Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 865199 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5950 on: 13 May, 2022, 10:22:35 am »
I'm trying to buy some GP5000s in the 32mm flavour but so far I haven't found any in stock.

Which is a bit annoying.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5951 on: 15 May, 2022, 07:33:22 am »
The last few bits for my new build, bottle cages, pump, tubeless sealant and repair kit.

The shedde is now stacked with boxes of bits waiting for something to be attached to. [Impatiently taps fingers]
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5952 on: 15 May, 2022, 07:38:31 pm »
I'm trying to buy some GP5000s in the 32mm flavour but so far I haven't found any in stock.

Which is a bit annoying.
I think I bought the last 2 in the country!

« Reply #5953 on: 16 May, 2022, 05:57:51 pm »
Recently.  Topeak DP mount.  Not for use with dropper post, but see... https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=123016.msg2722606;topicseen#msg2722606

PXL_DPm by a oxon, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5954 on: 21 May, 2022, 01:43:20 pm »
I have ordered a Thomson Elite 26.0 seatpost for the latest skunkworks project*  I imagine it will never appear and the shop will refund me.

*an attempt to build a 20lb Moulton F-frame.  Obviously, the job starts with a hacksaw.  Coaster brake, because it's way lighter than a S/S hub + freewheel + brake caliper + brake lever + cabling.  20 spoke wheels.  Carbon bars.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5955 on: 30 May, 2022, 02:19:57 pm »
Bought a pair of Triban 'Road' SPD shoes in a sale at Decathlon, in a hope they're not going to give me 'hotfoot'.  Soles appear to be very stiff, and no cleat access under insole, which is good.

We'll see.                     Update.  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=123174.msg2726767#msg2726767

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #5956 on: 03 June, 2022, 06:34:33 pm »
Some Zefal Gizmo bottle cage mounts, to allow me to mount a couple of bottles to my motorbike's crash bars ready for next week's tour.

And, something I see as a bit of an achievement, a track pump, a small pump, a multitool, some allen keys, a couple of tubes and some brake pads for youngest offspring, who has never shown any interest in bike maintenance before - but as he's living away from home now doing his Masters degree, and the bike is his only means of transport, he's decided it would be a good idea to learn how to keep it running.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5957 on: 07 June, 2022, 12:55:37 pm »
This here:

https://www.bikester.fr/red-cycling-products-front-loader-l-sacoche-de-guidon-M321144.html?vgid=G359324&cgid=37034

Decent front & side pockets and a central boxy one.  Would be nicer if the boxy bit was lined with loopy Velcro but I might manage to finagle something - I've got a couple of unused camera bags.  The map case is a bit horrid but I rarely use one these days.  The HB mount is big, heavy and weird but it fits a standard Klickfix so I'll get a couple of those.

Not bad for 21.99 €. 
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

« Reply #5958 on: 07 June, 2022, 07:13:20 pm »
I have a bag that looks very much like that, would be the perfect size for a bar bag, only it not deigned to attach that way and a trial has suggested that it would be very floppy/flappy.  Do you know if it's possible to but the klickfix system as a stand-alone to attach to a bag - I'd have no problem piercing the fabric, the bag is fairly cheap and owes me nothing

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5959 on: 07 June, 2022, 07:25:16 pm »
I have a bag that looks very much like that, would be the perfect size for a bar bag, only it not deigned to attach that way and a trial has suggested that it would be very floppy/flappy.  Do you know if it's possible to but the klickfix system as a stand-alone to attach to a bag - I'd have no problem piercing the fabric, the bag is fairly cheap and owes me nothing

Pretty sure SJSC sell the KlikFix components as spares/replacements

ElyDave

« Reply #5961 on: 07 June, 2022, 08:01:45 pm »
came across that one myself, looks the job.  Though looking at some of the fabric bikepacking efforts, velcro, elastic cords and straps might also do the job.  Might have a think and look in my odds and sods boxes first

robgul

« Reply #5962 on: 07 June, 2022, 09:16:17 pm »
came across that one myself, looks the job.  Though looking at some of the fabric bikepacking efforts, velcro, elastic cords and straps might also do the job.  Might have a think and look in my odds and sods boxes first

You could also buy a cheap basket from Halfords and throw away the basket part - the last one I saw had a usable plate/clamp to cobble a handlebar bag

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5963 on: 09 June, 2022, 12:53:16 pm »
I just ordered a handbag organizer to go in the HB bag.  Cost almost as much as the bag.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5964 on: 09 June, 2022, 08:51:46 pm »
A pair of Vittoria Zaffiro tyres. £9 each from Merlin.
Hopefully a bit faster/comfier/more reliable than the cheapy old CST tyres that were on my road bike. Ready for a duathlon next week.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5965 on: 09 June, 2022, 09:03:04 pm »
It's one of those knock-on things...

So I drowned my old Garmin Edge 800 (which I may yet fix), but bought a new 830 for an upcoming 1200k.
This supports the newish Garmin hotshoe-type external battery pack, so I thought I'd go down that route rather than usb-charging on the go.

This requires a special Garmin 1/4 turn mount to connect them together; the GPS on top, and the battery pack below.
I'm running aero-bars, so the out-front mount that comes with the devices is no good.
I need to buy the aero-bar version of this. Fine.
Only it turns out the aero bars I have are the Wrong Thickness for this mount; they are too fat.

So today's purchase was a set of Zipp Vuka bars to replace them with!
All installed and working now!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #5966 on: 09 June, 2022, 10:05:11 pm »
Better not swallow any flies, then.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5967 on: 09 June, 2022, 10:42:39 pm »
Better not swallow any flies, then.

I'm keeping a careful eye on the horses.

ElyDave

« Reply #5968 on: 11 June, 2022, 12:34:28 pm »

well, after all that faffing and fiddling, i managed to fit it to the bars in an acceptable manner using a few velcro and webbing straps I found lurking in spares boxes.  Only problem was, the top zip opening is too small for the route book for the KAW, and if I wiggle it through, the bag is not deep enough.

It would be a great bag and both my audax sentiments and parsimony congratulate me, but it just doesn't quite work.  Back to the drawing board I guess.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5969 on: 13 June, 2022, 10:29:13 am »
A pair of Kinlin 20h 16" (349) rims turned up from AliExpress.  That worked surprisingly well.  They are unobtanium here.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5970 on: 13 June, 2022, 02:03:32 pm »

robgul

« Reply #5971 on: 13 June, 2022, 07:10:02 pm »
Four KMC X9 chains.
https://www.millets.co.uk/15908941/kmc-chains-x9-bike-chain-15908941

That's not a bad price - but there do seem to be quite a few 8/9/10 KMX X chains around on ebay at very good prices, with post included - I bought a couple of 8 speed 2 weeks ago for £6.99 each!!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5973 on: 13 June, 2022, 09:12:33 pm »
Ebay is not the place to buy chains or bearings

robgul

« Reply #5974 on: 14 June, 2022, 07:28:02 am »
Ebay is not the place to buy chains or bearings

In principle I would agree but the chains I bought were from one the reputable online cycling stores that also has an "ebay shop" - perhaps they got a "spot purchase deal"*  ... and a look at the 3 chains I still have does suggest from both the link chamfer and packaging appear genuine.

* when I managed an LBS I'd sometimes get job-lot/end of line offers from pretty major suppliers (even Madison) for quantities of stuff at prices that were very competitive - usually things like inner tubes, brake blocks, cables and sometimes chains and even groupsets.