Author Topic: eBay rant  (Read 13868 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: eBay rant
« Reply #100 on: 02 April, 2022, 02:43:52 pm »
But on eBay, the serious buyers only bid in the last 10 seconds. eBay is basically a one-week advertising service with an blink-and-you'll-miss-it sealed bid auction at the end.

Yes - and I'm an Auction Sniper afficionado - but my comment is still valid in terms of bids vs the reserve for those that do bid during the whole auction window.

« Reply #101 on: 25 April, 2022, 10:00:31 am »
I ordered a 2nd hand book via Ebay.  2 weeks after the promised delivery date it hadn't turned up.  Checking their feedback they are actually based in the US, and there are lots of complaints from UK customers.    I asked Ebay for a refund, which was credited to my account 2 weeks ago. 

The book has just arrived....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #102 on: 25 April, 2022, 09:39:42 pm »
Serves them right for being dishonest about their location. I'd just keep quiet about it and see if they moan. If they don't moan, then donate to charity instead.

« Reply #103 on: 10 May, 2022, 05:34:25 pm »
Re reserve price vs high starting price

It used to be that a high starting price had a higher seller's fee compared with a low starting price. But that was scapped years ago.

A reserve price has the same advantage as a low starting price, the low price attract views of your auction. But if the item is uncommon and valuable (to a limited number of people), you're protected against selling at a low price if not many potential buyers are looking at your auction.

« Reply #104 on: 10 May, 2022, 05:59:19 pm »
But there are extra fees to set a reserve price, even if it doesn't sell.

Yes, a low price attracts more views, but does it attract more bidders?
If I see something with a reserve, I'm less likely to bother bidding on it. Seems more worthwhile just bidding on a higher priced item, where I know it will sell.

« Reply #105 on: 11 May, 2022, 07:25:58 am »
People just probe to find out what the reserve is, then retract their last bid.  There are no sanctions for retracting bids, whatever eBay pretends.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.