Author Topic: Mudguards and ground clearance (trike)  (Read 2126 times)

Mudguards and ground clearance (trike)
« on: 24 May, 2022, 07:32:54 pm »
I have fitted mudguards to the Catrike, but they catch when I drop off the curb.

from the lowest mudguard attachment point to the ground is 13cm (second picture).  I reckon I will re-drill the mudguards to rotate them forward so that they don't go as far past the attachment point.  I was thinking mudguard flaps to retain a degree of protection from the crud.  I reckon I will ask RAW what they reckon and possibly go with an SKS version otherwise.
Thoughts?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Mudguards and ground clearance (trike)
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2022, 09:56:43 pm »
Are you regularly in the habit of dropping off curbs?  Does it not risk grounding the frame?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2022, 10:05:59 pm »
Mudflaps and rotating the mudguards forward is the answer. RAW flaps are the right sort of stiffness but homemade is fine.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2022, 10:48:28 pm »
Are you regularly in the habit of dropping off curbs?  Does it not risk grounding the frame?
Well, once every time I set off and it would be worth being able to stop and start again from time to time.

« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2022, 12:16:23 am »
Well, once every time I set off and it would be worth being able to stop and start again from time to time.
      IMHO it would be better to roll trike off the kerb unladen then get on it, it would avoid shocks that said trike is not designed for (apart from avoiding scraping the guards)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2022, 02:45:11 pm »
IT's a fair cop, though if the trike can't take dropping off the kerb it won't cope with potholes/roads.