Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 72898 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #850 on: 24 April, 2022, 08:57:07 pm »
oh, and we saw Dom from The Repair Shop tv prog.
He's got a series on YouTube about recreating an English Wheel (a gadget made of skill and magic used for shaping panels). Castings! Sand! Patterns!
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #851 on: 25 April, 2022, 07:37:00 am »
oh, and we saw Dom from The Repair Shop tv prog.
He's got a series on YouTube about recreating an English Wheel (a gadget made of skill and magic used for shaping panels). Castings! Sand! Patterns!

Yep - it's the highlight of my Sunday evening YouTube viewing  :thumbsup:

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #852 on: 25 April, 2022, 08:48:12 am »
Garden shredder acquired at an auction (a real, live one not the ebay) - bit of a bargain as it's as new but cost 15% of the new price  :thumbsup:     Works a treat if a bit noisy, takes stuff up to about 40mm - downside is just more space is used up in the shed storing it.

We have two. Both Bosch. The first uses a Archimedes screw thing to crush quite large branches etc into bits. It bogs down and gets bunged up and stuck with green or sot stuff though. We've had it for 15 years or so and its now scruffy but just keeps going. The second is one with a spinning blade. This doesn't do thick branches but will mince any soft of green matter nicely. Luckily I have a fairly big (if dilapidated) shed.
I have what I think must be the same Bosch garden shredders.  The Archimedes screw is no longer available - I've changed mine 2 or 3 times over the years and they are great bits of kit, but mine's on its last legs now because the screw is getting blunt.
So I bought the version with the short spinning blade - works well but the on off switch packed up after only a few weeks and sending it back was too much hassle so I've bodged a work-around until I get around to fitting a new switch.  They do take up a lot of space in my shed though.....

« Reply #853 on: 30 April, 2022, 01:00:08 pm »
I got a new 26.0 hand reamer from the Bay of Thieves for a tenner.  Great for sorting out the (usually horrid) Moulton F frame seatpost fit.  I do like reamers generally, and other cutting tools like facers.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

T42

• Patron saint of the dry joint
« Reply #854 on: 30 April, 2022, 03:47:09 pm »
Last week I went into our nearest DIY emporium needing a small sliding spanner and came out with the aforesaid, two ratchet ring spanners with hinged heads and a butane weed-burner. Then had to get a butane cylinder and a piezo gas-lighter because I got the cheapskate burner for 50€ instead of the piezo-equipped one for >100€.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight