Author Topic: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own  (Read 24575 times)

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
LEL things that don't need a thread of their own
« on: 11 May, 2022, 01:39:05 pm »
I have just learned that if you want to camp at Debden House you need to contact them by email on debdenbookings@newham.gov.uk for a booking, rather than using their website, as they have a field reserved for us that it not listed for sane members of the public.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Re: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own
« Reply #1 on: 28 June, 2022, 03:02:50 pm »
Yes, you can leave a small bag at the start. No need to ask; just bring it with you.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2022, 10:50:42 am »
A pendant notes a typo on https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route — “routehseets”
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2022, 03:20:16 pm »
I have not noticed this thread before, but its a bit late for me as I have booked the Friday and Saturday night before the event at Debden. I shall have to see if I can get my booking transferred to the LEL "Field".

« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2022, 07:03:37 pm »
I guess this doesn't need it's own thread.

re: ECEing to the start and time limit.

I'm required to register at 1600 on Saturday but start at 1130 on Sunday - do I get more time to complete the ride as "it's not my fault" I can't get going or should I just do the ride down as a DIY and just ECE home?

« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2022, 09:12:42 pm »
You can’t ECE LEL because you need to register the day before.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2022, 10:54:40 pm »
You register on Saturday .. fairly flexible about timing .. go away and sleep somewhere .. and then you have to be back at the school for your start on Sunday.  From that start time ..you have 125 hours to complete the ride.  Theoretically you could add another 100kms on to make it a 1600 ..either before or after .. but you would need to register it as an ECE .... but why would you ?? isnt 1500 hard enough?
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #7 on: 25 July, 2022, 11:03:26 pm »
During the  latest E2E/LEJOG record attempt by Christina Murray, her support team noted that the road surface on the old A74 between Gretna and Moffat was some of the worst that they had encountered.
I did it last weekend and thought it was just me being rubbish.
Enjoy.

« Reply #8 on: 25 July, 2022, 11:28:00 pm »
You register on Saturday .. fairly flexible about timing .. go away and sleep somewhere .. and then you have to be back at the school for your start on Sunday.  From that start time ..you have 125 hours to complete the ride.  Theoretically you could add another 100kms on to make it a 1600 ..either before or after .. but you would need to register it as an ECE .... but why would you ?? isnt 1500 hard enough?

Because it’s audacious and I need to get to the start one way or another, I’ll do a DIY 300

You can’t ECE LEL because you need to register the day before.

Can I ECE home?

« Reply #9 on: 25 July, 2022, 11:34:30 pm »
I guess this doesn't need it's own thread.

re: ECEing to the start and time limit.

I'm required to register at 1600 on Saturday but start at 1130 on Sunday - do I get more time to complete the ride as "it's not my fault" I can't get going or should I just do the ride down as a DIY and just ECE home?

You ride a loop of your choosing between Saturday and Sunday for bonus time.

Alternatively if you finish early, as long as the time from when you left home to when you finish is less than the overall ECE time limit you’re still good.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #10 on: 26 July, 2022, 07:58:21 am »
During the  latest E2E/LEJOG record attempt by Christina Murray, her support team noted that the road surface on the old A74 between Gretna and Moffat was some of the worst that they had encountered.
I did it last weekend and thought it was just me being rubbish.
Enjoy.

It was atrocious in 2017 and just as bad when I rode it again last year. The A701 between Blyth Bridge and Leadburn was also in terrible condition - very broken up at the edges but too busy to ride nearer the centre of the lane. Despite padded bars and gloves, my hands were very sore by the time I reached Edinburgh and were painful for the rest of the ride and for some weeks afterwards.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #11 on: 26 July, 2022, 08:15:07 am »
Do the 300 ECE between registration time and your start time. Then you’re good to start LEL and away you go.

« Reply #12 on: 26 July, 2022, 09:48:38 am »
Do the 300 ECE between registration time and your start time. Then you’re good to start LEL and away you go.

The ECE is an almost straight line from Sheffield (where I live) to the start, like I said, I'll do it as a DIY 300 and then I'll ECE home, if that's an option.

« Reply #13 on: 26 July, 2022, 10:40:38 am »
If you're feeling fit, an ECE is an option.

For extra info, if the ECE was 400km or more, your overall time limit reduces from 12kph average to 10kph average. You'd still need to ride LEL within that event's time limit, but you'd effectively have more time for the ECE, as that plus LEL would then be 1900km+.

But I'm not sure you'd gain anything from doing the ECE versus a DIY. Same points. Marginally cheaper to do the DIY (£10 for 3 rides) vs the ECE (£4 for 1 ride).

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #14 on: 26 July, 2022, 11:27:13 am »
Well at 10 km/h for 1900km , you are going to get 190 hours time allowance.  LEL is 125 hours.  Thus you have 65 hours to ride 400km.

Thus ride the 400km to Loughton over 40 hours with a bed and breakfast in the middle  to registration,  take a 20 hour break till your start, ride LEL and finish on time limit, and you still have another 5 hours to play with.

I’d say you gain a lot from ECE in terms of time allowance if you cover 400km or more. But DIY not dependent on finishing LEL, but you’ve got to ride a lot faster without opportunity for full nights sleep mid ride.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #15 on: 26 July, 2022, 05:30:39 pm »
Terrible to read (from Redfalo on Twitter  - https://twitter.com/OlafStorbeck/status/1551932434299723777) that some of the Indian riders are having to cancel because the Home Office has failed to process their visas. Let's hope some solution is found so that they can get here and take part.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #16 on: 29 July, 2022, 06:58:43 pm »
"[dropbags] are likely (but not guaranteed) to return to London as follows: [Friday afternoon for Louth]"

When can these be picked up (at the latest). Would Saturday early afternoon be ok?

« Reply #17 on: 01 August, 2022, 01:05:29 pm »
Some railway companies will be on strike on the Saturday following LEL (and this may also effect Sunday morning). Those going home by rail on this day should check and be prepared for an alternative.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #18 on: 01 August, 2022, 01:13:25 pm »
"[dropbags] are likely (but not guaranteed) to return to London as follows: [Friday afternoon for Louth]"

When can these be picked up (at the latest). Would Saturday early afternoon be ok?

May be  .. but we will pack up and leave as quickly as we can .  Breathing a sigh of relief .. Thank God that is over
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #19 on: 01 August, 2022, 01:18:25 pm »
the old A74 between Gretna and Moffat was some of the worst that they had encountered.

That section is not the old A74. That road (B7076) was built at the same time as that section of the A74 was upgraded to motorway. For the first few years it was great surface but unfortunately it has deteriorated, probably due to the number of forest lorries that use it. Otherwise, its a fairly quiet if rather dull road.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #20 on: 01 August, 2022, 01:25:12 pm »

May be  .. but we will pack up and leave as quickly as we can .  Breathing a sigh of relief .. Thank God that is over
I assume one could simply not return a bag at a control and carry it to the finish?

« Reply #21 on: 01 August, 2022, 01:29:10 pm »
the old A74 between Gretna and Moffat was some of the worst that they had encountered.

That section is not the old A74. That road (B7076) was built at the same time as that section of the A74 was upgraded to motorway. For the first few years it was great surface but unfortunately it has deteriorated, probably due to the number of forest lorries that use it. Otherwise, its a fairly quiet if rather dull road.

I got the impression that it had been refinished using boulderseal rather than the more usual chipseal.

« Reply #22 on: 01 August, 2022, 04:33:00 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Yoav.
Many parts of the D+G highways network seem to have that type of surface.
I don't think its truck related. they usually just create a tyre furrow.
I think  it's due to using larger aggregate size which breaks up when  water gets in and freezes.

« Reply #23 on: 02 August, 2022, 12:44:11 pm »
Bag drop content packed in my LEL 13 bags. One less thing to do and makes it easy loading up LEL 22 bags at registration

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #24 on: 02 August, 2022, 03:32:10 pm »

I don't think that's correct. The B7076 between Gretna and Moffat mostly is one carriageway of the old A74, except where it deviates to pass back through towns that the old A74 had bypassed (eg Ecclefechan). The only lengthy section built new is north of Beattock (so off the LEL route) as the M74 was built on the old A74 route. I don't recall the 'new' B7076 surface being much better than the reused A74 sections.