Author Topic: BHPC racing  (Read 60640 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: BHPC racing
« Reply #175 on: 22 December, 2021, 09:04:47 pm »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #176 on: 22 December, 2021, 09:09:17 pm »
Ninja'd by Kim :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #177 on: 23 December, 2021, 02:36:59 pm »
So no opener in Hillingdon for a change. Colchester might be possible. I've renewed my membership.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #178 on: 23 December, 2021, 03:35:08 pm »
All being good, I might try my hand, or rather feet, at racing on Odd Down.  :o Though on second thoughts, too much chance of being seen by people who know me!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #179 on: 04 January, 2022, 05:53:49 pm »
Must renew my membership.
(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #180 on: 13 January, 2022, 10:08:06 am »
GCN have produces a feature on Recumbant/ Human Powered racing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #181 on: 18 March, 2022, 11:49:09 am »
Registration for Colchester is now open to members, opens to non-members next week: https://shop.bhpc.org.uk/race-signon

(No COVID-19 rules this time, but we're limiting numbers to 60 for safety reasons, as we only have the track for 4 hours.)

« Reply #182 on: 19 March, 2022, 03:05:10 pm »
I'm going. I have timing tags from last year. Can they be checked before racing?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #183 on: 19 March, 2022, 07:34:19 pm »
I'm going. I have timing tags from last year. Can they be checked before racing?

Yep, come and see us once we've got the timing kit set up.  Always easier to check that tags are working before the race than it is to deal with missed reads afterwards.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #184 on: 19 March, 2022, 11:30:06 pm »
In the absence of a Hillingdon start to the season I expect I'll turn up and point a camera at a few innocent victims, and Slash.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #185 on: 24 March, 2022, 12:02:29 pm »
Registration for Colchester is now open to members, opens to non-members next week: https://shop.bhpc.org.uk/race-signon

(No COVID-19 rules this time, but we're limiting numbers to 60 for safety reasons, as we only have the track for 4 hours.)

Now open to non-members.  Not a lot of places left!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #186 on: 31 March, 2022, 02:16:20 pm »
And closed at 54 riders.  Should be a good one.  If we don't all freeze to DETH.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #187 on: 31 March, 2022, 06:17:47 pm »
Does the venue have Useful Things, like a vendor of hot drinks, anyone ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #188 on: 31 March, 2022, 06:24:17 pm »
Looks like it ought to: https://colchestersportspark.co.uk/other-activities/award-winning-food-and-drink

We've already confirmed the use of the Little Hut with hot and cold running electrons for the timing system, which should reduce the likelihood of accidentally deleting all the race results by poking the Shiny! New! Babbage-engine[1] with numb fingers.

[1] Complete with low-viscosity jam for cold weather operation.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #189 on: 31 March, 2022, 06:48:23 pm »
We haz a New! SHINY!!1! Babbage-Engine :jurek:  w00t!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #190 on: 31 March, 2022, 07:44:52 pm »
Yep.  Not only does it have a working Ethernet port (RFID system, for the connection of) and a considerably brighter screen, it can even run teh BHPC spreadheet-ov-d00m at a reasonable speed.

I have high hopes for automagic finish line photos (which is quite RAM-intensive, as it maintains a ring buffer of uncompressed video for time-travel purposes, and was therefore beyond the capabilities of the old machine), but that's currently dependent on Logitech drivers not being an arse...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #191 on: 01 April, 2022, 07:00:36 pm »
Chairman Al informs us that:
Rob Womack has been talking to the folks at Colchester to clarify the parking situation:
On arrival we have to enter car registrations into a machine in the cafe.
However that only gives 4 hours free parking so we will need to remember to go back in and re-enter the reg again later in the day!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #192 on: 02 April, 2022, 05:38:38 pm »
Eeeh, that were a grand day out!  There will be Pictures At Eleven later when ICBA to pull them off the camera and throw away the out-of-focus ones, the ones featuring empty tarmac and the ones that only have half a bike.  In them.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #193 on: 03 April, 2022, 12:02:30 pm »
Photies!!1! Here!!eleven! Clicky...

Results!!1! There!!eleven! Clicky....  Kudos to Teh Kim for processing/uploading them at Late o'clock last night :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #194 on: 03 April, 2022, 10:14:05 pm »
Now with points:  And what do points mean?

I think that counts as a successful start to the season.  Nobody froze to DETH, unless you count my chain getting thoroughly jammed[1] on the first bend, leading to me playing catch-up for the remainder of the race.  And while the bottomless pit of doom claimed one victim, he still managed to finish.  Russel's Battle Mountain contraption demonstrated that it could, technically, go round corners.  Any my untested tubeless tyre stayed inflated for the duration.  AndrewS wins the fboab award for (literally) forgetting to bring gears, and Chairman Al wins the award for poorly-positioned flag-waving.

The time team were delighted by the indoor facilities with abundant electrons, comfy seats, a promising coax cable leading to The Wrong Kind Of Aerial molished into the track, and a bidon of suspicious yellow liquid lurking in the corner.  The lack of easy track access from the timing hut is a bit of an oversight, as I had to climb over the fence while wearing The Wrong Kind Of Shoes when troubleshooting an aerial problem in a hurry.  I reckon we should get Jon Woolrich to molish a miniature siege engine for the purpose.

All we need is for someone to make the track about half as expensive to hire, and move it to somewhere sensible like the East Midlands.[2]

[1] Behind the thinger that's supposed to stop the chain falling off.  You had one job...
[2] Travel rant beyond the scope of this post, but in brief:  a) Brexit bonus!  Fewer lorries on the A14!  b) The A12 is still horrid.  c) Got lost in ACME territory.  d) Range anxiety issues due to poor availability of motor-spirit dispensing stations on the right fuel card network that were both open and had working petril pumps.  e) Stupid substitute car club car lives on The Wrong Side of Mordor.

« Reply #195 on: 03 April, 2022, 11:01:45 pm »
Thanks, D, fascinating stuff!  Shame about the chain, Kim but a great recovery.  Promises well for the season.  Are there any meetings North of Mordor?  How well do you know your Aretha Franklin?  "Chain, chain, chain....." (Don Covay scripsit)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #196 on: 03 April, 2022, 11:05:54 pm »
Meetings north of Mordor?  There's webby SCIENCE for that!

'Chain of fools'  is probably a fair description of the BHPC.   ;D

« Reply #197 on: 03 April, 2022, 11:33:41 pm »
 ;D

Thanks for the list.  Matlock and York look likeliest.  I'd love to see one of these!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #198 on: 04 April, 2022, 12:01:16 am »
Summary:

K Wall:Onoz! CHAIN!!1!
Omnes:Snek! Snek!
K Wall:Fck! Off!

Peter: There’s also Lancaster, which might be too far north to show up on Thee Mappe if viewed on a small screen.  And Rhyl, though that’s in ABROAD ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #199 on: 04 April, 2022, 12:05:00 am »
Peter: There’s also Lancaster, which might be too far north to show up on Thee Mappe if viewed on a small screen.  And Rhyl, though that’s in ABROAD ;)

Yeahbut it's legally required to rain at both of those.