Author Topic: Paris Roubaix 2021  (Read 5477 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Paris Roubaix 2021
« Reply #25 on: 03 October, 2021, 04:09:17 pm »
How is he keeping his shoes so white and clean
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #26 on: 03 October, 2021, 04:19:53 pm »
What a race.  What a finish. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #27 on: 03 October, 2021, 04:23:10 pm »
What a celebration.

« Reply #28 on: 03 October, 2021, 04:27:49 pm »
That'll be the comedown

« Reply #29 on: 03 October, 2021, 04:56:38 pm »
God doesn't want Moscon to win.

Neither do I  :thumbsup:

Amen to that.

« Reply #30 on: 03 October, 2021, 04:57:51 pm »

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 03 October, 2021, 07:18:53 pm »

Watched the hilights. It was very hard to follow who was who as they were all just covered in mud. Today there's lots of crashes, not just the riders, but also at least one team car...

That anyone willing rides the Pavé of Paris Roubaix amazes me. I've done it once on the sportiv. Ye gods it was horrendous.

The women's race still feels like an insult. 5% the prize money for the winner that the men get, and only 116km.

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #32 on: 03 October, 2021, 08:28:02 pm »
And one motor bike camera hit the deck when they slammed on the anchors after a cyclist went down.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #33 on: 03 October, 2021, 08:29:29 pm »
The women's race still feels like an insult. 5% the prize money for the winner that the men get, and only 116km.

J
Yup. And that is why I make sure I'm out supporting their races to show ASO etc that it would be grand to have their races live and paid well,

« Reply #34 on: 03 October, 2021, 09:23:20 pm »

Watched the hilights. It was very hard to follow who was who as they were all just covered in mud. Today there's lots of crashes, not just the riders, but also at least one team car...

That anyone willing rides the Pavé of Paris Roubaix amazes me. I've done it once on the sportiv. Ye gods it was horrendous.

J

It’s reported that Lizzie’s sponsors have made up the shortfall over the men’s prize. I appreciate that this isn’t really the point, but it signals their view.

« Reply #35 on: 03 October, 2021, 09:37:30 pm »

J

Add on the TV coverage only starting after the "attack" that eventually decided the race makes it even worse.
Perhaps Deignan should have flagged down a bus and complained  :hand:.

« Reply #36 on: 03 October, 2021, 10:20:17 pm »
Horrible race today. Enjoyed watching it all  :thumbsup:

I've ridden those cobbles on both my bicycle (rode my Roubaix on the Cyclotourisme version a few years back) and motorbike. Both were tricky. Those cameramen standing up on the back with the cobbles being in that condition have balls of steel - I winced many times expecting them to be off.

« Reply #37 on: 03 October, 2021, 10:48:13 pm »
TV highlights coming up on Quest, 11pm.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #38 on: 03 October, 2021, 11:06:21 pm »
I have done my best to watch women races only, live*,  the last few years and we gotta get more on Live TV. Cause often these races are so much entertaining than the men's

*been lucky that Tour of Britain, Tour de France, Tour de Yorkshire, local road races and Worlds have come through town

When the Commonwealth road races were in Glasgow I took one look at the entry lists and decided I was going through at silly AM.
Right enough the Womens field was much stronger and provided a much better race for someone standing out in the rain.
The Men's race was crap, in crap weather.  I ate an Irn Bru ice cream cos I was bored and needed something to do.

She's as hard as nails.

You need to be! - I've ridden on the pave stretch at Hem on a touring bike with panniers - an experience to put it mildly.   

What was fun was to ride round the open-air velodrome at Roubaix on the same bike although I did take the panniers off (the site is completely open with no gates and attracts lots of runners and casual riders) - baking is pretty tame compared with London, Manchester or Newport velodromes.

Looks back at pictures from 2014... Vehicle and pedestrian gate open, and I just poked the camera through them...  :-[

« Reply #39 on: 05 October, 2021, 11:34:00 am »
The prize money is an insult, and the lack of full race coverage too. The distance at least has some reasons (ie riding on cobbles works best above a certain speed, if you make the race longer and slower then you actually make the cobbles that much harder). Same for the fact that the route avoided Arenberg - it would have been quite close to the start, and hitting that with a full peleton would have been insanely dangerous.
Hopefully it will evolve to be longer (and the UCI can fix their stupid rule about short races or make exemptions for classics like they do for the men).

« Reply #40 on: 05 October, 2021, 01:51:28 pm »
Isn't there a Paris-Roubaix sportive-type-thing for amateurs? How long is it?

« Reply #41 on: 05 October, 2021, 02:09:59 pm »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #42 on: 05 October, 2021, 03:01:17 pm »
Also the Paris Roubaix Cyclotourisme, which is a separate event.
https://www.calendrier.dusportif.fr/paris-roubaix-cyclotourisme-02900

I did the 259km option in the early 2000s (2004?). It hurt quite a lot at the time and I still have a small scar caused by my watch.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #43 on: 05 October, 2021, 06:29:38 pm »
The cyclotourisme version I did was 210km.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #44 on: 05 October, 2021, 07:03:47 pm »
The cyclotourisme version I did was 210km.

I did the shorter version a couple of years ago. It was brutal.

J
--

« Reply #45 on: 05 October, 2021, 07:48:16 pm »
Yes. Four of us rode it, one had to abandon part way because his hands were a bloody mess and he couldn't hold the bars. It must be many times worse riding it under race conditions, especially with the weather on Sunday.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #46 on: 05 October, 2021, 07:51:00 pm »
Yes. Four of us rode it, one had to abandon part way because his hands were a bloody mess and he couldn't hold the bars. It must be many times worse riding it under race conditions, especially with the weather on Sunday.

I did it with full bike packing luggage on and aero bars. Cos I'm a moron.

On a couple of segments I was following the gutter, and then had to spent 10 minutes picking shrubbery out of my rear drive train. My big mistakes were forgetting my sports bra. And not realising how much my forearms would hurt from the vibration.

J
--

« Reply #47 on: 07 October, 2021, 09:47:03 am »
just saw the team car behind Lizzy yesterday drove the last 20km with a flat tyre

Didn’t see any up close whilst watching the men’s race but I wondered if they had proper mud and gravel rally tyres and sump guards fitted - I certainly would in those conditions
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #48 on: 07 October, 2021, 11:17:23 am »
I think Team Sky did that with one of their cars a few years ago. It was more for publicity than anything.
Movistar seem to be using Volvo V60 Cross Countrys. I imagine those would be suitable for the Roubaix roads but not ideal for haring down Alpine passes.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #49 on: 07 October, 2021, 11:23:01 am »
Are Ineo$ not using (prototype) Grenadiers?  Tch!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime