Author Topic: Power cuts: are you prepared?  (Read 5029 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Power cuts: are you prepared?
« Reply #75 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:17:28 am »
We have a fair supply of wood from last year in the woodshed.

At the moment we chew through it in the Pizza Oven more than the woodburner, which has not been sparked up since early Spring.

I guess my Plan B for the Zombie Appocalypse involves a lot of pizza.

« Reply #76 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:17:58 am »
It seems that EV manufacturers have missed a trick rather by not adding a commando socket to the car so that you can tap the battery for power in the event of a power cut. I've got an inverter somewhere that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket but that would connect to the 12V rather than the traction battery, so it's doubtful that it would be able to support a small induction hob.

I think they're slowly starting to realise that a decent spec AC inverter fed from the main battery is something that people want.  Possibly as an optional extra.

I'm sure that build is to price so any such inverter installation can be had at a price.  The newest Hyundai and Kia offerings do come with  a gadget (might be an optional extra) to allow for 240v feed back through the charging socket.  Given the size of ev batteries now this has to be a viable option.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #77 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:23:08 am »
It's gone up, but not by anything like as much.  700kg of ash is about £370, up from £270 seven years ago.  Plenty of free logs on Faecebook if you buy for next year (or two ysars' time).
:D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #78 on: 12 October, 2021, 09:26:19 am »
We have a fair supply of wood from last year in the woodshed.

At the moment we chew through it in the Pizza Oven more than the woodburner, which has not been sparked up since early Spring.

I guess my Plan B for the Zombie Appocalypse involves a lot of pizza.
Lots of possibilities: pizza kuru, baked brains on toast...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.