Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 24351 times)

Re: Rugby League
« Reply #100 on: 08 December, 2021, 09:06:28 pm »
Those two were just the shining stars, we have had others - we are a halfway house for antipode and who are too badly behaved for oz.

In other interesting news, Cornwall rlfc, srsly!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #101 on: 08 December, 2021, 10:34:41 pm »
It's closer than Toronto - though there is one in county Durham.

« Reply #102 on: 06 January, 2022, 11:35:32 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/59884125
Super League clubs are set to be ordered to forfeit matches, with their opponent given a 48-0 victory, if they are unable to fulfil a fixture because of a Covid outbreak.

Seems like a dik move to me.  Was the system abused last year?

« Reply #103 on: 06 March, 2022, 03:58:11 pm »
Gutted for TO, already showing that they are a level above Leigh last year though.

« Reply #104 on: 10 March, 2022, 06:06:53 pm »
TO v Wakey tomorrow for what could well be a wooden spoon deciding match.  Definitely a 4 pointer.  Will dropping Escare into the the Wakey side provide the edge they need, or will he fail to fit in with only a day's notice?

« Reply #105 on: 20 March, 2022, 11:02:21 pm »
Result for Wakey and RESULT for Toulouse.

« Reply #106 on: 27 March, 2022, 07:55:36 pm »
Wtaf is going on at Leeds and Wire?  Not surprising results based on how things are going atm, but why?

Also, I am pleased with the draw - we get to play Sintellens at home which is our best bet at beating them.  While it is a cup match I fancy our chances against all the other teams on a neutral venue.

« Reply #107 on: 01 May, 2022, 11:55:38 pm »
Continuing my monologue ...
Looking at the SL table the top 9 out of 12 teams are good enough to win some silverware, there's only the bottom 3 who are wobbly, but Wakey have been steadily improving year on year and you reckon Salford will come good soon.  I feel TO would deliver in SL if they were playing in the franchise "three year no relegation" system and I reckon so too would Fev and Leigh.
I know it weren't popular, but I think the three year franchise would be a good move in a year or two, especially if they expanded SL.

« Reply #108 on: 04 May, 2022, 08:27:25 pm »
Nice to see we're (Leeds) doing a little better since some back room changes, there're a lot of ego's in the squad, hopefully the new coach can point them in the right direction.

It's a shame TO aren't doing very well but it can't be a surprise to anyone involved, they can't move the goalposts mid-season re: relegation just because the new club are struggling though

In NRL news, Melbourne & Penrith are so dominant, it's pretty scary.

« Reply #109 on: 05 May, 2022, 03:18:03 pm »
They've had some close run matches and are just 4 points adrift.  It's not a forgone conclusion.

Don't reckon they should change mid-year, my point was more that there are a number of Championship sides that could make the step up given a couple year's grace in SL.  The current PR system is not very good as the promoted side has little time and money to buy a team to stay up - so are unlikely to do so.  I think the last team to make it up and stay up (having previously been an established championship side as opposed to a relegated SL side) are HKR.

« Reply #110 on: 15 May, 2022, 11:34:58 pm »
2 pts.  Decent show there, could see more wins in France.

« Reply #111 on: 29 May, 2022, 04:37:15 pm »
If it weren’t for disappointments I wouldn’t have any appointments.  Cracking game thoughbut.

« Reply #112 on: 29 May, 2022, 05:36:20 pm »
Yes, Giants definitely "Born Under A Bad Sign".  I feel sorry for the kicker.  Huddersfield look like failing in their attempt to return to the money division in the football, too, (probably jinxed by the carefully staged Boris and Tory arse-licker exchange in the Palace Of Varieties on Wednesday).

« Reply #113 on: 29 May, 2022, 06:32:15 pm »
Sadly, it turned out as I feared.  But courage, mes braves; the art of conversation is not dead:-

Huddersfield 0-1 Nottm Forest

Forest fans are whistling for time.

Huddersfield fans are stood, motionless.

It's like two contrasting emotions...  Yes, it's BBC punditry - all is well!

« Reply #114 on: 29 June, 2022, 05:12:24 pm »
This has been shared by Wigan

https://twitter.com/WiganWarriorsRL/status/1540390150991134721

It includes a cartoonish drawing of Ben Flower punching Lance Hohaia, a punch which ended his career due to ongoing issues from concussion.

I was never keen on Wigan but that leaves a sour taste.

« Reply #115 on: 03 July, 2022, 12:52:15 am »
1. Having been inducted into RL in the East of the Peninnies I have an "anyone but Wigan or Sintellens" attitude.  Wigan't blatant cheating to stay up is till on my mind.  I would love to e able to objectively enjoy the fact that they play awesome RL, but.
2. Fab French results this we, with Catalans beating evil Sintellens and TO winning - can they win two more games than Wakey now?  It's not impossible with a couple of very close games under their belts maybe this could give them the confidence they need, and they are ahead of Wakey on points difference.
3. Conundrum for tomorrow, I want Wakey to lose so that TO are more likely to stay up, but I want Wigan to lose to that Catalan retain 2nd place.

« Reply #116 on: 09 July, 2022, 05:09:41 pm »
MASSIVE win by TO and an unbelievable comeback (20-4 down at half time to win 26-38)!
2 points in it at the bottom of the table and points difference well in TO's favour.

« Reply #117 on: 17 July, 2022, 09:41:20 pm »
Another massive TO win and a costly Wakey loss.  Looks like both could lose their next two games, and it will all come down to score difference.  How much will Cas want to relegate them on the last game of the season?

« Reply #118 on: 22 October, 2022, 10:32:55 am »
Continuing my monologue:
World Cup and all the games are on the beeb.  Lots to catch up on recording box.  Will be suffering through France’s annihilation by England later today.

« Reply #119 on: 22 October, 2022, 12:46:27 pm »
Australia being Australia against Fiji & Scotland, England doing similar to Samoa after suggestions it'd be closer.

I was tempted to go to the England V Greece game at Bramall Lane, it's within walking distance but honestly the cost is too high for what will be a boring and very one-sided game.

NZ v Ireland or PNG v Wales are going to be the more interesting games for the group stages.

« Reply #120 on: 22 October, 2022, 11:12:56 pm »
NZ v Ireland or PNG v Wales are going to be the more interesting games for the group stages.
The latter yes, the former no.

« Reply #121 on: 23 October, 2022, 01:19:54 pm »
France fared better than expected and that Jamaican try!

« Reply #122 on: 23 October, 2022, 05:18:55 pm »
France still lost and conceded some soft tries.  First half was worth watching and very enjoyable.

Lebanon looking good and pool D looks like the one to watch with all looking like they could progress.  Would be a shame if png don’t make it past the group stages.

« Reply #123 on: 30 October, 2022, 06:37:38 pm »
a weekend of blow out score lines, hopefully the quarters are a bit more interesting

« Reply #124 on: 03 November, 2022, 05:59:38 pm »
The only games that weren't a forgone conclusion before the start of the comp were the Wales and France match, but then the results are still not surprising.
Do you reckon it would be better to order the matches differently or simply have the comp be Tri-Nations + PIs and PNG
Three WC ago they had pools with different ability groups, maybe they should have had the same format this year?