Author Topic: LEL Stage by Stage Breakdown  (Read 19625 times)

LEL Stage by Stage Breakdown
« on: 21 March, 2022, 07:03:27 am »
Current stage by stage breakdown of LEL route, from the routemiester himself

Re: LEL Stage by Stage Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2022, 09:07:41 am »
Thank you Lighting Phil - it makes it less daunting when you see it like this.

Regards

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2022, 03:31:45 pm »
Stages 6 and 13 still look pretty daunting :o
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Edd

« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2022, 12:59:24 pm »
Is a riders control closing time likely to be a simple 12km/h minimum speed or has a PBPesque formula with different speeds out and back been used in the past?

« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2022, 01:10:12 pm »
It’s a nominal 1500km, 1500km / 12 km/h = 125 hours, hence the time limit given. You’ll note the breakdown above gives it as 1519km, which means your min overall is 12.15km/h.   For LEL the closing times will simply based off the min overall, with no higher min overall in the first 600km (as PBP does).  Control open and close times specific to your start time, will be in your brevet card. No complicated maths needed during the event.

Edd

« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2022, 02:06:54 pm »
Sounds good, Cheers Phil

« Reply #6 on: 22 March, 2022, 11:57:19 pm »

Ideal stages for a hidden control?
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2022, 08:37:06 am »

Ideal stages for a hidden control?

There might be dozens of them  ;D
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2022, 09:38:36 am »

Make sure you’ve had extra crumble and custard for the longer stages  :D

ealer

• novice audaxer
« Reply #9 on: 23 March, 2022, 01:16:59 pm »
Current stage by stage breakdown of LEL route, from the routemiester himself

Really helpful - thanks Phil

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2022, 09:44:01 pm »
Now up to 1522km and appears to have moved back to the A7 / Longtown route return between Eskdalemuir and Brampton.  I’m guessing the new alternate shorter laney route hasn’t had a good winter and they’ve done a recent route check.

ealer

• novice audaxer
« Reply #11 on: 09 May, 2022, 12:54:47 pm »
I was just wondering what the pros and cons are of the various GPS route downloads might be.  As I suspect everybody has now seen, the LEL website has the following available:

1 x 1500km
2 x 750km
5 x 300km
22 x individual stages

Is there a consensus as to what tends to work best?
I assume that if I go for the 1 complete track I have much more chance of something going wrong due to file size etc or if there is any minor corruption, but going for all 22 strikes me as increasing faffage if I have to exit each stage and find the next route at each control point.

Maybe I should keep all 22 as back up to be used in emergency but opt for a larger file as my 'default'?

I was planning to empty my unit of all non-LEL courses/routes prior to the event to free up memory.

I use a Garmin 520 Plus in case that affects answers.

Thanks

« Reply #12 on: 09 May, 2022, 02:29:12 pm »
It depends on your GPS , how you use it, and your preferences.  Plus does your GPS have any quirks you are aware of when navigating longer tracks etc?

I prefer to just follow a line on the map with no prompts. 

The problem with a single full track is that north and south overlap but unless your gps shows arrows on the map it would be easy to pick up the southbound route when you meant to follow the north bound route.

The stage by stage tracks ensure you don’t miss a control , but it’s pretty hard to miss an LEL control anyway.  You will have to load up a fresh track at every control.  In a tired state you may load up the wrong track or it may be possible you didn’t load all the tracks on your gps before you left home. It is additional mental load you may not want in a fatigued and sleep deprived state.

The tracks of 300km each, where do they end? I’d hate nothing more than the track just ending in the dark in the middle of nowhere, at night, between controls.

My preference is to load a single north bound track, followed by a single southbound track.  Plus have waypoints with alarms for all the controls.  My gps remembers the track it was navigating even when switched off, for instance if I’m sleeping. Thus I can just switch it back on and I’m good to go. Only needing to load a fresh track at the start and Dunfermline. Minimal mental load when it comes to navigation.

Anco De Jong in 2017, used the single northbound and single southbound tracks.  Not that that should influence your decision.

ealer

• novice audaxer
« Reply #13 on: 09 May, 2022, 02:50:31 pm »
Yes, the risks you point out of having 22 separate routes to fiddle around with was what I was worried about.

I've just checked again and the "2 x 750km" is basically one route north and one route south, so this looks like it could be a good option.

Cheers

« Reply #14 on: 09 May, 2022, 03:03:28 pm »
I don’t know whether the latest single northbound and southbound tracks are 10,000 points or more. Some older gps can’t handle more than 9,999 points in a track such as my eTrex 30x.

I’ll be putting the tracks through my own app https://simple-gpx.herokuapp.com/ to clean them up / simplify for my use. That should reduce each track to about 4,500 track points based on when I ran the first ones published through it. That was with default settings which is what I use for my audax rides. It’s also the setting I used to generate the single north and single south in 2017.

« Reply #15 on: 09 May, 2022, 04:04:30 pm »
I was just wondering what the pros and cons are of the various GPS route downloads might be.  As I suspect everybody has now seen, the LEL website has the following available:

1 x 1500km
2 x 750km
5 x 300km
22 x individual stages

Where are you seeing the 2x and 5x tracks? I can only see download links for the complete route and the 22 individual stages at https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route

« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2022, 06:12:42 pm »
FYI, I contacted the organiser today about an error I spotted on the latest published route, and he confirmed they are still working on the tracks and will be publishing another update soon. Probably worth holding off doing any work preparing your GPS devices until the final route is officially confirmed.

ealer

• novice audaxer
« Reply #17 on: 09 May, 2022, 06:40:01 pm »

[/quote]

Where are you seeing the 2x and 5x tracks? I can only see download links for the complete route and the 22 individual stages at https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route
[/quote]

Weird - I've just looked again and the 2x and 5x have now disappeared.

« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2022, 07:00:22 pm »
I think it might be web page cacheing; I seem to remember someone else having to do a forced refresh to get the latest version of the LEL website.

« Reply #19 on: 09 May, 2022, 08:22:45 pm »
Yeah, we started a review of the route and routesheet this week, and we'll take another week to finish this. So expect lots of minor amends to the route mapped on the website.

We currently have the route available as gpx or tcx files. We won't be offering and special outputs and we'll leave you, the riders, to make any bespoke tracks from those that we provide.

The routesheet should be published this weekend. Sorry it's taken so long/  :-\

« Reply #20 on: 09 May, 2022, 08:25:00 pm »
I'll definitely go with the 1 track per stage approach. Then my GPS (Etrex 30x) gives me the countdown until the control. It's the approach I always use so I'm used to starting a new track when I'm audaxing anyway.
Whatever you do, try out first if it works with your GPS.

« Reply #21 on: 09 May, 2022, 08:27:56 pm »
I'll definitely go with the 1 track per stage approach. Then my GPS (Etrex 30x) gives me the countdown until the control. It's the approach I always use so I'm used to starting a new track when I'm audaxing anyway.
Whatever you do, try out first if it works with your GPS.

I agree with you. It also makes setting the route much easier.

« Reply #22 on: 09 May, 2022, 08:32:29 pm »
Route is down to 1510km too. We managed to shave 12km off this weekend.

« Reply #23 on: 09 May, 2022, 08:59:22 pm »
Does that mean less time?

« Reply #24 on: 09 May, 2022, 09:20:50 pm »
You still get 125 hours, giving you an effective minimum speed of 12.08 kph.