Author Topic: Infinity Saddle for Audax  (Read 13959 times)

Nick H.

Re: Infinity Saddle for Audax
« Reply #25 on: 19 August, 2021, 07:03:20 pm »
I've got one. Had my first ride on it today, all of 9 miles. Painful, but I was wearing jeans and haven't ridden for 10 years (CFS/ME) and the bike is new to me and doesn't fit yet. So I suppose any saddle would have been painful, except for a big squashy one on a sit up and beg bike. I suppose the next step is to try it with my Assos shorts. But I'm so tired that my next ride will not be for some time.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #26 on: 19 August, 2021, 09:53:11 pm »
There is a narrow range where they suddenly become super comfy even with no padding. When I got mine I headed to my local LBS for a new bike fit so I could get it set to a known point and adjust from there.
Regards,

Joergen

Nick H.

« Reply #27 on: 19 August, 2021, 10:58:59 pm »
OK, I'll keep trying. I do have bike fit data.  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #28 on: 20 August, 2021, 08:43:07 am »
Yes as did I but I found it hard to get the infinity into the bike fit position without access to the way it was measured with retul. This was when I had a proper job so was able to afford a session rather than trying to get there on my own... It'd be difficult now!
I guess the takeaway for me is to work out a way of getting your own measures when you get home from the bike fit.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #29 on: 21 August, 2021, 06:48:29 am »
I have an infinity saddle and have ridden several long rides on it including PBP. I'm not settled on it to be honest, the reasons being that my sit bones are pretty wide and hence tend to sit on the edges of the saddle, and not within the cut out. It does relieve perineum pressure, but for me it isn't the armchair that some users report. The quality is not in line with the price of the saddle. The rails have movement in the fixture blocks on the underside of the seat, and it can creak a little when riding.

« Reply #30 on: 21 August, 2021, 08:52:51 am »
I would be interested to know if any women have tried this saddle.
Thanks

« Reply #31 on: 21 August, 2021, 09:33:18 am »
I gifted my original infinity to a young lady who was struggling and my understanding is that she loves it. Bear in mind she truly has the physique of a speed climbing triathlon athlete so her sit bones are different to 99.99% of the world.

« Reply #32 on: 21 August, 2021, 09:40:03 am »
Thanks, Chris
As one who plods uphill seated, my cycling style is a bit different!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #33 on: 21 August, 2021, 11:37:40 am »
Thanks

I know Kajsa Tylén is a big fan of them but I think Jasmijn didn't get on with it ?

Personally mine was fab all the way up to 900km of PBP when  the comfy spot became quite a narrow range of sitting on the seat but I think that was always going to be expected at some point.  However I didn't have the same soft tissue damage that I suffered on LEL using a Brooks C13

The C13 was super comfortable on the run up to LEL and then after D2 when everything was numb it was fine but left me with some damage above the sit bones I just couldn't clear... the Infinity was different enough to allow the area to rest and recover and I can now ride in a normal saddle even without padded shorts!

I would defo note however less is more with the Infinity when it comes to padding and I did have some pads where the edge of the pad was a bit to coincident with the seat edge but thankfully they were winter longs so didnt effect any long long rides.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #34 on: 22 August, 2021, 08:54:45 am »
Thank you. Lots of useful information now.
Seems its the usual situation of it suits some and not others....

« Reply #35 on: 22 August, 2021, 11:14:47 am »
I think I will stick to my San Marco Rolls saddles which I have on all my bikes as it could be expensive to start experimenting with a new saddle. 

Just wish I could try one out somehow first.

« Reply #36 on: 23 August, 2021, 12:28:23 pm »
I think I will stick to my San Marco Rolls saddles which I have on all my bikes as it could be expensive to start experimenting with a new saddle. 

Hi Jethro, feel free to get in touch with me via PM. I'm sure we can work out a way of getting you trying out my infinity saddle should you wish to.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #37 on: 23 August, 2021, 03:13:53 pm »

I sat on Kajsa's bike once and decided that it put pressure in some *very* wrong places.  Didn't try riding it, but I got the impression that I'd be sliding off it if I tilted the nose down enough not to hurt.

...But I've never met a saddle that I considered to be comfortable.  It's all about damage limitation, and I prefer a fairly mountain-bike-ish riding position (and therefore relatively wide saddles) because I'd rather mash my saddle area than the nerves in my wrists, so I wouldn't expect the Infinity to work for me.  Audax-type riding is why Mochet gave us recumbents.

Nick H.

« Reply #38 on: 23 August, 2021, 04:26:29 pm »
There's one on ebay at the moment. The seller is making a bit of a meal of things. His reserve price is £333. https://ebay.us/vmr37g I predict he'll end up losing patience and will accept an offer.

« Reply #39 on: 23 August, 2021, 11:07:55 pm »
Thanks

I tried one and thought it would have been good if it had been designed for a wider pelvis, but as it was the “unisex” design was too narrow
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

Nick H.

« Reply #40 on: 24 August, 2021, 01:08:51 am »
Teethgrinder has posted a pic of him plugging away on his Infinity on the company's Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=4235823719858191&set=a.141579102616027

Nick H.

« Reply #41 on: 24 August, 2021, 01:19:24 am »

If you're in London you could take mine for a spin.

« Reply #43 on: 26 August, 2021, 03:46:21 pm »
Teethgrinder has posted a pic of him plugging away on his Infinity on the company's Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=4235823719858191&set=a.141579102616027

That's not teethgrinder- that's hoppo.

(or it's a different photo you mean to direct to? Facebook is rubbish like that)

Nick H.

« Reply #44 on: 26 August, 2021, 07:43:22 pm »
Oops. All these bonkers extremists look the same to me!

dat

« Reply #45 on: 29 August, 2021, 09:33:25 am »
Just noticed they sell the carbon rails separately. It’s for 7*10mm so I would need new ears on my diverge but at $50 it seems worth it.

https://infinitybikeseat.com/shop/seat-rails/

« Reply #46 on: 23 May, 2022, 12:45:32 pm »
I'm interested in trying one of these but the only uk source will only offer demos as part of a £250 bike fit. http://www.ten-point.co.uk/infinity-saddles/

I use ISM saddles and have no numbness issues but am rather sore after a 400k over the weekend. I'm only 63kg and have no padding on my sit bones.

Does anyone have an Infinity they don't get on with and would sell?
Or have one I could try for a short test ride to see if I could rule them out?

I'm in SW London but willing to travel.

Thanks

« Reply #47 on: 23 May, 2022, 02:45:34 pm »
I'm interested in trying one of these but the only uk source will only offer demos as part of a £250 bike fit. http://www.ten-point.co.uk/infinity-saddles/

I use ISM saddles and have no numbness issues but am rather sore after a 400k over the weekend. I'm only 63kg and have no padding on my sit bones.

Does anyone have an Infinity they don't get on with and would sell?
Or have one I could try for a short test ride to see if I could rule them out?

I'm in SW London but willing to travel.

Thanks
I thought ten point had stopped even offering that.  I will have a look and see if I have one of the old ones somewhere.  I gave one to my niece in law who loves it after not getting on with other saddles. So I may have given it away.

You could buy one on Ebay then flog it round YACF at a £10 per sale reduction so everybody gets to try them.

« Reply #48 on: 23 May, 2022, 03:32:11 pm »
I was also interested in trying an Infinity, for similar reasons. I have used SMP saddles for a few years, which combined with a slightly higher, less stretched out position, were great in getting my weight onto my sit bones and completely eliminated numbness. However, having upped my mileage this year, I have been getting pretty sore after some of the longer rides. By the end of the day on my last Audax my sit bones felt like daggers bottoming out on the saddle shell. It feels like I am losing padding as I get older!

The Infinity saddles only seem to be available direct from the USA, and are a bit too pricy for me to take a chance on. I found a Tioga Spyder Stratum going cheapish on eBay, so I am trying that out at the moment. It's a plastic mesh which flexes like a hammock. Initial testing on a short run felt OK, but I need to put it to the test on a 200+km ride to see if it is actually more comfortable when it matters.

Any other alternatives for reducing point pressure on the sit bones?

« Reply #49 on: 24 May, 2022, 10:08:57 am »