Author Topic: Doorstep Milk delivery  (Read 24848 times)

Re: Doorstep Milk delivery
« Reply #100 on: 18 April, 2020, 02:53:32 pm »
I think the legal definition of a pint is now 568ml, and not by reference to any other standard.
Exactly.
Except for milk in returnable containers and draught beer, see earlier link.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Doorstep Milk delivery
« Reply #101 on: 18 April, 2020, 03:03:56 pm »
I think the legal definition of a pint is now 568ml, and not by reference to any other standard.
Exactly.
Except for milk in returnable containers and draught beer, see earlier link.
But the question is how do you define a pint?

In fact, SteveC is only partially correct - a pint is defined as 1/8 of a gallon, but a gallon is defined as 4.54609 litres.

(Until 1976 a gallon was defined as the volume of 10lb of water at 62F.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #102 on: 24 September, 2021, 02:09:14 pm »
My milk has not been delivered today.
I received an email timestamped 08.34 explaining this and another, stating I'd get a refund.

There's a REASON I always have (Mr Sainsbury's cheap plastic-bottled) milk in my freezer…

I'll probably cancel all deliveries around Christmas again.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #103 on: 24 September, 2021, 05:17:47 pm »
Around here people used to put a plastic bucket out, with one clothes-peg on the rim for every litre they wanted. The milk wasn't just poured into the bucket, it was in plastic blebs like Tetrapaks.  "Used to" because at some point in the last 20 years they stopped doing it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #104 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:43:01 pm »
My milk has not been delivered today.
I received an email timestamped 08.34 explaining this and another, stating I'd get a refund.
There's a REASON I always have (Mr Sainsbury's cheap plastic-bottled) milk in my freezer…
I'll probably cancel all deliveries around Christmas again.

8 weeks on: another cancelled delivery.

Friday receive an email advising me that New! Shiny! technology milkandmore is introducing might delay my next delivery.
Decided to get a 2 pint milk carton out of the freezer when milk hadn't appeared before we went to bed, as we keep silly hours.

Wake up to email cancelling delivery today due to 'unforeseen circumstances' + another email advising me of refund.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #105 on: 22 November, 2021, 01:47:56 pm »
Milk'n'More advised Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) that his payment this week would be going to not the usual recipient, but since he can read neither e-mails nor bank statements these days I doubt he cares.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #106 on: 22 November, 2021, 03:16:41 pm »
Milk'n'More advised Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) that his payment this week would be going to not the usual recipient, but since he can read neither e-mails nor bank statements these days I doubt he cares.

I had a similar email last week.

I didn't think to look at my bank statement, despite usually visiting my bank's website about four times per week.

It somewhat defeats the object of doorstep deliveries if the only way to be sure of a constant. reliable milk supply is to keep a freezer stocked with Sainsbury's plastic cows.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #107 on: 24 November, 2021, 05:49:07 pm »
D spoke to the milkman when he met him as he returned from the gym at dark o'clock today.

Apparently the dairy had changed his round and his electric van/float battery went flat.

I didn't realise they used electric vehicles. I knew they did in Days of Yore.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #108 on: 25 November, 2021, 07:02:06 am »
We have had the milk man knocking on our door twice, in the last few months trying to sell their service. Looking at the back steps around here when out walkies. This door knocking have clearly helped their business.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #109 on: 26 November, 2021, 01:39:43 am »
Milkman has delivered my 'distress purchase' of two loaves of bread and three pints of milk for the weekend.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #110 on: 14 October, 2022, 05:21:26 pm »
I *should* get 3 pints of semi-skilled milk every Friday.
I have received 2 pints of organic full-cream. I don't think this has been homogenised, as it seems impossible to pour.

I'm a pint short for the weekend but have reserves in the freezer.
I don't bother to phone about matters costing less than £5.
Creamy milk will make nice spud mash.

Milkman is failing to deliver full order or respond to a cancelled order approximately monthly.

I note milkandmore are pushing this organic milk...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #111 on: 15 October, 2022, 07:52:09 pm »
Used said whole, unhomogenised milk in my breakfast coffee, which cooled a while.

It developed a skin.

I'd forgotten about skin on milky drinks!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #112 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:45:51 pm »
Price has snuck up to £1.12 per pint for cheapest milk.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #113 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:07:32 pm »
Price has snuck up to £1.12 per pint for cheapest milk.

Wow! I grumbled when proper glass bottled milk went up from 69p to 79p here recently.
OK. Non delivered.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #114 on: 24 October, 2022, 11:05:40 pm »
Still 80p for Grahams and 89p for Mr Sainsbury's own-brand here.  How does that work, eh ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #115 on: 24 October, 2022, 11:16:51 pm »
Dunno.
I supplement my doorstep with 2 pint Sainsbury's at £1.25 a throw. Rather more milk for the money.

Have cancelled milkman for a fortnight over the Festive Season. We'll be away some of the time and there are several days without delivery. I can't easily freeze milk in glass bottles and M&M have failed to supply all ordered milk in previous years, so I'll stock & freeze, defrosting as needed.

Getting 4 pint bottles will make this MUCH cheaper!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #116 on: 25 October, 2022, 12:35:59 am »
I bought some milk from Tescos earlier.  Which was annoying cos it was £1.90/litre.  You could buy diseasel for that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #117 on: 26 October, 2022, 02:00:16 pm »
An alternative scenario for Mad Max.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #118 on: 08 January, 2023, 12:19:44 am »
Doorstep milk is now £1.19 per pint.
Sainsbury's is £1.30 for two pints or £1.65 for 4 pint plastic bucket.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #119 on: 08 January, 2023, 01:28:28 pm »
Around here people used to put a plastic bucket out, with one clothes-peg on the rim for every litre they wanted. The milk wasn't just poured into the bucket, it was in plastic blebs like Tetrapaks.  "Used to" because at some point in the last 20 years they stopped doing it.

I remember, way back in the '70s, hearing someone say 'Strange people, the English. They have milk in paper bags.'
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #120 on: 08 January, 2023, 01:29:53 pm »
Bagged milk appears to be a Canadian thing.  I'm still not sure how it works on a practical level.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #121 on: 08 January, 2023, 06:43:54 pm »
Something to do with the Canuckistanis going metric, I believe.  They didn’t fancy all the faff and expense of retooling production lines to make metric containers.  I'm failing to remember what I did for milk in those parts, though it didn’t involve bags.  I suspect small bottles of moo juice are available at a premium price.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #122 on: 08 January, 2023, 06:49:12 pm »
Oz had a brief period in my youth of floppy plastic bags that had to be supported in a rigid plastic holder before you could pour them without spilling.

We currently survive on milkman glass bottles. HK has discovered that the milkman will deliver all sorts of things from fair trade/ organic coffee beans and compost to washing up liquid. The small stuff pretty much all comes in bottles or jars that gets taken away by the milkman for refilling.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #123 on: 09 January, 2023, 07:59:45 am »
The plastic bag/sachet and a special plastic holder/jug were the thing in about 1983 when I lived in N Essex - the advantage of the bag was that you could freeze them to keep a few in the freezer for emergency stock.  Downside was that the open corner of the bag in the holder meant that without a seal the milk could be tainted by other stuff in the fridge.  IIRC it was a fairly short-lived idea and ceased just about the time I moved to Gloucestershire in 1986.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #124 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:44:16 am »
Still 80p for Grahams and 89p for Mr Sainsbury's own-brand here.  How does that work, eh ???

It's that inferior stuff from North of the Border of course it's going to be cheaper...

Up here Tesco do a pint of their own brand for 95p or 1.30 for 1.13l, Grahams is £1.05 for a litre in Tesco.
Less delivery mileage?