Author Topic: Jonathan Penrose (1933-2021)  (Read 1905 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Jonathan Penrose (1933-2021)
« on: 02 December, 2021, 11:23:18 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/02/jonathan-penrose-obituary?fbclid=IwAR205qDuVgVlQM-CCE5KBF4iVgRpQLhFPvMPXXjTgLjJQeD7xDGWrF3RICI

One of a massively talented family. Before my time, but in the Olden Days, the Essex chess first team had (I think) at least 3 Penroses lined up, when a charabanc would be hired to take the team to away matches.

I'm pretty sure Helly told me once that her family knew the Penrose family quite well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Jonathan Penrose (1933-2021)
« Reply #1 on: 02 December, 2021, 11:46:13 pm »
Related to the mathematician? 

Edit - just read the link.  Thought it was a strong possibility!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Jonathan Penrose (1933-2021)
« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2021, 05:37:45 pm »
The strategic concept was simple. When Tal, following one of his own previous wins, moved a rook from f8 to e8, Penrose unleashed a pawn sacrifice which enabled the Englishman’s queen and rook to breach the black defences via the the vacated f1-f8 line. Tal fell acutely short of time, lost a piece, belatedly resigned, and blamed Keres.

The game created a furore because of its decisive style and its dent to the Soviet team’s invincibility. Penrose was given a standing ovation when he entered the players’ dining hall that evening, and next morning the Guardian and other English broadsheets headlined the result on their front pages.

I just love those two paragraphs. You've not just won a game of chess, you've beaten the great Mikhail Tal, the World Champion and one of the greatest attacking players who ever lived. You've done so as an amateur player based on your own homework, studying the games of one of Tal's Soviet team mates, in a style of which Tal himself would be rightly proud. And every top player in the world rises to their feet to salute you.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.