Author Topic: Wanted - Pompino Equivalent  (Read 8267 times)

Wanted - Pompino Equivalent
« on: 10 November, 2019, 09:42:48 pm »
Always 'One behind the trend' - I would  like a 56 cm fixed  frame with clearance for 35C+guards. A  new Pompino would have done nicely but only present second-hand ones are too small -any  suggestions  please?

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
Re: Wanted - Pompino Equivalent
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2019, 09:44:53 pm »
Well if you can bear to wait, planet X have recently announced that a pompino rerun is imminent! I am thinking of treating myself to one with a mini v on the front.

https://www.facebook.com/planetxbikes/posts/3095702127112957
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2019, 10:13:33 pm »
Or I could build up a Surly Cross Check  That's a jack of all trades frame

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 10 November, 2019, 10:29:25 pm »
The way to go. Often wonder if I should just convert my CC to fixed.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #4 on: 10 November, 2019, 10:44:43 pm »
That's a pretty good idea, I thought about getting one for a while but ended up with a second hand Condor Tempo.  The only issue that might be worth thinking about is the OLN on the rear hub, I'm guessing that the Cross Check is 135 or maybe 130mm but most (not all) fixed hubs are 120. You can space them out but not all of them have a suitably long axle to leave enough thread for the nuts. Most definitely not an insurmountable problem but just worth being aware of it.

dat

« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2019, 05:28:38 am »
I commute on a Genesis day one. I can just for 40mm with mudguards. Picked mine up for £420 new so can be pretty cheap if you hunt around.

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2019, 07:14:44 am »
I bought a nearly-new specialized tricross singlespeed when I couldnt find a pompino in my size (to replace the one I'd stupidly sold a few years earlier) and it's been great.  I think it only cost about 150 quid too, off'f the LFGSS forum.  A crosscheck or steamroller would be awesome but quite a lot pricier.

dat

« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2019, 07:51:29 am »
I bought a nearly-new specialized tricross singlespeed when I couldnt find a pompino in my size (to replace the one I'd stupidly sold a few years earlier) and it's been great.  I think it only cost about 150 quid too, off'f the LFGSS forum.  A crosscheck or steamroller would be awesome but quite a lot pricier.
I commuted on a single cross for 6 months. Hated it, not stiff enough for hauling up hills and steering was unresponsive. Pretty light though!

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2019, 08:37:45 am »
A lot more expensive than a Pompino but fits the bill - Brother Cycles 'Allday'.

https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/frames/the-allday/

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9 on: 11 November, 2019, 08:44:16 am »
That's a pretty good idea, I thought about getting one for a while but ended up with a second hand Condor Tempo.  The only issue that might be worth thinking about is the OLN on the rear hub, I'm guessing that the Cross Check is 135 or maybe 130mm but most (not all) fixed hubs are 120. You can space them out but not all of them have a suitably long axle to leave enough thread for the nuts. Most definitely not an insurmountable problem but just worth being aware of it.

Rear ends quoted as 132.5 - can use road or mtb hubs.

« Reply #10 on: 11 November, 2019, 02:15:12 pm »
I commuted on a single cross for 6 months. Hated it, not stiff enough for hauling up hills and steering was unresponsive. Pretty light though!

I don't really like my Singlecross much but that's a bonus for a winter commuter in some ways. Got it cheap, had it over 10 years, done about 30,000 miles on it (on the frame & forks, stem and bars anyhow, everything else has been replaced). I think it's ugly but it does have a lot of clearance. The stock headset was rubbish.

dat

« Reply #11 on: 11 November, 2019, 03:15:05 pm »
I'm on a Genesis day one now for commuting. Heavy, but rides nice and has disc brakes. I got if for £420 on sale at cycle Republic. That reminds me though, the cranks have had a recal and I need to drop in my local genesis dealer.

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #12 on: 24 November, 2019, 09:35:19 pm »
J have one of the last Pompino framesets unused - unsure of the size.....Are you interested or are you heading down a different path???

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13 on: 26 November, 2019, 10:38:24 pm »
I hate to brag but I've just snagged a new Pompino for £225 including home delivery. Basically it's their unbranded factory sample with v brakes and etc. It gets delivered this Saturday, bide your time and I'm sure the real version will be on sale soon!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #14 on: 07 December, 2019, 12:10:12 pm »
Well if you can bear to wait, planet X have recently announced that a pompino rerun is imminent! I am thinking of treating myself to one with a mini v on the front.

https://www.facebook.com/planetxbikes/posts/3095702127112957
Why not go full sized V-brakes with the drop bar levers for V brakes?  It's no longer a funny adapter jobby.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #15 on: 07 December, 2019, 12:40:30 pm »
FWIW I have just but up a Cross Check as a general purpose bike.  I really like it - comfy ride yet can get a wriggle on if required, single, fixed or geared all work and it is very "standard" and this easy to source components for. 

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #16 on: 08 January, 2020, 09:53:24 pm »
What did you do in the end Aidan, did you get another frame?
I have a Pomp frame with forks, crankset, rear mudguard and brakes left on it.
I have used the wheels, seat, bars and levers on a bigger frame that actually fits me  ;D
I got it a couple of years ago from on here to see if I got on with fixed.
Not sure how old it is or if it's a L or XL. Will measure it tomorrow to be sure.
I rode it regularly up until this week mainly for work as it had a rack on it. Where my recumbent doesn't.
It's a bit tatty as you'd expect a well used bike to be. Looking for £50 + postage. I'm in Milton Keynes.

Rich

« Reply #17 on: 09 January, 2020, 09:09:34 am »
I commute on a Genesis day one.
So does No1Daughter. She is tiny, and old new stock was cheaper than DaT's, for the XS.

They're lovely bikes. Nicer than a pomp, IMHO.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 26 January, 2020, 10:37:06 am »
I hate to brag but I've just snagged a new Pompino for £225 including home delivery. Basically it's their unbranded factory sample with v brakes and etc. It gets delivered this Saturday, bide your time and I'm sure the real version will be on sale soon!
If it's unbranded, that gives you an excellent opportunity to have English translation decals made for it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.