Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2171021 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #16900 on: 22 May, 2022, 04:52:00 pm »
I once did an audit offshore where the chemist didn't control the ordering system and had a chemical cabinet stuffed of TTCE, it just kept turning up and he hadn't thought to tell the materials man.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16901 on: 22 May, 2022, 05:11:34 pm »
I wouldn't get you (or anyone) TCE even if I could. There's a reason why people keep trying to find alternatives, it's horrible stuff.

Used to be able to get it by the litre in the supermarket.  I had a colleague who nearly destroyed his kidneys using it in an unventilated shed, so I'm aware how dangerous it is. His face was left permanently bright red and blotchy.

I do anything involving solvents outside on the workshop windowsill.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16902 on: 22 May, 2022, 05:26:54 pm »
I was only going to wash the kitchen ceiling with sugar soap while I waited for Pingu to get out of bed. By the time he'd arisen the weather was meh so I spent the rest of the day giving the ceiling and remaining walls 2 coats of white paint.
I'm knackered now.

It's not perfect, but it'll do for now. Now I just have to order some sheet vinyl flooring and the new kitchen will be done. (Well, all the mankily painted doors need sanding and painting but that can wait).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16903 on: 23 May, 2022, 08:08:04 pm »
I fixed a non-running Hornby J50 tank engine.  Took 10 mins.  Sticking pickup plungers (like brass versions of watch strap spring bars), presumably because they no longer teach the Chinese serfs to solder.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

« Reply #16904 on: 26 May, 2022, 07:58:12 am »
Reassembled a Shimano D-type coaster hub.  I do like the bizarre simplicity of these, and the way they combine several functions into one hub.  I like the drag of the spring less, although it's never noticeable when riding.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16905 on: 28 May, 2022, 06:30:02 pm »
Fitted an Ayup bracket to the GPS mount and a Blackburn rear light to the rack on HK’s Trice. Temporarily removed the toast rack and dynolight from HK’s Trykit.

Replaced the wheels in an obsolete Delsey suitcase, which was trickier than it should have been.

Fitted some aerobars to my trike. Fixed a battery taillight and condemned two others.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16906 on: 28 May, 2022, 06:44:45 pm »
Rather embarrassing, as I usually keep things fairly well-maintained...
Stripped down the transmission on my bike for a deep clean, and found the middle 39t chainring looking like this:

Dead chainring by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

All the teeth are so worn as to be really sharp like shark's teeth, and about 6 of them were broken!
New one on order. Two, actually, as they are NoS and becoming rarer.

Me too. I have had a couple of unpleasant incidents recently where I have ended up stranded in the middle of the road because the chain has slipped as I've tried to cross (one of them I ended up falling off and having an attack of the screaming abjabs after lying on the deck in front of oncoming traffic, which was nice). Finally I remembered today to give the transmission a look over, and lo and behold the granny and middle rings have some shark fin shaped teeth.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #16907 on: 28 May, 2022, 08:32:49 pm »
Stripped down the transmission on my bike for a deep clean, and found the middle 39t chainring looking like this:

All the teeth are so worn as to be really sharp like shark's teeth, and about 6 of them were broken!

Me too. I have had a couple of unpleasant incidents recently where I have ended up stranded in the middle of the road because the chain has slipped as I've tried to cross (one of them I ended up falling off and having an attack of the screaming abjabs after lying on the deck in front of oncoming traffic, which was nice). Finally I remembered today to give the transmission a look over, and lo and behold the granny and middle rings have some shark fin shaped teeth.

How much ???  :o

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16908 on: 29 May, 2022, 07:40:20 am »

Seems to be the season for it. My new one (Shim 105 10v, bcd 130mm) cost 14 €.

« Reply #16909 on: 29 May, 2022, 11:01:02 am »
Got the Brompton ready for train assisted rides to orchestra, including molishing a cover for the front standlight out of a plastic lid and an old sock.
California Dreaming

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16910 on: 29 May, 2022, 04:02:07 pm »

Pff, mine were more like £35-40 a pop.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16911 on: 29 May, 2022, 06:14:28 pm »

Pff, mine were more like £35-40 a pop.

Brexit Bonus, innit.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16912 on: 29 May, 2022, 06:18:18 pm »
Plus TA Carmina prolly doesn't help either.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16913 on: 29 May, 2022, 09:19:33 pm »
Did the overdue annual strip-clean-and-regrease of the suspension fork on the Streetmachine, in the hope of getting to the bottom of a mystery clunk (intermittent, usually when climbing at low speed).  Nothing seems obviously loose, broken or corroded at least.

I've already replaced the tyre, which was - to use the technical term - knackered.  Didn't stop the clunk, did improve high-speed cornering.

Next to come under suspicion is the headset (1" Cane Creek S2), for which I expect replacement bearings to be unobtanium.  Feels fine, though.  As do the hub bearings.

TBH, I'd prefer a mystery squeak.  On a Streetmachine that's nearly always the seat mountings.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #16914 on: 29 May, 2022, 09:28:18 pm »

Mine cost £22 each, and I bought the last 2 SJS had in stock.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16915 on: 29 May, 2022, 09:56:36 pm »
Did the overdue annual strip-clean-and-regrease of the suspension fork on the Streetmachine, in the hope of getting to the bottom of a mystery clunk (intermittent, usually when climbing at low speed).  Nothing seems obviously loose, broken or corroded at least.

I've already replaced the tyre, which was - to use the technical term - knackered.  Didn't stop the clunk, did improve high-speed cornering.

Next to come under suspicion is the headset (1" Cane Creek S2), for which I expect replacement bearings to be unobtanium.  Feels fine, though.  As do the hub bearings.

TBH, I'd prefer a mystery squeak.  On a Streetmachine that's nearly always the seat mountings.
Chain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16916 on: 30 May, 2022, 12:34:19 am »
Reasonably sure I'm feeling it up through the handlebars/seat rather than back through the pedals, and it seems related to steering wobble, but I'll be giving the chain a thorough clean soon anyway.  Maybe it's picked up a random magnet again...

rogerzilla

« Reply #16917 on: 30 May, 2022, 02:21:39 pm »
I need to file a stainless M8 halfnut so it is 11mm across flats, to fit into the hex recess in an unthreaded alloy stem wedge.  The maths is easy: 1mm off each face.  Not the most thrilling of jobs, though.

« Reply #16918 on: 30 May, 2022, 02:24:20 pm »
Erected a "Ring" security (peace-of-mind) camera in my shed.

Stabilized the wobbly toilet seat.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16919 on: 30 May, 2022, 03:45:03 pm »
Removed & cleaned chainset on Domane, de-gunked the chain & put it into wax bath.  FD very stiff: cable runs freely so I've soused all the pivots in oil to see what happens.

Currently screwing up courage to clean the rest of the bike.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16920 on: 30 May, 2022, 04:31:48 pm »
Reasonably sure I'm feeling it up through the handlebars/seat rather than back through the pedals, and it seems related to steering wobble, but I'll be giving the chain a thorough clean soon anyway.  Maybe it's picked up a random magnet again...

Chain cleaned and inspected.  No sign of stray magnets, stiff links, b0rked wossnames or similar.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16921 on: 30 May, 2022, 05:24:34 pm »
I couldn't find anything wrong with my chain either, but when I replaced it in desperation (I'd tried pretty much everything else) it magically resolved.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16922 on: 30 May, 2022, 05:50:23 pm »
This chain's pretty new (as is the granny ring, because the previous one was cursed), so I hope it's not that.  It felt like the play you get from the suspension travel when you rock the bike against the front brake in an attempt to determine if the headset's loose.

Will find out whenever it's not pish.  I didn't service the fork just for it to get rained on.

I suppose the rear shock deserves some scrutiny.  That's another unobtanium part, of course.

rogerzilla

« Reply #16923 on: 31 May, 2022, 01:24:04 pm »
Erected a "Ring" security (peace-of-mind) camera in my shed.

Stabilized the wobbly toilet seat.
A wobbly toilet seat can mean you have to go into the shed and fiddle with your Ring.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16924 on: 31 May, 2022, 04:10:12 pm »
adjusted the magnets on the turbo trainer, they were slightly skew and rubbing when going "uphill".

Also put the new Brooks Cambium on the TT bike to see how it felt/wear my arse in.  Seemed quite comfy on an hour's turbo today. Otherwise a fair bunch of fettling in the shed (tidy and sweep out) and garden - lawns, planting, successional sewings
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens