Author Topic: Tyre Widths - front vs rear  (Read 2754 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Tyre Widths - front vs rear
« on: 05 May, 2022, 09:02:45 pm »
The Cruzbike S40 has absolutely bugger all clearance up front for a splodgy tyre - 28mm is absolutely max.  The rear however has plenty of room for at least a 32mm posibly up to 40mm.  This has got me wondering (after a couple of particularly spine-rattling bumps today) do any of you fellow unconventionalists use different tyre widths front/rear, on the same size wheel? 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Tyre Widths - front vs rear
« Reply #1 on: 05 May, 2022, 11:01:05 pm »
On the SPM I think the front tyre was a little narrower - based on that being the biggest thing that would fit under the 'guard.

On a DF you want a decent wide front tyre to absorb vibrations on your hands, on a laidback I would reckon front tyre could go narrower and rear would be more important.  I now only have a trike so it's a different kettle of seafood.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #2 on: 05 May, 2022, 11:56:03 pm »
Masters

I have removed the duplicate topic in accordance with Starfleet Directive 46309-ZZ9.

Your shiny metal servant

C-3PO

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2022, 12:06:17 am »
Starfleet Directive 46309-ZZ9.

'Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon'?

ElyDave

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2022, 05:52:35 am »
I'm just glad it wasn't THX1138

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2022, 05:59:50 am »
Another trike user with 20" wheels all-round.
I run a different tyre on the back vs the front two but more to even the wear rate front to back.
I only really stress the front tyres in silly high speed corners/braking, while I stress the back tyre more often due to hill climbing.
With the same tyres front/back, I'll wear the back tyre out in half the time it takes me to wear the front ones out, ~4k vs ~8k.
I got a bit bored of trying to find a decent 20" tyre part way around a long tour.
So running a heavier duty tyre on the back gives me more rubber to wear away and all the tyres now last roughly the same distance.
Plus the heavier duty tyre gives me slightly better puncture resistance which is important as a back wheel puncture on a tadpole trike is a lot harder to fix vs a front wheel one.

Luck ........  ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2022, 11:57:18 am »
Starfleet Directive 46309-ZZ9.

'Terraformers are expressly forbidden from recreating Swindon'?

Surely that should go without saying.  Who would want to recreate Swindon?

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2022, 12:03:01 pm »
Another trike user with 20" wheels all-round.

[...]

So running a heavier duty tyre on the back gives me more rubber to wear away and all the tyres now last roughly the same distance.
Plus the heavier duty tyre gives me slightly better puncture resistance which is important as a back wheel puncture on a tadpole trike is a lot harder to fix vs a front wheel one.

Similarly, teh baraktacycle currently sports a Marathon Plus on the rear, which has an assortment of electrickery to make removing the wheel a pain, but Big Apples on the front, where the lack of suspension is felt more acutely.

Never tried different widths on a bike.

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2022, 01:00:19 pm »
I only have recumbents with different size wheels front and back and therefore cannot answer your question.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2022, 04:48:41 pm »
General rule is to fit the fattest tyre that fits for best comfort and reduce pressure as the size goes up. However tread area and sidewall compliance is a factor when running at lower pressures, and a stiffer tyre can negate benefits of going bigger (puncture resistance, grip and durability trade offs).

Also worth considering is the size ranges available on tubes - see what tyre sizes can be supported from a single variant of tube (when both wheels are the same size).

Steering responsiveness is primarily affected by the contact patch of the steering (front) tyre - a larger contact patch creates greater resistance to low speed steering input but is less significant on effect of leaning in corners once moving. With the front drive/steer set up on the cruzbike tweaking this will significantly affect handling during launch and uphill riding.

When you figure out a perfect tyre combination the manufacturers will probably discontinue them...

ElyDave

« Reply #10 on: 06 May, 2022, 07:41:29 pm »
I only have recumbents with different size wheels front and back and therefore cannot answer your question.

Oh, go on!

You with your different wheel sizes  :P

« Reply #11 on: 14 May, 2022, 06:10:24 am »
I'm running 700c GP5000's with a 30 on the rear and a 25 on the front. Those tyres are spendy so I didn't want to waste them! Runs really nicely on my Metabike.

« Reply #12 on: 14 May, 2022, 07:45:32 am »
On the same bike?

« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2022, 03:12:24 am »
On the same bike. Like i said, runs really well.

« Reply #14 on: 16 May, 2022, 08:21:30 am »

Oh, go on!

You with your different wheel sizes  :P

I have front 406, rear 622.   I have generally been running 32mm rear and either a 37mm Pasela up front or in winter a 40mm Marathon up front.  The latter a bit bulbous, and wouldn’t like to corner as fast as on my narrower front tyres, but it rode okay for my winter outings without worrying about punctures when it’s freezing 🥶 cold.  Currently running front and rear same width.