Author Topic: Something Else That Makes Me Cringe...  (Read 3504 times)

Re: Something Else That Makes Me Cringe...
« Reply #25 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:39:57 am »
Anyone encountered the Swiss-style hip bath ?
Rust never sleeps

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:48:40 am »
Roger Federer? H.R. Giger? Jean-Luc Godard? Daniel Bernouilli?  William Tell?

[“That's enough Schnibbles!” – Ed.]
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #27 on: 17 June, 2022, 10:56:19 am »
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #28 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:22:20 pm »
As a bass player I'm not familiar with the treble clef.

As a tuba player I have to be extremely familiar with both treble *and* bass clefs depending on what variety of ensemble I am performing with!

(Orchestra, Concert Wind Band, Big Band - always bass clef, concert pitch; Brass Band - Always treble clef transposed for the fundamental key of the instrument; Brass Quartet/Quintet/Sextet/etc. - Could be either, occasionally both in the same piece - depending on how sadistic the composer/arranger are!)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:43:34 pm »
On the topic of shower curtains ... I have long harboured the thought that all this "shower uses less water" is probably way out of date.

I've always assumed it was one of those assumptions made by  a) a man  with  b) negligible hair  and  c) only a face to shave.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:48:38 pm »
American baths, deep enough to immerse your butt crack, I have no idea about those, more so as the average American is about three times bigger than me. Maybe they are for their fat feet. They generally do know how to do showers though, I never encountered a British electric-powered dribbler, though to be fair, given weedy American electricity, it literally would be drip drip drip. You'd confess to everything. Or volunteer to be waterboarded, just make sure the water is hot.

USAnians incredulous reactions to discovering BRITISH people frequently shower alongside a "240V tankless water heater" are amusing.  Though convincing them that the risk is primarily of hypothermia rather than electrocution can be hard.

« Reply #31 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:52:12 pm »
Shower curtains are a hideous compromise though I'd have been happy to have Sheldon's from The Big Bang Theory.

When we installed the C21 bathroom at the Bear-o-Drome I went for separate bath and shower.  Both are of larger proportions and the shower cubicle is a monstrous walk in jobbie with glass screens.  No hinged or sliding screens or shower curtains for us!  Problem is though that wherever we go we realise that we have spoiled ourselves.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 17 June, 2022, 01:10:10 pm »
A clingy shower curtain literally broke my fall when I blacked out in the shower once.  The ceiling needed some work, but it was better than bashing my head on something hard.

« Reply #33 on: 17 June, 2022, 01:46:57 pm »
Blokes walking around showing the waistband of their underwear; or worse still, showing their butt crack. :sick:

ravenbait

• No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
« Reply #34 on: 17 June, 2022, 02:12:43 pm »
Shower curtains are a hideous compromise though I'd have been happy to have Sheldon's from The Big Bang Theory.

When we installed the C21 bathroom at the Bear-o-Drome I went for separate bath and shower.  Both are of larger proportions and the shower cubicle is a monstrous walk in jobbie with glass screens.  No hinged or sliding screens or shower curtains for us!  Problem is though that wherever we go we realise that we have spoiled ourselves.

When we moved in to Bait Cottage, there was a glass screen squeezed in to shield the dry part of the tiny bathroom from the above-bath shower. I had to climb inside the bath to clean the bath. After the whole glass unit detached from the wall and clobbered me quite badly one day, we removed it and fitted a shower curtain. It may be clingy and annoying, but at least it doesn't try to kill me.

There wouldn't be room in our tiny house for a spa.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #35 on: 18 June, 2022, 11:03:35 am »
Blokes walking around showing the waistband of their underwear; or worse still, showing their butt crack. :sick:
One chap at the local beer emporium was stocking a low shelf - so much crack that is was 'ring for service'!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #36 on: 18 June, 2022, 12:57:42 pm »
One chap at the local beer emporium was stocking a low shelf - so much crack that is was 'ring for service'!
Didn't the craze for showing off underwear waistband and butt crack start off in American Prisons,
where male inmates serving long-term sentences, thus starved of physical-interactions, made it
known to others that they were available for inter-cell activity?

« Reply #37 on: 18 June, 2022, 01:27:42 pm »
Didn't the craze for showing off underwear waistband and butt crack start off in American Prisons,
where male inmates serving long-term sentences, thus starved of physical-interactions, made it
I've heard similar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #38 on: 18 June, 2022, 03:02:39 pm »
A clingy shower curtain literally broke my fall when I blacked out in the shower once.  The ceiling needed some work, but it was better than bashing my head on something hard.

ISTR that the blokes who invented bubble wrap started off with two shower curtains.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #39 on: 18 June, 2022, 03:15:35 pm »

ISTR that the blokes who invented bubble wrap started off with two shower curtains.
It was something like that.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #40 on: 27 June, 2022, 08:47:09 pm »
Helly's OP cartoon is not visible for me.

But on shower curtains, I've just read The Ukimwi Road by Dervla Murphy, in which she loses her cape and is given a shower curtain as a replacement.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 27 June, 2022, 09:28:51 pm »

I thought it was imitating people who'd been freshly arrested, and were therefore wearing their usual trousers at half-mast due to confiscation of their belts.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #42 on: 28 June, 2022, 12:41:54 am »
That ^^^^ is also what I have been led to believe.  Means you're, like, a gangsta innit.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #43 on: 28 June, 2022, 05:22:49 pm »
Helly's OP cartoon is not visible for me.

It's disappeared for me too now.

'Twas a cartoon depicting a music joak but the key signature was incorrect, in a cringewotthy manner.

« Reply #44 on: 28 June, 2022, 05:58:20 pm »
This one, I think?

« Reply #45 on: 28 June, 2022, 06:04:22 pm »
As a bass player I'm not familiar with the treble clef.

As a tuba player I have to be extremely familiar with both treble *and* bass clefs depending on what variety of ensemble I am performing with!

As a viola player, I have to be familiar with both alto and treble, depending on the composer's level of masochism. Though having only learned alto as an adult, I'm still less fluent in it after >20 years of attemping to read it than I am in bass clef (which I never use, but learned as a child). :-\