retail?  (Read 42912 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Is This The End Of Retail?
« Reply #400 on: 11 February, 2022, 12:05:18 am »
Is Canadian Tire still going?  I've never been to Canadia, but I imagine it's like Wilko's with hockey tape.

*googles*

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/renfrew-hockey-for-cancer-hockey-tape-purple-24-mm-x-18-m-0830097p.html#srp  Noice.

Yes.  Yes, it is eh, though I think I've only ever used its petril stations.  Eh.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #401 on: 11 February, 2022, 09:58:33 am »
I welcomed Wilko when they first opened in Uxbridge, as a superior successor to Woolworths for useful bits and pieces. I guess that the logistics and operating costs for such a wide range of relatively low priced items cannot be sustained in today's economic environment. The closure of Maplins made matters worse.

Hence I am resorting more and more to ebay for such purchases, and having to accept the inevitable delays. Still learning how to recognise Chinese sellers hiding behind UK facades. I bought a laptop battery from what seemed to be a UK supplier, then had to wait a couple of weeks for it to arrive from Hong Kong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Моя планета голубая, я люблю тебя и обнимаю
« Reply #402 on: 12 February, 2022, 12:22:19 pm »
One type of shop that's booming, or blooming, springing up all over since lockdown 2020, is plant shops. Plants for growing, indoor and outdoor, rather than cut flowers (though they may sell those too). Perhaps initially as a "reconnect with the ground" reaction to pandemic (and maybe "react to unemployment and/or job fatigue") but I'd presume there's also an element of "healthy high streets in areas where people have money".
Riding a bike through a city is like navigating the collective neural pathways of a vast global mind.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #403 on: 12 February, 2022, 12:29:08 pm »
The nursery oft-frequented by the Elder Larringtons – usually known as “Smithy's” in spite of Smithy having sold up about 1980 – appears defunct, though.  Not on a main road, small car park and no space for cafés, extensive displays of Sheds, I reckon.  Plus the plague, obv.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #404 on: 12 February, 2022, 12:32:40 pm »
One type of shop that's booming, or blooming, springing up all over since lockdown 2020, is plant shops. Plants for growing, indoor and outdoor, rather than cut flowers (though they may sell those too). Perhaps initially as a "reconnect with the ground" reaction to pandemic (and maybe "react to unemployment and/or job fatigue") but I'd presume there's also an element of "healthy high streets in areas where people have money".

Yes, we have a new plant shop in town. Opposite the new electric bike shop.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #405 on: 06 May, 2022, 01:33:47 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark