Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 851291 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5925 on: 11 November, 2021, 07:47:27 pm »

Garmin Edge 1030 Plus (to replace the faulty Edge Touring Plus, and it's replacement, an 830,
which I found too small, and returned for a refund).

Cost me £363.98 (after the 30% discount Garmin offered me).
https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/p/704417

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5926 on: 13 November, 2021, 04:10:31 pm »
A new front light for the Pino. The Very Old halogen lamp powered one is disappointingly, almost dangerously, dim, so I've got me some B&M led lumens, the same one mentioned in the thread started by The Family Cyclist. Some jibbling and a small amount of soldering will be needed, as the (rim) dynamo is on the back wheel.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5927 on: 29 November, 2021, 02:19:59 pm »
Derailleur RD-6800-gs + hanger, headset spacers for another bike. And I wish I hadn't had to.  :'(

Derailleur is 2nd hand unused, and I hope the fellow I bought it from is honest and actually sends it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5928 on: 29 November, 2021, 11:27:53 pm »
I had a mtb chainset on my croix de fer, but I dont like the wide Q factor.  (I had to use spacers to get it to fit). So I ordered a small chainset from Spa with a regular 110mm sq taper b/b which should be a lot narrower, and also gone down from 175mm to 170 to give my knees a little bit less of a workout.

« Reply #5929 on: 30 November, 2021, 07:24:06 am »
A Dura Ace 7800 rear hub (to help with a wheel build).

[Edit: Due to its 'stepped' splines, the hub could not accept the Ultegra 12-27 cassette
I wanted to use, so I sold it back to the seller and bought a 105 5800 rear hub instead].

« Reply #5930 on: 03 December, 2021, 11:21:27 am »
A sora triple crank, triple shifters and triple front derailleur for the second bike.

I know triples are heavy - but they completely suit my riding and speed.

If I can get another set at a good price, I'll downgrade the Elan to Sora too: Then both bikes can share parts.

« Reply #5931 on: 11 December, 2021, 10:20:40 am »
Pair of virtually new speedplay pedals.

Why do I need those you ask?

Why for my new Project One trek Domane which arrived yesterday 😀😀😀

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5932 on: 12 December, 2021, 05:31:56 pm »
A 57cm SON Koaxial cable.  It is just the right length to connect the headlight to the taillight on the TSR (I have the tailight on the seat tube at the same height as the headlight).  I will need to crimp female spade connectors to one end (it's a pre-made cable for connecting a headlight to a bare-wire dynamo hub) but it saves faffing about with the braided wire.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5933 on: 05 February, 2022, 09:00:13 pm »

A Raleigh stride 2 cargo bike, for my wife (and let's be honest me), bought for baby shuttling duties.

We'll I've put the order in and the shop is waiting for the baby seat to arrive mid-week time before I can pick it up.

Must be testament to how certain they can sell it if I don't collect on the basis of they didn't want a deposit, just pay the full whack on collection.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #5934 on: 06 February, 2022, 07:53:25 pm »
Picked up a Sealskinz 'head gaitor' hood to try.   Have a decent waterproof jacket - without a hood, so hopefully this will be good in longer periods of cooler wet weather, sitting over the collar of the jacket

https://www.sealskinz.com/products/waterproof-all-weather-head-gaitor

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5935 on: 03 March, 2022, 04:10:31 pm »
For better or worse, just blew 1000€ on a motorisation kit for my old Ti warhorse.  It feels criminal to do that to the beautiful bike I used for the best of my long-distance career, but lately I've been taking too long to recover from what would have recovery rides 5 years ago.

Getting old is a bitch, and an expensive bitch at that.

« Reply #5936 on: 08 March, 2022, 10:07:05 pm »
A longer stem for my trek domane.  After thoroughly re-doing my position on my winter / commuter and finding it comfortable, my domane feels cramped in reach.  Its a 100mm at the moment and I've gone for a 120mm.  Look fwd to this weekend to find out if its too big a jump.  ;D

« Reply #5937 on: 08 March, 2022, 10:15:33 pm »
2 DYnasnap magnetic connectors for SJS for the dynamo on the good bike.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5938 on: 15 March, 2022, 11:04:04 am »
Some engineer's blue to test fit a Dura-Ace 7400 BB with an Andel crank.  They're both JIS but DA is rumoured to be a slightly shorter variant.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5939 on: 15 March, 2022, 01:41:58 pm »
Drop bars and tape to replace the "splayed cyclocross style bars" on a recent acquisition - ordered from Wiggle at about 1500 on Sunday - delivered (free) at 1930 Monday - totally unnecessary haste (and the Haribo packets seem to be shrinking)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5940 on: 15 March, 2022, 08:48:21 pm »
A deposit (not a pre-order) on a Faran 2.0 frameset and wheels delivered May/June.

Will build it up from bits I have in my shed, plus some off the shelf. Intent is to have it ready for a summer holiday tour of some kind.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5941 on: 05 April, 2022, 10:58:44 am »
HB tape & a bunch of summer socks.  Most of my existing ones have holey toes. No harm to them, some are old enough to vote.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5942 on: 05 April, 2022, 06:11:58 pm »
HB tape & a bunch of summer socks.  Most of my existing ones have holey toes. No harm to them, some are old enough to vote.

With their feet?

« Reply #5943 on: 05 April, 2022, 06:30:41 pm »
20" x 1.35" marathon plus front tyre,  26x1.35" marathon plus rear tyre and a set of 24x1.75" marathons for the son's bike. Add in the 16" marathons bought for my Brompton a couple of months ago but not used its been am expensive time for tyres. The 16" are being repurchased for the new dog trailer as the ones that came with it had nylon on the tyre which looked cheap and nasty.  We're touring over Easter and don't want punctures!

Plus van towbar,  4 bike carrier,  van awning, etc!  Why does every family holiday cost so much in new kit? That's with me being reserved and resisting a lot of additional purchases I need for the trip!

« Reply #5944 on: 05 April, 2022, 07:39:05 pm »
A Brooks B17 saddle. First one I've ever bought. Looks very wide.
It's replacing a 15 year old Fizic Arionne that's worn out. Just fitted it, will test ride it tomorrow.
Very different to any other saddle I've had.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5945 on: 07 April, 2022, 10:34:25 am »

With their feet?

Nailed it.

« Reply #5946 on: 01 May, 2022, 04:40:16 pm »
A Beto EZ-055A mini-pump. Good solid aluminium construction, easy to use presta/schraeder head on a short hose and secure bottle cage bracket. 

And an eBay special additional bracket for the other bike.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #5947 on: 01 May, 2022, 08:56:05 pm »
A couple of plastic Shimano widgets from SJS required for the servicing of SPD pedals. Now to find where I have put my 7 and 11mm open ended spanners.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5948 on: 11 May, 2022, 10:09:28 pm »
A new 25mm seatpost, ready for when I manage to remove the currently seized seat-post in my commuting bike.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5949 on: 13 May, 2022, 10:17:47 am »
One thing leads to another... bought some new shoes, and was going to do some cleat swappage, but when I reviewed the cleats on my old shoes, they were worn to stubs.

Three sets of Time Atac cleats also on order.