Author Topic: Disk fork for pompino  (Read 6010 times)

Disk fork for pompino
« on: 26 February, 2022, 11:49:43 am »
I’m considering joining the 21st century and running cable disks at the front of my pompino.  Anyone recommend a suitable fork?  I would want to continue running mudguards and 38mm tyres.
I foresee the big expense being updating my dyno hubs and wheel rebuilds.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Disk fork for pompino
« Reply #1 on: 26 February, 2022, 12:09:25 pm »
In an ideal world you would lay your hands on a Pompetamine fork, but that might not be possible. Give On-One a call?

« Reply #2 on: 26 February, 2022, 12:26:30 pm »
Last time I asked them they just gave me a gallic shrug.

« Reply #3 on: 26 February, 2022, 12:37:04 pm »
Understandable I suppose. This looks like quite good value given how little it appears to be used .... any use ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134029588489 seeing it inspires in me a wave of nostalgia ( I used to have one )

« Reply #4 on: 26 February, 2022, 08:20:25 pm »
Surly do a reasonable choice and availability seems OK, though the prices have shot up.
Ideally you want to match the axle to crown distance and the offset, measure both, they usually come in a fairly narrow band, but On-One wasn't always usual. 

« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2022, 12:34:58 pm »
I own an older Pompino - 2011 I think, it has wishbone stays but 120mm OLD spacing. I've been mulling over the same question for when my current front rim wears out.

I'm interested in a carbon fork that takes mudguards and a 32mm tyre but isn't overly expensive as it's a cheaper frame. There is surprisingly little out there.

If you want steel, from talking to owners I know the the Genesis Croix de Fer fork and Surly's forks for their Disk Trucker and Straggler work nicely. You might find some inspiration browsing through the LFGSS Pompino thread as there are loads of fork swaps pictured: https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/183036/

Cheers, Nim

« Reply #6 on: 15 March, 2022, 03:41:13 pm »
Are you sorted for this? If not then I have a fork at home that may be suitable. I bought it second hand, want to say is off a genesis of some kind but can't remember. 

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2022, 11:21:13 pm »
Hey Nim, my bike is even older than that I reckon - it was in the sale for selling off the MKI frames (I think), defo >16 years old.  I had a thought in my mind of a CF fork, but that would take 38mm tyres + guards.

No, FC, not sorted it yet.

« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2022, 04:30:48 pm »
Reply from planet-x
Are you change the front wheel to one with a 12mm thru-axle? 9mm QR carbon forks with clearance for 38mm are proving difficult to find.
I think I maybe understand what they are saying.  As I would be building a wheel for this it's a question of whether it will work with a dynohub.  Would have been more helpful to be answered - you can get this but only if you have this hub or run 650bs or ...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2022, 06:28:37 pm »
I’ve got a Cotic Road Rat fork gathering dust if it’s of any interest?

« Reply #10 on: 21 March, 2022, 08:25:27 pm »
Reply from planet-x
Are you change the front wheel to one with a 12mm thru-axle? 9mm QR carbon forks with clearance for 38mm are proving difficult to find.
I think I maybe understand what they are saying.  As I would be building a wheel for this it's a question of whether it will work with a dynohub.  Would have been more helpful to be answered - you can get this but only if you have this hub or run 650bs or ...
Yes, nowadays most 'gravel' style forks are thru axle.
You can get a dynamo hub with thru axle if you want. Shimano, SON and SP all have some.

Also check what sort of headset the fork needs. Think some gravel forks use wider/tapered headsets?

« Reply #11 on: 21 March, 2022, 10:28:20 pm »
Yeah, PX told me that irrespective of hub they don't do old fashioned forks for non tapered headseats.

Paul, FC - I could be interested in a fork - could it take a fat tyre with guards?  If I swap to disk brakes I could go 650b as I also run tubeless.  I expect I would need to measure ... stuff ... to ensure that I don't have toe-mudguard overlap.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #12 on: 21 March, 2022, 10:40:32 pm »
How fat do mean? It won’t take a “proper” (4”) fat tyre but should take a normal mob tyre.

« Reply #13 on: 21 March, 2022, 11:01:23 pm »
Or something from Exotic / Carbon Cycles? Not sure if any of them mudguard mounts, but could attach them somehow.
https://www.carboncycles.cc/index.php?s=0&t=0&rb=14&

« Reply #14 on: 22 March, 2022, 09:53:58 am »
So, just changed the brake pads on my bike -apparently doing this every 3 years is a thing.  :facepalm:  Now my bike stops.
I have to have a think as Disk brakes would mean new (dyno) wheel and new brakes and ... looking at a few £100s at least, which I am not sure is worth it.

« Reply #15 on: 12 December, 2022, 10:58:32 am »
Considering the same fork PX but on a Kaffenback, they reckon it's up to 38mm tyres, but then I am happy with tighter clearances than most shops (my Pompino is currently running 38mm tyres).
Though at this point I might be dropping to 650bs for the tyre clearance.

Not entirely convinced, mostly because £150 + New wheels and tyres + New hub dynamos (plural for the winter wheels with snow tyres) ... probably looking at the best part of £1000.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 13 December, 2022, 09:31:40 pm »
Can I just say that the title of this thread suggests you would go to extreme lengths to obtain a fork, possibly behind a skip in Naples.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #17 on: 13 December, 2022, 09:36:40 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #18 on: 14 December, 2022, 11:03:13 am »
Considering the same fork PX but on a Kaffenback, they reckon it's up to 38mm tyres, but then I am happy with tighter clearances than most shops (my Pompino is currently running 38mm tyres).
Though at this point I might be dropping to 650bs for the tyre clearance.

Not entirely convinced, mostly because £150 + New wheels and tyres + New hub dynamos (plural for the winter wheels with snow tyres) ... probably looking at the best part of £1000.

There are still some old model straight steerer QR disk forks for Surly Straggler and Disk Trucker around if you are lucky enough to get there when they're in stock. Not cheap (110€ was the cheapest I saw on german sites but sometimes up to double that) but it does save changing the wheels. (I almost went down this route already having a disk dynamo hub wheel but am staying with rim brakes)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #19 on: 14 December, 2022, 11:05:37 am »
Can I just say that the title of this thread suggests you would go to extreme lengths to obtain a fork, possibly behind a skip in Naples.

I'd rather a good fork to a pompino any day.

« Reply #20 on: 24 November, 2023, 01:24:00 pm »
I have exactly the same situation, I commute on an old railway line and the general crap goes through rims nearly every . It's a significant expense since I have to get the wheels built again but a new hub (it's a dynamo is a ball ache too). It might be worth learning to rebuild wheels, anyone tried it?

« Reply #21 on: 07 December, 2023, 10:11:50 pm »
rebuilding front wheels is not hard.  I can do it.
Swapping on a replacement rim of the same make/type/size is reasonably straightforward.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #22 on: 08 December, 2023, 10:16:39 pm »
I have exactly the same situation, I commute on an old railway line and the general crap goes through rims nearly every . It's a significant expense since I have to get the wheels built again but a new hub (it's a dynamo is a ball ache too). It might be worth learning to rebuild wheels, anyone tried it?

another excuse to recycle a ten year old fuff piece from the blog
https://audaxing.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/rim-swaps-made-easy/