Author Topic: Travel PCR requirement 3 weeks after having covid?  (Read 1148 times)

Travel PCR requirement 3 weeks after having covid?
« on: 16 March, 2022, 06:29:40 pm »
Got to have a PCR (paid) no more than 48 hours before landing in Morocco in 3.5 weeks time. (requirement to enter Morocco)

Problem is I have covid now, so in theory could still test positive on a PCR. Any thoughts on what I can do?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Travel PCR requirement 3 weeks after having covid?
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2022, 06:34:57 pm »
Get someone else to take the test for you? ;D

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2022, 06:51:43 pm »
Well...the obvious solution is to not stick the swab up my nose. Easy to do if postal...but given that the flight is a Monday and there is no reliable post service at the weekend this is a non-starter. Therefore we've got to go to a travel clinic. Question is...Will they let us administer the test ourselves...

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2022, 07:49:09 pm »
I'd say the answer to that is somewhere between very unlikely and no.

The fact that a PCR is likely to be positive for months after contracting covid is why most countries accept proof of recovery, but not Morocco. You could get someone else to take the test if they don't require photo id, but then you have the possibility of being selected for a random test on arrival. Which apparently is a thing - some antigen but some PCR.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2022, 08:02:37 pm »
PCR tests aren't necessarily positive for months, it depends on the level of infection and viral clearance (either directly, or from dead and dying tissue). While PCR is exquisitely sensitive, the machines used in these assays basically measure the rate of amplification and use that to derive the amount of viral RNA in the sample. There's a minimum sensitivity to avoid false positives. You can be clear in 10 days or so.

I'd take a self-administered test about a week before and see if you are clear, at least that might remove a surprise. Otherwise, this is travel in the covid era.

« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2022, 08:34:03 pm »
Good idea. I'll get a free one at end of march

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2022, 09:25:04 pm »
Any thoughts on what I can do?

Not travel?

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2022, 09:29:29 pm »
That's helpful. Cheers.

« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2022, 01:24:24 pm »
I have not done this but perhaps sitting in the car and doing a gentle nasal lavage with a string and warm water would dilute any remaining virus to undetectable levels?

« Reply #9 on: 19 March, 2022, 01:31:18 pm »
 ;D

I can envisage total co-operation with that from my 10 and 12 year old.

I'm hoping a combination of poor supervision and sleight of hand will do it.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #10 on: 19 March, 2022, 02:00:49 pm »

What ever you do, I wouldn't talk about it on publicly viable easy to google forums...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11 on: 19 March, 2022, 02:12:23 pm »
Especially with that user name.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #12 on: 19 March, 2022, 02:26:15 pm »

What ever you do, I wouldn't talk about it on publicly viable easy to google forums...

J

I think you are over-estimating:

a) the integrity of private pcr test companies, whose only interest is making a quick buck.

b) the likelihood of a Moroccan functionary being employed to scour the Internet looking for dastardly plans of a recently-recovered covid victim trying to avoid the possibility of a ghost positive.

c) my infamy, outside of the universe that is YACF.

;D