Author Topic: En*gma  (Read 18642 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: En*gma
« Reply #50 on: 22 December, 2021, 02:00:15 pm »
For interest, my old LBS have just handed a brand new bike to someone who broke their Alu Trek which had a lifetime frame warranty.  It was from 1995. Trek didn't quibble at all about honouring the warranty, apparently.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #51 on: 22 December, 2021, 02:57:53 pm »
For interest, my old LBS have just handed a brand new bike to someone who broke their Alu Trek which had a lifetime frame warranty.  It was from 1995. Trek didn't quibble at all about honouring the warranty, apparently.

I am not surprised, but normally they just replace the frame

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #52 on: 22 December, 2021, 04:19:32 pm »
1995 could have 126mm spacing, a threaded (maybe 1") headset, and other things that would make a new frame problematic for refitting components.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #53 on: 22 December, 2021, 05:26:11 pm »
From what I’ve heard, standard practice amongst the big bike brands is to supply a roughly equivalent current frame regardless of whether any of your old bits will fit. Labour is also your problem. This matches the wording of the warranty.

Chances are these days the replacement frame will be disc brake and the old one won’t.

« Reply #54 on: 22 December, 2021, 05:33:30 pm »
1995 could have 126mm spacing, a threaded (maybe 1") headset, and other things that would make a new frame problematic for refitting components.
I had this with my VN replacement. I had to shell out on a replacement front mech and a seat post on account of the seat tube of the replacement frame being of a larger diameter.
At least they gave me a 25% discount on the Ti seatpost - as opposed to a VN branded t-shirt, which was their initial offer. ::-)

Notfromrugby

« Reply #55 on: 22 December, 2021, 05:59:05 pm »

No… 126mm were abandoned a lot earlier… 8 speed required 130 mm dropouts

Notfromrugby

« Reply #56 on: 22 December, 2021, 06:01:03 pm »
From what I’ve heard, standard practice amongst the big bike brands is to supply a roughly equivalent current frame regardless of whether any of your old bits will fit. Labour is also your problem. This matches the wording of the warranty.

Chances are these days the replacement frame will be disc brake and the old one won’t.

Sadly you are right

rogerzilla

« Reply #57 on: 22 December, 2021, 06:41:27 pm »

They were still selling 7 speed frames for a while.  Not everything is cutting-edge.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #58 on: 22 December, 2021, 07:00:42 pm »

They were still selling 7 speed frames for a while.  Not everything is cutting-edge.

Indeed - my 1998 GT Timberline was 7 speed.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #59 on: 22 December, 2021, 07:28:02 pm »
As is my 1999 Saracen, and still going strong
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

sam

« Reply #60 on: 22 December, 2021, 08:32:33 pm »
...At least they gave me a 25% discount on the Ti seatpost - as opposed to a VN branded t-shirt, which was their initial offer.

Not very stylish, are they.

sam

« Reply #61 on: 22 December, 2021, 08:32:40 pm »
This is Greg, a complete stranger. I've just handed him my frame, because it's "get snapped with my frame" day. His sister Rachel looks as if she approves of this new holiday.

They were finishing up a tour of East Sussex hills when I happened upon them. We had a nice chat about, well, bikes.

Greg let me see one he's having made using, if memory serves, Reynolds 531. Now that I'm in fact-checking mode I see that referred to in past tense, but available by special order.

The new baby

His Condor has a little problem. See if you can spot it.

(click to show/hide)

I'm just in the titanium chapter, but I wonder how big the club is.

sam

« Reply #62 on: 23 December, 2021, 10:45:00 am »

yes please

rogerzilla

« Reply #63 on: 23 December, 2021, 11:32:06 am »
I think it needs a string of fairy lights, or at least some tinsel.

sam

« Reply #64 on: 23 December, 2021, 01:01:18 pm »
We had very nice tinsel which got lost in the loft – it's like the last scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark up there. Same with the lights. I think both were retired anyway when a certain someone came along.

I have something in mind. Meanwhile...

Scenes at the Museum

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #65 on: 23 December, 2021, 03:47:48 pm »
getting a ti frame that will last is like winning a lottery - it does happen! overbuilt frames from steel, aluminium and carbon will never break, but are also less exciting to ride than the lightweight ones (which can occasionally crack). if i had to chose a custom frame it would be made from one out of the three aforementioned materials, depending on it's intended use.

random photos below, one of which shows that cracks also happen longtitudinally, where the flat sheet was rolled and welded into a tube.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #66 on: 23 December, 2021, 03:54:36 pm »
Carbon fibre thermal expansion is more difficult to define as it can vary with direction and exact materials but is perhaps 1/6 that of Ti. There is virtually no galvanic corrosion between them.

Casting and machining Ti lugs is expensive and even 3D printing isn’t cheap.

are there any long term problems with carbon tubes bonded into custom steel lugs as some frame makers are doing?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #67 on: 23 December, 2021, 04:10:37 pm »
Steel isn’t as anodic as aluminium in the galvanic table but there is still a pretty big potential for corrosion of the steel to occur.

The thermal coefficient of steel is about half that of aluminium.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

sam

« Reply #68 on: 24 December, 2021, 07:08:21 am »
getting a ti frame that will last is like winning a lottery - it does happen!

That could almost be their new slogan.

The following represents the heartbreak that could also be yours.

« Reply #69 on: 24 December, 2021, 07:31:44 pm »
Just read this sorry tale and I was reminded of two separate warning tales. One was the certain french tool firm (not Facom, they have a reputation so don't need guarantees) who gave a "lifetime" guarantee against breakage. We broke one of their expensive tools and tried to get a replacement. "It's broken so its life is finished - beyond lifetime no replacement!" A bit galling for a manufacturer's workshop with almost entirely this make of handtool - the local rep was a bit embarassed as well, he would have liked to,sell us other stuff!
The other tale concerns Ti bits on bikes. Many years ago when Richard Virenque was riding Peugeots for Festina (about the time of the famous Peugeot Power Yoke on their aluminium frames IIRC), his rig was part of an article in a cycling magazine (perhaps Le Cycle, perhaps one of the others devoted to training plans and pro kit for MAMILs). He remarked that he used Ti components (might have been seatpost and qrs). He reckoned to replace them at least once in the season to be sure that they wouldn't fail at a critical moment. I always think of this when I see Ti as a frame material, can't think why ???

Of course nothing beats steel! My tandem frame is coming up for a century (modded all over the place to take modern bits, I ride it and since I don't know what was on it originally I am not trying to dress it up in the wrong period kit). Show me a soot bike of that age! (Mind there are quite possibly a few aluminium frames around from the 20's or even before).

I remember seeing Richard Virenque riding what looked like (on the telly) a titanium Peugeot... it looked a lot like a Lightspeed frame.

sam

« Reply #70 on: 25 December, 2021, 12:00:03 am »
I think it needs a string of fairy lights, or at least some tinsel.

I wanted the frame in a manger: the gift of ti, the break representing original sin or somesuch. Unfortunately I had no hay, the new timothy we've been using for the rabbit being too expensive to waste as a prop. In fact the props department couldn't find anything Christmassy at all. Other than a bit of seasonal music ("faith hope and gluttony") in the background, an appreciation for the light shows, and a residual mellow glow from Christmases past, it's not much more than another day to us.*

Knowing what a challenge it was may better prepare you for the following:

There's always room in the bike shed

The space heater represents Mary and the warmth of her love. Joseph is the snowman, as it could be cold in the bedroom being married to a virgin. The cow and owl doorstops, and rabbit (battery operated, it runs through a cycle of colours), were the only witnesses I could rustle up. The owl is standing in for the three wise men. The famously fecund bunny is the ideal symbol of birth. And the cow is like "Holy cow!"

* Joyeux samedi

sam

« Reply #71 on: 26 December, 2021, 10:04:19 am »
aaaaaaaand Boxing Day

sam

« Reply #72 on: 27 December, 2021, 07:31:56 pm »
What I'm listening to this evening.

(actually a Lezyne is how the light got in)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #73 on: 27 December, 2021, 08:08:42 pm »
That image, with the light pouring through the crack, reminds me of something from Dr Who.

Timey Wimey.

https://doctorwho.tumblr.com/post/140002727001/trixmacmillan-theres-a-crack-in-my-wall-extra
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

rogerzilla

« Reply #74 on: 27 December, 2021, 08:21:50 pm »
Also when Agent Smith is seen for the illusion he is at the end of The Matrix.

https://youtu.be/Vy7RaQUmOzE?t=04m00s

They made more films after the first one?  Nah, you're yanking my chain.