Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134388 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #25 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:21:27 pm »
I dug up a lot of plants, spread a lot of compost, dug a lot of holes for some new plants.

Also swapped the summer wheels for the winter ones (heavier duty with dynamo hub) on the Orbit Photon commuter, washed it down, took off the solidlights,  rotated a chain and lubed it.

« Reply #26 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:59:10 pm »
Replaced the Stronglight chainset & bb on my bodged-up turbo-slash-TT bike with a bargain square taper Campag Centaur I got off ebay last season.

Then had to have a test ride  ;D :thumbsup:

Neil

bobmick

« Reply #27 on: 05 May, 2008, 07:08:36 pm »
Gave the tourer/commuter a deserved clean and isolated the source of a very annoying ticking noise that occured at the same point of every crank rev.  Believe it or not it was a piece of fine thread that had wound its way around the pedal at the point where it spins!!

Lonewolff

« Reply #28 on: 05 May, 2008, 07:19:30 pm »
Cleaned the commuting bike and discovered a worrying amount of play in the bottom bracket - that will require some investigation tomorrow, but explains the odd noises when going up hill out of the saddle.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #29 on: 05 May, 2008, 07:24:34 pm »
Put on new tyres and computer, and repaired every punctured tube (had a lot of visits last week).

bobajobrob

« Reply #30 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:06:15 pm »
Still tiling...

Thankfully the only job I have left is to clean up the mess :thumbsup: It's only taken me three days.

« Reply #31 on: 25 May, 2008, 06:24:00 pm »
- replaced front STI brake cable, in order to correct the change in cable length required after a previous change in lever position and stem. Change also permits fitting Dinotte under bars.
- new bar tape, required by above.
- changed shift cables so that they cross under the down tube - I've been meaning to do this for ages.
- redo indexing, required after above.
- thoroughly cleaned and polished bike.

Most satisfying.

However, what I really should have been doing was st*dying.  ::-)

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #32 on: 25 May, 2008, 06:28:49 pm »
I spent too much time trying to fettle a Carlsberg pump and a Fosters pump to set up and outside bar for the airshow only to be scuppered as we appeared not to have the right regulator valve and head for the gas.
You can't pump lager with CO2/Nitrogen mix.  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #33 on: 25 May, 2008, 06:39:43 pm »
I noticed on yesterdays ride that a little bit of play had developed in the bottom bracket. So I've just tightened it up and had a little ride to check it. Its all smoooth and luuurvly now.  :)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #34 on: 25 May, 2008, 07:19:40 pm »
Tried and failed to get the brakes working on my wife's bike working :(  They 'feel' right but the new blocks just don't rip the rims. Probably alright 'cos I doubt she'll go that fast :D*

actually I'll push some business towards the LBS

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #35 on: 26 May, 2008, 01:11:49 am »
Ahhhh,,,, I was looking for this Thread.

Saturday, the Dyson died :(  Only 7 years old and I'd been rating them on here (or there), and it looks like 7 years of DIY has killed it.

One Torx driver and an hour later I'd stripped it right down, sorted it out, and it's back as it was when brand new ;D

On Sunday I got fed up with the Bonsai trees always being dried out, so with the aid of an empty Dulux can, small hoses and plant drippers made an automatic water.   Mrs Nutty isn't too keen on the can wired to teh decking balustrades, but I'm sure it'll grow on her ;D

Contact dyson for a flate rate of £45 they rebuild it and guarantee it for a year,

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #36 on: 26 May, 2008, 01:18:14 am »
Well i replaced the bottom bracket, crank, rear cassette but could get no further as the rear derailleur jockey wheels were the wrong ones.  So no off roading for me today.

May play with the Iseran and clean the bike clean the rear cassette and the chain,  Replace the jockey wheels and give it all a good clean.

I repaired my mates bikes that was damaged so now thats back for sale.

Played with a CB500 I'm rebuilding.  Really should get that finished and sold.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #37 on: 26 May, 2008, 09:29:42 pm »
The Telecaster is complete!

I soldered the electrics this afternoon (slightly complex, with two humbucking pickups providing oodles of wires) and it not only works, it sounds superb.  It's much fatter-sounding than my Strat, but the tone is clearer than a Les Paul.  The sustain is longer than on any guitar I've heard, and I've had (or at least borrowed) a proper Gibson LP Custom.  The tone control actually does something, unlike most guitars, and the range of sounds with the 3-way switch and the tone control is very wide.

Pics and maybe a sound clip when I get round to it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #38 on: 26 May, 2008, 10:15:05 pm »
Halfway through an Improved Pennyfarthing Saddle Clamp with a nice wrought-iron curl.  Need more bolts.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #39 on: 26 May, 2008, 11:17:42 pm »
Replaced the frame on my winter commuter today... (and a few other bits too....) ::-)

rae

« Reply #40 on: 26 May, 2008, 11:52:59 pm »
Very productive day - rain makes you stay inside and do proper stuff.

Beadblasted a vast number of tractor and chainsaw parts.  They're all matt now, and waiting for etch primer.  You can't spray in humid conditions, so no painting today.  I tested the force fed air mask for spraying the two pack top coat - nasty stuff.  Everything works, I now just need a warm day.

Did my tax return, my mum's tax return and Mrs rae's tax return.   Feeling pretty smug.

Fixed my big old A3 printer - it was whinging that the ink cartridges had expired.   Ripping out the memory battery had it running perfectly for the first time in a year.

« Reply #41 on: 27 May, 2008, 07:35:33 am »
Did a complete frame transplant on the TT bike based on a s/h frame I bought. It's now an ally Giant TCR Aero (circa 2005 model).

I was particularly pleased I managed to re-use all the old cables since my new integrated aerobars haven't turned up from the states yet and I didn't want to use the new cables I bought for them.

Neil

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #42 on: 27 May, 2008, 08:10:31 am »
Saturday - cut grass and trimmed front hedges including neighbour's side, before the rains!
After the rains I painted a wall in the downstairs bathroom, sealed the office/studio floor, filled cracks in the extension. The nearest I got to the bike was when I moved it to get the mower out the garage.

Sunday - more painting to bathroom and extension.

Monday - tiling and grouting in upstairs bathroom.

It rained a lot!
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

bikenerd

« Reply #43 on: 27 May, 2008, 09:31:36 am »
Saturday: completely stripped down the Moulton, except for the brass pivot bushing, the bottom bracket and squash ball at the back which is seized tighter than a badger's armpit.  Strip the head on the allen bolt holding the squash ball :(
Sunday: realised I do have the right tool to remove the Moulton's bottom bracket and removed it with extreme prejudice:  I had to use the camping mallet  :thumbsup:.  Fix the p*ncture on the Hill Special.  Fitted a saddle to the mountain bike so I can actually ride it when the weather improves.

I also finished my computer program to convert .GPX files into formats suitable to download to my Garmin Edge.  Does that count? :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #44 on: 27 May, 2008, 10:07:34 pm »
Pennyfarthing saddle clamp ready for a test ride:

It gets prettified once I'm happy it works.  Now to sort out that wobbly crank...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #45 on: 27 May, 2008, 10:13:09 pm »
Get that pile of scrap metal out the way, I want that book off the bottom shelf.   :demon:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #46 on: 27 May, 2008, 10:14:44 pm »
Pennyfarthing saddle clamp ready for a test ride:

It gets prettified once I'm happy it works.  Now to sort out that wobbly crank...
Will you be referring to the "Encyclopaedia of Unusual Sex" to help with the wobbliness of your crank?  ;) ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

steveB

« Reply #47 on: 27 May, 2008, 10:35:41 pm »
I spent too much time trying to fettle a Carlsberg pump and a Fosters pump to set up and outside bar for the airshow only to be scuppered as we appeared not to have the right regulator valve and head for the gas.
You can't pump lager with CO2/Nitrogen mix.  :-\

Actually you can.  60/40 CO2-N for lager and cider.  30/70 CO2-N for ales and stout. Both set at 35psi, cider works better on 100% CO2 set at 25-28psi.  The lagers and ciders need about 6-8ft of 3/16 restrictor line and open all flow controls to the max.

I guess it's too late for this info now, but it should come in handy if there's a next time.

« Reply #48 on: 28 May, 2008, 04:26:27 pm »
Get that pile of scrap metal out the way, I want that book off the bottom shelf.   :demon:

Yeah, it's been ages since I last reread Speaker for the Dead

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #49 on: 28 May, 2008, 06:52:18 pm »
Here's the gee-tar:

Greenburst Tele now complete - Telecaster Guitar Forum

Now I'm off to make some noise with it  :demon:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.