Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 255339 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #1025 on: 10 October, 2021, 08:17:40 pm »
Will check out on the day it may require a diversion via Barcombe a la AAA Milne

Was he into hilly audaxes then?
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #1026 on: 10 October, 2021, 09:26:24 pm »
To be fair, the Puncheur sportive is a pretty good one as far as they go, fairly grass-roots and non-commercial using local businesses for the feed station.

Even so, once you've started audaxing there's not much reason to do a sportive!

See you on Saturday  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1027 on: 29 October, 2021, 03:12:18 pm »
I'm a complete newcomer to Audax so please be gentle if this has been asked a million times.

Why are Oxfordshire and Berkshire not included in the list of qualifying counties when they're in the south and neither of them is any further north than Bucks or west of Hampshire?

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #1028 on: 29 December, 2021, 08:58:45 am »
I'm a complete newcomer to Audax so please be gentle if this has been asked a million times.

Why are Oxfordshire and Berkshire not included in the list of qualifying counties when they're in the south and neither of them is any further north than Bucks or west of Hampshire?

Long story but it came down to the eligible counties where the original rides started from, at the time there were no eligible events in Berks or Oxfordshire. Hampshire and the IoW which did have events were added to the list to fill the void after several events in the original counties stopped running.

2022 looking a bit thin too for 100 /200s but there are always perms  :thumbsup:

GdS

« Reply #1029 on: 05 January, 2022, 06:52:21 pm »
New event added

Fast Times* in the High Weald 200 3.25 AAA 7th May

https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9627

*so not for me  :-[

GdS

« Reply #1030 on: 18 April, 2022, 08:47:38 pm »
next up the IOW Randonnee which now counts (once a year) without having to enter as a DIY

https://cycleisland.co.uk/

and the 3rd running of AAA Milne as a calendar event almost the same route as the perm with hot dogs  :P (also vegan) at the Pooh car park, entries coming in nicely  :) also very ECEable

https://www.audax.uk/event-details?eventId=9726

GdS

« Reply #1031 on: 22 April, 2022, 06:43:25 pm »
Dauntsey Dawdle 400 added; it was last year but didn't get migrated over to the new Google site

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

Plus LEL 11 AAA  :o

(sorry Anton can't work out how to make SMC blue  :-[)

GdS

« Reply #1032 on: 02 May, 2022, 11:57:59 am »
I did the IoW Randonnee 100km yesterday which is now a once a year only qualifying ride* due to having lost a few other 100s from the series.

It's now online app entry only and sold out a few weeks ago which is a new post Covid thing, do not turn up expecting to register on the day. Despite light rain all day it was enjoyable with long lines of riders snaking up the big climbs on the South coast

* the permanent round the island route also qualifies in either direction but you must use the road section between Yarmouth and Freshwater to maintain the minimum climbing.

« Reply #1033 on: 22 May, 2022, 01:44:14 pm »
Sussex Midsummer Corker

With the increased overheads and low take up, I’ve decided to no longer run this event after this year (2022).

Anton

GdS

« Reply #1034 on: 03 April, 2023, 06:39:11 pm »
The Meridian Hills 200 perm is no longer being supported by me  :( it may become available under a different org.
It's a cracking route but very hard; you are welcome to use it as a DIY should be a solid 3.25-3.5AAA

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33989392

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1035 on: 03 April, 2023, 11:41:05 pm »
The Meridian Hills 200 perm is no longer being supported by me  :( it may become available under a different org.
It's a cracking route but very hard; you are welcome to use it as a DIY should be a solid 3.25-3.5AAA

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33989392

seconded, this is a lovely route but definitely challenging, 2 hours longer than a typical 200km for me.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

GdS

« Reply #1036 on: 20 April, 2023, 05:57:29 pm »
The Invicta Grimpeur seems to have vanished from the calendar it's normally in March

next up Fast Times in the High Weald, I am not worthy  :-[ then The Reliable calendar version on the 20th, a new one Lightning Phil's Gospel Pass 600 on June 3 and the Sussex Midsummer Corker on the 17th

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1037 on: 21 April, 2023, 10:49:59 am »
London Lands end London also qualifies?

which would leave me with 3 so far for the year, (Chiltern pub crawl, Gospel pass and LLeL)

Looks like I'll be planning some AAA DIYs

Eddington  127miles, 170km

GdS

« Reply #1038 on: 21 April, 2023, 06:02:27 pm »
London Lands end London also qualifies?

yes it does  :thumbsup: at this rate there will be more events where the hills are outside the South East inclusion zone than inside

« Reply #1039 on: 21 April, 2023, 06:20:09 pm »
Gospel Pass 600 will also become a perm, once I’ve run the first edition calendar event.  Likely E-Brevet (or GPS) validation only for the perm.

GdS

« Reply #1040 on: 19 June, 2023, 07:13:50 pm »
The pub in Barcombe on AAA Milne has closed down  :( there is an alternative shop but I hope the pub reopens for the next calendar event finish control

GdS

« Reply #1041 on: 10 October, 2023, 04:51:36 pm »
Nudging 60 entries for the Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier. The Hillier is much the nicer route with a chance to see where you have been all day from Ditchling Beacon. The best vegan hot dogs I could find by a long chalk (Moving Mountains  :P) and I've tried several.

I'm informed they have relaxed parking charges due to a model railway show on the day but will believe that when I see it; stick to the free 10 hour spaces in Civic Approach

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1042 on: 14 October, 2023, 08:49:10 am »
Starting to seriously plan (its been an idea for many years) a hilly AUK event from Basingstoke that will venture through the Hindhead area to the South Downs (Bury, Bignor, and Butser) and some lesser-known territory on the way back.  Aim for first running October 24 or March 25.  I think it will just qualify for AAA points.   Although I have been organising perms for more than 15 years I will need a mentor - would anyone be able to help - PM if you can.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

GdS

« Reply #1043 on: 15 October, 2023, 06:51:40 pm »
D2DR (Down to Downs the 1st GdS perm, but reversed) will run May 2024

« Reply #1044 on: 16 October, 2023, 12:15:29 pm »

Sounds interesting. I only have the second weekend free in May, and need a GdS ride for my GdSRtY. Fingers crossed thats the chosen date!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

GdS

« Reply #1045 on: 18 October, 2023, 07:28:09 pm »

Sounds interesting. I only have the second weekend free in May, and need a GdS ride for my GdSRtY. Fingers crossed thats the chosen date!

I put it for the 18th as am in Ireland the week before sorry  :( you can always EPE the perm version (and reverse)

« Reply #1046 on: 21 October, 2023, 10:15:40 pm »
Enjoyed the Mid Sussex Hillier 100k today. I could happily have gone back to bed when I saw the dire forecast of hours of heavy rain when I checked at 6 AM. Glad I persevered though, the weather turned out surprisingly OK in the end - patchy drizzle during the morning, mitigated a lot by much of the route being in narrow tree covered lanes that were quite well sheltered. In the afternoon it got drier (apart from the odd short heavy shower), and there were even some sunny spells. I was worried there might be some flooded sections, but apart from the odd big puddle it was all fine.

All the old favourites on the route - the short and sharp ascent of Cob Lane, the long steady climb of Twyford Lane, the cracking views from Ditchling Beacon (and a rainbow). The veggie hot dog in a bun with copious fried onions & ketchup at the Staplefield control was highly appreciated!

GdS

« Reply #1047 on: 21 October, 2023, 10:49:01 pm »
Thanks Pete; having enjoyed 8 years of perfect  8) weather in its first 8 years the MSH/er has settled into a predictable weather pattern. The terrain keeps the rain clouds moving and there is usually some sun. Several riders reported rainbows from Ditchling Beacon.

So glad I found Cafe GdS (also doubles as an Audax hotel!)  in Staplefield will use it next year  :thumbsup:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1048 on: 07 January, 2024, 08:35:20 pm »
Starting to seriously plan (its been an idea for many years) a hilly AUK event from Basingstoke that will venture through the Hindhead area to the South Downs (Bury, Bignor, and Butser) and some lesser-known territory on the way back.  Aim for first running October 24 or March 25.  I think it will just qualify for AAA points.   Although I have been organising perms for more than 15 years I will need a mentor - would anyone be able to help - PM if you can.

The Humbug Audax is now in the calendar - 16 Nov - 2.75AAA.  It keeps to Hampshire, West Sussex and a tiny bit of Surrey, so truly a Grimpeur du Sud and features Bignor and Butser Hills as well as some places the locals probably don't know exist.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

GdS

« Reply #1049 on: 07 January, 2024, 09:50:07 pm »
Thanks CET  :thumbsup:

another returning classic is Around Weald Expedition 200km on 11 May

also

The Shark 200 24 March
Fast Times in the High Weald 200 4 May
D2DR (Down to Downs reversed) 100 18 May