Author Topic: Results in Excel format?  (Read 10651 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
Results in Excel format?
« on: 25 August, 2019, 11:18:40 am »
Does anyone know if or when the results will be available in Excel format. I need to feed the inner data analyst....

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Re: Results in Excel format?
« Reply #1 on: 25 August, 2019, 11:51:29 am »
It was an interesting experience covering PBP 2019. there seems to have been a restatement of the principles of Randonnee, with sparse information on all fronts. Working from the tracking information was a bit of a shot in the dark. I got wind of Zigzag's early performance on here, so was able to predict the arrival of the first group at Loudeac, which was more information than the controllers at Loudeac had.

The actual leaders were accompanied by some of the Tandem Images film crew, so their colleagues lined up to shoot their arrival. The motorbikes accompanying them were directed off, so the arrival required knowledge of the numbering system, and I recognised Marko Baloh from LEL. He then disappeared onto the melee, and was told to move his bike when he parked it too near the control.

We could then follow Marko on the tracking, to gauge where the front group was. When I got back to Rambouillet I asked J.P. Chardon who had won. He told me that the velomobile had won, and showed me a picture of the velomobile, the three riders from the front group, and a prize Merino ram, on the finish line. He also showed me the classification, which was complicated by not allowing for start time.

ACP might be playing their cards close to their chest for data protection reasons, or they might not. There's so much politics surrounding the status of PBP as non-competitive, within a changed environment for long distance cycling, that it's hard to disentangle the various threads.

I'm very glad that I wasn't seeking to cover the performance of the front group. That would have entailed putting in a lot of effort, only to have it undercut within an hour of the apparent result.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2 on: 25 August, 2019, 12:23:57 pm »
ACP might be playing their cards close to their chest for data protection reasons, or they might not.
Hah! On the way back in Dreux they had a laptop showing how many people had checked in at each control. Nice, but the program allowed to search for riders and did show their birthdate... It also appeared to allow me to change the status (like "abandoned") for the rider; I didn't try in fear of making irreversible changes and ruining someones (or my own) ride, but I did raise an eyebrow in seeing this...

« Reply #3 on: 25 August, 2019, 12:55:37 pm »
ACP might be playing their cards close to their chest for data protection reasons, or they might not.
Hah! On the way back in Dreux they had a laptop showing how many people had checked in at each control. Nice, but the program allowed to search for riders and did show their birthdate... It also appeared to allow me to change the status (like "abandoned") for the rider; I didn't try in fear of making irreversible changes and ruining someones (or my own) ride, but I did raise an eyebrow in seeing this...

I had reason to show the organisation the video of the 2015 start, and used an LEL surplus Lenovo Thinkpad running Windows 7. That's also what the PBP organisation was using. The finish times on their laptop were different to the tracker. Whether they were taking their times at the main finish, or had manual times for the first finishers is an interesting point.
The various layers of manual, laptop and smartphone information systems were interesting.

« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2019, 04:15:14 pm »
Someone's been busy :

http://www.pbpresults.com

It's not excel and has errors, but it's in interesting read ...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2019, 04:31:22 pm »
It thinks I finished hors delai but sub-90 hours. The first is incorrect.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #6 on: 03 September, 2019, 05:04:43 pm »
It thinks I finished hors delai but sub-90 hours. The first is incorrect.

Same with me and at least one other rider I know. Looking at the hors delais results I suspect he has categorised some groups wrongly as 80 hours. It's a bit frustrating there are no contact details on the website. Nice to have someone compile the results but it would be considerably better if they were compiled accurately.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #7 on: 03 September, 2019, 05:29:52 pm »
It's not that hard to scrape[1] the tracker results and reformat that data into a website/spreadsheet. Shai Shprung did it for a few previous PBPs using the older style tracking website.

It'll only be as accurate as the tracker information though.

1. 50 entries at a time, which is easy given the easily guessable frame numbers.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2019, 05:34:32 pm »
Shows me as dnf, probably due to a trawl of electronic tracking. However the official photos for me will display a remarkably accurate finish time, so the official photographers have access to better data, and acp have been updating this with card times where available.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Phil W

« Reply #9 on: 03 September, 2019, 05:36:47 pm »
Domain registered 9 days ago.

Contact Privacy Inc. Customer 0155535957
96 Mowat Ave,
Toronto, ON, M6K 3M1, ca

Phone 1 416 538 5457

Email:  pbpresults@contactprivacy.com

Funny that they are hiding their identify when they are quite happy to publish data of European residents when they haven't been given permission to do that.

The website is hosted in California but is owned by a Canadian. Sure if you work through the Canadian riders, or contact their national randonneuring organisation, they can be tracked down. 

« Reply #10 on: 03 September, 2019, 05:51:10 pm »
Unlikely to be a Canadian because of that, that's just the location of the privacy hiding service. My personal website is hosted in Canada but otherwise lists US addresses (of Network Solutions). There's no longer any of my personal info there.

Could PBP riders avoid having their tracking information published by PBP/ACP if they didn't provide the appropriate consent? (I'm guessing PBP/ACP either didn't bother asking clearly, or provided an opt-out - neither of which really comply with GDPR).

Of course, just because the PI data of EU citizens is publicly available on one site (the PBP tracking site) does not give anyone automatic permission to republish it elsewhere regardless of where the site is hosted.

« Reply #11 on: 03 September, 2019, 06:25:18 pm »
My money is on Gabriel Landais, who has posted this visualisation. But what do I ever know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zukhdK-A0oo&fbclid=IwAR3RjNU-lPttuvfAmjdgvlpZtKfZQO8E2B0iOS3ulDwDX1yFzlLb4gW70DA

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 03 September, 2019, 06:31:35 pm »
Unlikely to be a Canadian because of that, that's just the location of the privacy hiding service. My personal website is hosted in Canada but otherwise lists US addresses (of Network Solutions). There's no longer any of my personal info there.

Could PBP riders avoid having their tracking information published by PBP/ACP if they didn't provide the appropriate consent? (I'm guessing PBP/ACP either didn't bother asking clearly, or provided an opt-out

The website also has a Canadian flag on it and says proudly made in Canada. Which was the other info I took that led me towards the conclusion a Canadian has created this.

« Reply #13 on: 03 September, 2019, 08:10:51 pm »

Could PBP riders avoid having their tracking information published by PBP/ACP if they didn't provide the appropriate consent? (I'm guessing PBP/ACP either didn't bother asking clearly, or provided an opt-out

The website also has a Canadian flag on it and says proudly made in Canada. Which was the other info I took that led me towards the conclusion a Canadian has created this.

Ah, fair enough! (Didn't scroll down that far, although I did check the whois info and the About page. The website footer is below the fold on my computer.)

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #14 on: 04 September, 2019, 10:48:59 am »
Looks like [edit - some of] the results on this website have now been corrected (mine are ok now and I can see that LWaB's are too)
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #15 on: 04 September, 2019, 11:01:11 am »
Could PBP riders avoid having their tracking information published by PBP/ACP if they didn't provide the appropriate consent? (I'm guessing PBP/ACP either didn't bother asking clearly, or provided an opt-out - neither of which really comply with GDPR).

With what end in view - using PBP as cover for a dirty weekend?
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #16 on: 04 September, 2019, 11:03:30 am »

With what end in view - using PBP as cover for a dirty weekend?

Not everyone wants their personal information published for all manner of reasons.

« Reply #17 on: 04 September, 2019, 11:06:22 am »
I contacted Maya Ide about the Japanese rider who'd been credited with second. He'd packed at Tinteniac, and returned to Rambouillet, where he'd been directed over the finish mat.

Maya expressed surprise that medals were being given out to riders who were 24 hours late. I saw riders hanging around the stamping area with an air of expectation, even though they had very few stamps in their Brevet cards.

I'm in favour of HD, as it encourages riders to get back to base under their own steam, and it helps with charity link-ups. I pointed out HD as a motivation when I was filming in 2015. The problems start when the finish timer is turned off, which happens very promptly. I'd expect HD to rise significantly after cards have been checked.

Edd

« Reply #18 on: 04 September, 2019, 11:20:53 am »
According to this data it looks like ~80% of Audax UK finished within their time limit (those who list their club as Audax UK had a completion rate of 79% and those who list their country  as UK had a completion rate of 80%). This compares to an overall completion rate of 66% (I've included DNS in the calculations). The AUK rate is similar to previous years I think?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #19 on: 04 September, 2019, 11:54:38 am »
90 hour specials appeared to be miss-classified by the Canadian site as 80 hour starters when I looked at it.

« Reply #20 on: 04 September, 2019, 11:55:26 am »
The more I look at this, the more errors there seem to be ...

« Reply #21 on: 04 September, 2019, 11:58:49 am »
The more I look at this, the more errors there seem to be ...

It's based on a third party scrape from the tracking data. It's quite useful in alerting participants to errors. The definitive result takes time, as it's based on the cards, not the tracking. Although in the absence of a stamp, the tracking is used.

Davef

« Reply #22 on: 05 September, 2019, 02:16:54 pm »
The observed apparent unpreparedness of people from India is confirmed by the 90% fail rate in these unofficial results.

Davef

« Reply #23 on: 05 September, 2019, 02:21:11 pm »
The definitive result takes time, as it's based on the cards, not the tracking. Although in the absence of a stamp, the tracking is used.
Is it ? I was told by a (possibly misinformed) official that the chip time was being used and the cards were being checked for stamps and penalities.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #24 on: 05 September, 2019, 03:36:15 pm »
The definitive result takes time, as it's based on the cards, not the tracking. Although in the absence of a stamp, the tracking is used.
Is it ? I was told by a (possibly misinformed) official that the chip time was being used and the cards were being checked for stamps and penalities.
I believe chip time is the official time, except where it is not available where it will be replaced by the card time.

This is borne out when looking at the maindru photos, one of the options is to have a time. Where a chip time is available that time is used, in cases without (like me) it has been replaced by card time. Any photo showing a number of seconds which is not 00 must have come from electronic timing. Anyone without electronic timing will have hr:mn:00 although  roughly 1 in 60 will have :00 recorded by electronic timing also

Eddington  127miles, 170km