Author Topic: Worlds 2021  (Read 2326 times)

Worlds 2021
« on: 20 September, 2021, 10:15:53 am »
Well, the worlds has started. Mega flat TT course for the men yesterday and the women today. Not really a surprise in the top 5 (maybe slightly in the order), but Ethan Hayter did a good ride, and Dan Bigham demonstrated that aero is pretty damn important by beating a load of World Tour riders.
The women don't seem to ride many pan flat TTs, so today is going to be interesting...

Re: Worlds 2021
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2021, 09:00:22 am »
Nice to see Tony Martin with a final world championship on the day he retired.

« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2021, 07:57:42 pm »
Well done to Zoe Backstedt  :thumbsup: Be nice to have the rainbow jersey on some UK races next year.

« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2021, 09:10:32 pm »
Nice to see Tony Martin with a final world championship on the day he retired.

I can't find that result - was it in one of the new-fangled mixed thingies?  Definitely agree with the sentiment.  Wonder if he'll ask for the jersey to be made out of cardboard and have opi-omi printed on it.  Sickeningly coincidental that it brought down a German!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2021, 09:21:22 pm »
It was in one of the new fangled mixed things, yes.

The women's RR was good today too.  It was a shame Vos couldn't win but I guess the Italians can continue their 2021 domination of all things sport.

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2021, 10:01:02 pm »
Thanks, Karla.  And a good summation of my feelings about the women's race.  I didn't see it, I'm afraid but Marianne Vos's record of 2 wins and 7 seconds is sensational.  Suspect Italian resurgence won't stretch to the rugby - Scotland's South African could have got in the Saffas' team, I think, but not the motley imports in the Azzurri.

« Reply #6 on: 25 September, 2021, 10:31:17 pm »
Thanks, Karla.  And a good summation of my feelings about the women's race.  I didn't see it, I'm afraid but Marianne Vos's record of 2 wins and 7 seconds is sensational.  Suspect Italian resurgence won't stretch to the rugby - Scotland's South African could have got in the Saffas' team, I think, but not the motley imports in the Azzurri.

3 and 6 at elite level; 4 and 7 if you include junior level.

« Reply #7 on: 26 September, 2021, 11:12:46 am »
I only saw the last 15km of the womens road race - it was proper attacky. The Italians clearly won the teamwork - the Dutch plan seemed to be to attack with everyone except Vos and let her look after herself if it was a sprint, but the Italians saved a lead out. I felt for Kasia Niewiadoma - it looked like she covered pretty much every attack in the last 15k and launched a couple of her own, but missed the last one (not that she could have won a sprint from that 3 person group).

« Reply #8 on: 26 September, 2021, 12:07:18 pm »

3 and 6 at elite level; 4 and 7 if you include junior level.

Sorry, I took her palmares from the bbc report - silly boy!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 26 September, 2021, 11:17:53 pm »
(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10 on: 27 September, 2021, 09:51:14 am »
(click to show/hide)