Linked Events

• York Rally: 17 June, 2022 - 19 June, 2022

Author Topic: York Rally 2022  (Read 10834 times)

Re: York Rally 2022
« Reply #25 on: 29 April, 2022, 04:27:10 pm »
At the present I am shaking off the after effects of Covid and trying to rebuild some strength. As I am looking forward to being there, one way or the other I shall make it.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #26 on: 29 April, 2022, 07:08:57 pm »
Orange cardboard has been procured.   Let's hope the train are not on strike.    https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2022/04/26-rmt-launches-national-rail-strike.html
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #27 on: 29 April, 2022, 08:30:24 pm »
Due to domestics will have to come up by car in case I have to get back at short notice.  Have permission, so theoretically good to go.......... :thumbsup:
Edit. Booked.
As per usual if anyone wants something bringing up please let me know. Looking forward to seeing friends again, it has been a while.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 08 May, 2022, 11:40:49 pm »
Looks like it's going to be a big one...

Quote from: https://yorkrally.org/news/
Campsite bookings: a new advance record!
As mentioned in the last newsletter, advance campsite bookings online and by post have been coming in at an astonishing rate. With six weeks still to go, we already have more pitches pre-booked for 2022 than for any York Rally since the event was revived in 2015.

We’re all looking forward to a buzzing atmosphere on the campsite and at the wider Rally. If you haven’t already, please do book your pitch now to be part of a landmark Rally – advance bookings are open until the 10th June!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 09 May, 2022, 07:39:07 am »
I'm looking forward to all the talented Yacfers doing their bits at the open mic session. Or not.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #30 on: 09 May, 2022, 07:44:11 am »
I shall eat loads of beans & practice my rendition of Joseph Pujol’s greatest hits….

« Reply #31 on: 24 May, 2022, 07:13:10 pm »
I have booked. Looking forward to seeing you all again 😀
the slower you go the more you see

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #32 on: 24 May, 2022, 09:36:09 pm »
York Pride also scheduled for the Saturday, btw. Parade goes from the Minster to the Knavesmire :)

« Reply #33 on: 25 May, 2022, 09:00:59 pm »
I have booked. Looking forward to seeing you all again 😀

It will be nice to see again everyone who will be there. Chris will Apollo be joining? Haven't seen him for a long time.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #34 on: 26 May, 2022, 08:50:33 am »
Unfortunately not as I can't arrange transport for him  :)

« Reply #35 on: 30 May, 2022, 09:46:21 pm »
The solar system track could be OoO due to Sustrans works to the Fisher bridge. Whatever are we going to do?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 30 May, 2022, 10:53:23 pm »
The solar system track could be OoO due to Sustrans works to the Fisher bridge. Whatever are we going to do?

Flip and burn manoeuvre outside the ecliptic plane.

« Reply #37 on: 30 May, 2022, 11:04:18 pm »
Does that mean leaning to the left a bit whilst eating one of Crinkley's amazing barm cakes?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 30 May, 2022, 11:17:46 pm »
Actually, what *is* the alternative way to get to Clarion's Local?  There aren't an awful lot of bridges.  Stinky Poo Farm route via Fulford, I suppose...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #39 on: 31 May, 2022, 04:53:39 am »
When I cycled there last week, I went past the stinky poo farm. I headed to the planets path on autopilot on the way back and discovered that the cycle path was closed just past the turning for the pub if you are heading to the outer planets. I only used the path to just past naburn station and the tea hut before rejoining the road and going back past the stinky poo farm, so I don't know whether the section that way was also closed. I can check though!

« Reply #40 on: 31 May, 2022, 09:14:22 am »
Does that mean leaning to the left a bit whilst eating one of Crinkley's amazing barm cakes?

May I recommend a highly educational series called "The Expanse".......    (you could make a similarly titled one about my waistline  :( )

« Reply #41 on: 31 May, 2022, 12:54:17 pm »
As my normal route to York is the planets path I assume that the alternative is to follow the b route through Naburn and into York on the a road north of the river and cross the river in York and find a quietish route to knavemere as the Riverside cycle route is also closed. Sounds like fun  ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 31 May, 2022, 12:57:21 pm »
The other question is do all these closures mean the path is finally getting some much-needed resurfacing?  Or are they merely heading off a bridge collapse?

« Reply #43 on: 31 May, 2022, 01:09:01 pm »
Probably just the bridge. One can dream though  :)

« Reply #44 on: 31 May, 2022, 01:13:57 pm »
My only other option is to take the b road to Tadcaster and follow the lane's to knavesmere. Adds about 26th miles though. Might not be to bad if the weather is nice  :)

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #45 on: 31 May, 2022, 03:38:47 pm »
The other question is do all these closures mean the path is finally getting some much-needed resurfacing?  Or are they merely heading off a bridge collapse?

Allegedly(!) the path is being resurfaced. They may well be removing the tree roots which caused the awful state of the path in the first place, but I haven't been that way for a while, so I don't know what is happening down there.

The good news is that the stretch from the sun alongside the A64 has been majorly improved. Previously it was about 1.5 bikes wide and had a surface that made riding a pneumatic drill seem pleasant by comparison. It is now more than twice the previous width and has a smooooooth new tarmac surface.

Also, if you are approaching York along the cycle path from the north (NCN 65) there is a diversion across Clifton Ings, due to some work being carried out on the flood defences. The diversion is nice and wide (and also very smooth) tarmac. The diversion appears in Open Cyclemap, although it doesn't appear to be routable in RwGPS yet.

If I can find any pictures of these, I shall post them in a bit!

Edit: Found some screen grabs from my bike camera.

Clifton Ings NCN 65 diversion southern end, looking north:

Mid way along the NCN 65 diversion looking north:

North end of the NCN 65 diversion looking east - the path north is round the left-hand corner ahead, the closed path into York is off to the right:

The New! Improved! Widened! path from the Sun alongside the A64 towards the Knavesmire:
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #46 on: 31 May, 2022, 04:41:27 pm »
The good news is that the stretch from the sun alongside the A64 has been majorly improved. Previously it was about 1.5 bikes wide and had a surface that made riding a pneumatic drill seem pleasant by comparison. It is now more than twice the previous width and has a smooooooth new tarmac surface.

[...]

The New! Improved! Widened! path from the Sun alongside the A64 towards the Knavesmire:

:thumbsup:

I think that one was responsible for me wandering around the rally in search of a headset spanner a few years ago.

« Reply #47 on: 31 May, 2022, 07:57:34 pm »
Woah, that path's a lot better than I remember it! :o

« Reply #48 on: 01 June, 2022, 11:15:36 am »
That looks lovely Yorkie.

We always lean to the left a bit darling!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #49 on: 05 June, 2022, 09:34:19 pm »
Various problems, mainly Health related, make York a no-go for me, Again, this year.
i do have the Email receipt/booking confirmation. If anybody is looking for such, I can pass it to them. I assume a note to the Organisers, giving my details and  Name/email for the taker would be enough to keep it going.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!