Author Topic: Home energy saving tips /ideas...  (Read 97927 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Home energy saving tips /ideas...
« Reply #975 on: 24 January, 2023, 08:09:03 pm »
I set the thermostat to 18 (6.30am-10.30pm) which seems fine. Previous flat (bigger rooms, higher ceilings, no insulation or double glazing) was generally at 19.5. We're using about £1.50 a day in gas at the moment (heating, hot water and hob), which doesn't seem too bad.

That is very cheap.
I just checked, and over winter, we are using about £7  worth of oil a day. That is for a 5 bedroom detached house.

My SiL, in Oxfordshire, is shelling out £10 per day; and their house is smaller than ours.

Still on a fix from before the price hikes (this is only a 3 bedroom flat though). I'm not looking forward to this coming December when it ends! I'm torn between making the most of the heating while we can still afford it, and getting used to the cold in preparation...

When I was round on Boxing Day my gran was past £10 for the week... Boxing day was monday, electric resistance heating and 86 year old warmth FTW.
That's a small ground floor flat though, i suspect her upstairs neeburs heating is considerably cheaper.

December I managed to average 3.50 a day on gas  :o
Last january it was 1.20 but then the average temperature was around 5 not -5

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #976 on: 25 January, 2023, 07:44:44 am »
And running off red diesel in your home... tsk tsk tsk
I was under the impression that red Diesel is legal heating. Oil heaters often use kerosene instead of red Diesel but there's not much difference in characteristic or price.

My parents' house was heated with red Diesel until they changed to gas. I remember having to clear the wax from the filter several times in the cold winter of 1978.

Recalling from the 15 years or so that I heated houses by oil - there were 2 types of oil - 28 second and 35 second (the measure being some sort of viscosity IIRC) - 35second was in effect red diesel and 28 second paraffin/kerosine.

« Reply #977 on: 25 January, 2023, 08:29:03 am »
Red diesel is a legal fuel for heating in domestic premises but not commercial buildings.  If your appliance will burn 28 sec heating oil (kerosene) then that is almost always cheaper than 35 sec(red diesel).

I have seen several people recommending those Chinese heaters mentioned above but also an informative video showing calculations saying that the claimed heat output was something like double the maximum possible based on the claimed fuel usage.  I wouldn’t touch them and that is before you get to the safety concerns.

« Reply #978 on: 25 January, 2023, 08:33:20 am »
There is a podcast on the BBC (Sliced bread) about those little plug in  ceramic convection heaters.  The conclusion is that they will work well in a very small, confined space but will not heat a room anywhere near to the extent of the claims.

The overall best solution to single room heating was marginally the oil filled radiator.

I must add that they tested a few options including fan heaters at Octopus's research site and did not simply plug them in in the studio and give a subjective opinion.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #979 on: 25 January, 2023, 03:52:32 pm »
Meanwhile, most of the windows in the sheltered housing at the back of my house are wide open, presumably because heating is included in their rent.  You can't fix stupid.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #980 on: 26 January, 2023, 07:00:41 pm »
Meanwhile, most of the windows in the sheltered housing at the back of my house are wide open, presumably because heating is included in their rent.  You can't fix stupid.

Possibly they don't get any control over the heating, and thus the options are accept what ever temp is set for everyone, or open a window.

I've seen this with university halls of residences. It's also worth noting that some cultures think you need to open a window for at least ten minutes every morning. It's very weird...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #981 on: 30 January, 2023, 04:53:42 pm »
Well, this weekend the loan and the cashback for our insulation FINALLY arrived in our bank.
14 months after I first started trying to get insulation.
6 months after I paid for the insulation.
4 months after I sent the claim forms and new EPC in to prove the work had been done.

I mean it's a great idea, but you're pretty much stuffed if you are ill, have mental health issues, a deficit of spoons or are just generally not very resilient. And if you have cash flow problems and can't afford the wait between a potential payment upfront or getting grief from the installers for not getting paid I imagine that would be even more stressful.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #982 on: 30 January, 2023, 05:53:06 pm »
Yup, a friend has been without boiler for a month waiting for this scheme. I did warn her of your awful waiting time, but she's determined not to pay cos she's eligible on benefits basis for it... But she's bastard miserable and the cold has really affected her physical and mental health.

The scheme is a disgrace if it can't function quickly and effectively.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #983 on: 30 January, 2023, 05:57:24 pm »
Hopefully she doesn't have to wait much longer. I don't know if the scheme for people on benefits is administered any differently or not. I believe since the revised funding announcement in December they are going for more upfront funding rather than retrospective but I'm not sure if that's only for certain things.

ETA, having read it again that's incorrect. They're just offering a grant without the need to take out a loan as well. Bet it doesn't change the fact you have to get the work done and provide all the docs before you get the money.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #984 on: 30 January, 2023, 06:56:56 pm »

And then they wonder why more people don't take advantage of schemes like this.

Wish government put just a little more effort into making support schemes easier for people to use.

J
--

barakta

« Reply #985 on: 30 January, 2023, 06:57:04 pm »
Not sure of the latest details but there was a 5 week wait for assessment, then there's now apparently a 3+ month wait for 'warmer homes' to actually cough up the grant to get a new boiler. Fine if you are replacing an old but working boiler, not fine for a no-boiler situation in winter.

Friend could cash in her (permitted on benefits) savings, so I suspect she'll end up doing that cos 3 more months of no heating in winter in Scotland is going to be too bad for her health. Some others would have no choice which is a grim thought.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #986 on: 30 January, 2023, 07:01:31 pm »
And then the companies contracted to provide advice go bust...
https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/status/1619944454319898624?t=zUMGQydFnFEo2Cc_eHcDcg&s=19

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #987 on: 30 January, 2023, 07:20:46 pm »
And then the companies contracted to provide advice go bust...
https://twitter.com/paullewismoney/status/1619944454319898624?t=zUMGQydFnFEo2Cc_eHcDcg&s=19

The maths on that doesn't make sense. Apparently it's 600 jobs lost.

A £700k contract would give each of those 600 £1166.67 was the contract only for 2 weeks ?

J
--

barakta

« Reply #988 on: 30 January, 2023, 08:30:11 pm »
Looks like the director has form for this.

Why is our government allowing people with such awful scammy history to get these contracts rather than existing organisations with a good track record?

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #989 on: 30 January, 2023, 09:23:19 pm »
Due diligence hasn't been applied by the government for some time now.  >:(
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #990 on: 30 January, 2023, 09:24:40 pm »
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #992 on: 31 January, 2023, 09:57:48 pm »
Sarah Go Green on Twitter borrowed a thermal imaging camera off Octopus to discover why her bedroom was so freezing after the developer who built her house refused to admit there was anything wrong. Turns out they'd not insulated the loft properly.
https://twitter.com/sarah_go_green/status/1620418499888971776?t=Q1aBnfkZW8tZrDIqRfRkuA&s=19

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #993 on: 31 January, 2023, 11:54:39 pm »
If you can borrow one of those do, it is enlightening.  I thought the new build (1997 is well new in this abode) extension would be reasonably insulated. Is it arse.  You can get figures using an infrared thermometer but they are hard to believe.  They are accurate but this human at least didn't believe the piss poor surface temperatures I was reading inside on a cold day.  Seeing the pictures after I later invested in a Seek Thermal removed all doubt.

I'd post some horrifying thermal & visual shots from this winter but my photo hosting seems to be titsup.  By horrifying I mean 7 degrees internal surface temperatures.

(Mrs P, if you have a USB C phone of recent vintage and you can root it to get USB OTG access then you'd be welcome to borrow the Seek)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #994 on: 01 February, 2023, 09:04:18 am »
Serious thought here about how to improve our Victorian semi.

#1 - Replace boiler. Current boiler is ~22 years old, but was class leading at 78% efficiency when we installed. Change to Condensing at 93% efficiency should lead to 20% improvement.

#2 - change our front sashes to slimline double glazed (12mm deep, argon/other gas filled). Units can be bought for about £1,300, not sure about the fitting cost. Uncertain benefit, but 6m2 of single pane glass does a lot to cool a room.

#3 - improve draftproofing on front door, consider if some sort of secondary glazing might be an idea for the stained glass, without making it look too naff.

Well, the results are in for #1, with two full months on a new boiler.

Clearly there is difficulty comparing one year with the next, but average temperatures haven't been that different year on year (if anything, cooler this year). Our comfort level has, if anything, increased yoy as this year we have been far more sedentary  with Mrs Ham - she with the Ice Maiden extremities - still recovering from her ankle op in August. Hot water has been tuned down a little, flow temperature is lower than the old. Heat input into room implicated in #2 up there ^^ has been increased by the addition of another radiator, which enables curtains to be closed, makes the room cosy so stops Mrs Ham from whacking up the stat to the rest of the house to get the front room warm. We have shut off heating to rooms that aren't used and improved drafts on one or two doors.

So the overall result calculated based on average daily consumption - saving 19% in Dec and 21% in Jan is amusingly close to the expectation. I'll take that as a win.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #995 on: 01 February, 2023, 11:02:25 am »
If you can borrow one of those do, it is enlightening.  I thought the new build (1997 is well new in this abode) extension would be reasonably insulated. Is it arse.  You can get figures using an infrared thermometer but they are hard to believe.  They are accurate but this human at least didn't believe the piss poor surface temperatures I was reading inside on a cold day.  Seeing the pictures after I later invested in a Seek Thermal removed all doubt.

I'd post some horrifying thermal & visual shots from this winter but my photo hosting seems to be titsup.  By horrifying I mean 7 degrees internal surface temperatures.

(Mrs P, if you have a USB C phone of recent vintage and you can root it to get USB OTG access then you'd be welcome to borrow the Seek)

My hoose is similar age
What was the outside temperature adn the heated air temperature inside
I found my external walls around 15 with air temp of 19 and outside -4
but there's gaping holes in the wall due to poor filling of holes drilled and therefore the howling gale round the timber frame isn't doing it's job too well.

SoreTween

« Reply #996 on: 01 February, 2023, 01:12:40 pm »
Mine is solid stone construction.  I took the thermal images on 18th Dec and it was 2.9 degrees outside at the time.  We were in the run of really cold nights, we hit double digits negative a few times but the previous night we'd only hit -7.  Internal target temp is 18.5 degrees, it would have been below that, 17 at a guess.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #997 on: 01 February, 2023, 01:24:05 pm »
 :o

SoreTween

« Reply #998 on: 01 February, 2023, 04:36:23 pm »
Yeah, that's what I felt about it too.  That wall faces onto a neighbors property, I've started mentioning the possibility of external insulation which would steal about 200mm at the end of his land.  He seems amenable.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #999 on: 01 February, 2023, 05:09:44 pm »
SoreTween, thanks for the offer but I have an IR thermometer and that's probably close enough. I think I posted here last winter about the cool readings on the flat roof section of our bedroom ceilings, which need upgrading but that's a tradesman for another year. I figure I'll wait until the roof felt is a bit older while I have other more exciting priorities for my money.

@Ham, sounds like a good result!