Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 1755791 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16875 on: 13 May, 2022, 09:39:54 pm »
For some reason Mrs O decided to iron something on the bedroom floor. The iron fell over. The carpet is red, artificial fibre (gave up on wool carpets after feeding too many moths), resulting in a dark grey, iron-shaped patch.

My partner did the same to a fairly new (also red, also synthetic because the previous wool carpet had succumbed to the moths) carpet in our last place. We didn't have spare carpet, but CBA to get a new one and just lived with it for a few years.

I had a similar incident many years ago involving a beige carpet in a rental flat whilst attempting to fix a clarinet with a hairdryer. That resulted in a hefty deposit reduction... :facepalm:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16876 on: 13 May, 2022, 11:20:34 pm »
...fix a clarinet with a hairdryer...

A common turn of phrase in the Central Belt.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16877 on: 14 May, 2022, 12:37:50 am »
...fix a clarinet with a hairdryer...

A common turn of phrase in the Central Belt.
In Barnsley they speak of little else.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16878 on: 14 May, 2022, 07:50:11 am »
For some reason Mrs O decided to iron something on the bedroom floor. The iron fell over. The carpet is red, artificial fibre (gave up on wool carpets after feeding too many moths), resulting in a dark grey, iron-shaped patch.

My partner did the same to a fairly new (also red, also synthetic because the previous wool carpet had succumbed to the moths) carpet in our last place. We didn't have spare carpet, but CBA to get a new one and just lived with it for a few years.

I had a similar incident many years ago involving a beige carpet in a rental flat whilst attempting to fix a clarinet with a hairdryer. That resulted in a hefty deposit reduction... :facepalm:

We have a couple of rentals and the "ironing on the floor" issue is frequent - despite providing an ironing board (only) in a let unfurnished property.  Deposit retention only just about covers carpet replacement.

« Reply #16879 on: 15 May, 2022, 04:03:57 pm »
Two things:

1. Stripped and cleaned a NOS Shimano type D coaster hub which turned out to have a rusty LH ball race.  Must have been in storage for decades.  The balls and cages are toast but the races aren't too far gone and wlll run in to be smooth.

2. A s/h replacement boiler for the big steam engine (Mamod SE3) came this week, so I fitted valves and plugs to it and steamed it as a test.  It's all fine and, moreover, the regulator valve I desoldered yesterday doesn't leak.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #16880 on: 15 May, 2022, 04:25:38 pm »
Swapped the winter steely onto the smart trainer, having taken the fair weather soot bike off it. Renewed the cadence and speed sensor batteries on it and the not-so-fair weather Domane.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Patron saint of the dry joint
« Reply #16881 on: Today at 12:41:04 pm »
Found the origin of the eCow's chain-slip problems: middle chainring worn.   Fair enough: that chainset has about 33,000 km on it, mostly on the middle ring.  New one ordered, eCow laid up until it gets here.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight