Author Topic: Selling gold  (Read 996 times)

Selling gold
« on: 15 May, 2022, 12:38:21 pm »
I don't actually have any gold or even jewellery but asking for someone else.

Does anyone have experience of selling gold jewellery, preferally not online? Is it a case of taking it to a jewellery shop or gold dealer? A quick search turns up a gold dealer in Hatton Garden (London's jewellery street) who claim they offer the best price for scrap gold.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Selling gold
« Reply #1 on: 15 May, 2022, 12:46:01 pm »
My wife sold some gold sovereigns a few years ago. I can't remember the details but I think she did it online. I vaguely recall there are various hoops to jump through, mainly to prevent money laundering and/or fencing stolen goods, but yes, it's basically a case of asking a dealer for a valuation and agreeing to it.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2022, 02:54:58 pm »
We had 'heirlooms' to dispose of and didnt fancy online nonsense. So we read hallmarks for carat, weighed the items on 0.1g druggie scale and googled value, asked local jeweller and his price was bob on, none of that postage malarky.

« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2022, 04:00:06 pm »
We went to local, family run (3rd generation now) jewellers and bullion dealers. Probably not the absolute best rate but trustworthy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4 on: 15 May, 2022, 10:27:02 pm »
Bear in mind that unless the Jewellery has some special or antique value (then they should sell at auction), a jewellery dealer will only pay the scrap value of precious metals and stones rather than an amount related to the cost of the item when new.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 15 May, 2022, 11:36:04 pm »
Sure there is someone in a local pub that can take it for someone else?

It is simpler than it looks.