Author Topic: Counting bug splats  (Read 2457 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Counting bug splats
« on: 05 May, 2022, 02:03:01 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/may/05/flying-insect-numbers-have-plunged-by-60-since-2004-gb-survey-finds

My guess is that there is something else going on here too.  For a bug to be splatted, the car has to be travelling above about 40mph.  Otherwise they bounce off (probably fatally) or are pushed up and over.  A car only driven within urban areas doesn't usually pick up any at all, because of the speed limits.  The peak splatting speed is about 60mph, in my experience.

Motorways and dual carriageways have few bugs because there's nothing green there to interest them.

So, to splat bugs, you need to be on a typical A- or B-road, travelling at over 40mph.  That is less common than it used to be, due to congestion and far more long speed-limited stretches than there were 20 years ago.  It would be possible to correct for this with GPS logging, but tricky to do.

Also, the reason there aren't as many bumblebees about is that they are all on my lavender in summer  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
Re: Counting bug splats
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2022, 08:16:36 pm »
Whilst travelling in France to and fro Pyrenees,  rediscovered bug splats.   The petrol stations even have a scraper to remove said bug splats.  What are they doing differently?  Also saw three separate kestrels hovering by the roadside in otherwise barren looking farmland, in just 20 miles on the N154 to Rouen.  (If you know PBP think of the road to Dreux).  Ditto.  Plus swifts screaming overhead as I finish my dinner in Chartres.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)