Author Topic: E bike hybrid to drop bars  (Read 1503 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
E bike hybrid to drop bars
« on: 21 March, 2022, 03:17:02 pm »
I have a hybrid ebike. Which while lovely to ride, really needs drop bars, mainly for the having different hand positions on the handlebar. I realise I cant really fit any fake sti's to get that riding position but that's fine.

Other than filing the brake levers etc slightly to get them to fit the drop bar is there any way of fitting a set of drops?

thanks

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

velosam

Re: E bike hybrid to drop bars
« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2022, 04:29:48 pm »
Cool thanks

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2022, 06:05:00 pm »
Given that you probably aren't too fussed about aerodynamics, would butterfly bars be an acceptable solution?  Plenty of hand positions, lets you keep the existing controls.

velosam

« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2022, 06:19:34 pm »
Thanks Kim but for a hybrid it's an odd bike. The geometry feels way too responsive and quick, with a long bar drop. Do I thought I may use the drop bars to help on flat, longish sections of road, rather than be more upright. I do miss all the drop bar hand positions and comfort

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2022, 07:01:11 pm »
Going from flat bars to drops will tend to increase the reach, unless you change the stem. So if it already has a long bar drop, that might be something to watch out for.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

velosam

« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2022, 07:59:47 pm »
Yes, lots to think about and I just realised will need new grips

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2022, 09:54:29 am »
I have a hybrid ebike. Which while lovely to ride, really needs drop bars, mainly for the having different hand positions on the handlebar. I realise I cant really fit any fake sti's to get that riding position but that's fine.

Other than filing the brake levers etc slightly to get them to fit the drop bar is there any way of fitting a set of drops?

thanks

Just about all ebike controls are flat bar only, and hard to adapt to the larger diameter of drops. You can't get fake STIs, but I've found that inboard-mounted bartends give a similar position and still leave your existing controls accessible.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2022, 01:38:59 pm »

thanks

Just about all ebike controls are flat bar only, and hard to adapt to the larger diameter of drops. You can't get fake STIs, but I've found that inboard-mounted bartends give a similar position and still leave your existing controls accessible.

Not quite accurate - quite a few bikes have a top-tube/crossbar control system - button(s) in the tube just behind the head tube . . .   Orbea, Ribble, Boardman to name but a few.   It's a very neat solution and obviates more cables on the bike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2022, 01:45:48 pm »
E-road bikes are very much a thing. Or should that be road e-bikes?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2022, 10:45:59 am »
Would you want drop bar brake levers and gear levers? (i.e. is the e-bike gubbins separate from the gear shifter?)

I think I'd try to fit drop bars with an additional piece of tubing to mount the e-bike display/control. That tubing could simply be another handlebar of suitable diameter with the ends trimmed. That additional section could be clamped in place using spinacci clamps. Just the clamps from a cinelli spinacci kit, not the extensions.

Picture the set up in this photo with the yellow extensions gone and a shortened bar there instead:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=91226.msg1875507#msg1875507

velosam

« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2022, 12:24:50 pm »
I like that set up. Need to experiment a bit more

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2022, 02:55:39 pm »
Surely something like a Minoura Space Mount would be a tidy solution - and you could mount a light/Garmin whatever too.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/large-2735mm-minoura-space-mount-sg-400-short-extension/