Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2963702 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #23600 on: 25 April, 2022, 09:57:29 pm »
I get so many emails, which are meant for a bloke in procurement in the US with the same first initial and surname as me, but a different email address.
Maybe they are just guessing at his email address and getting mine, but an evil part of me can't help thinking he's given them an email address that sounds like it could be his, but isn't. And it turns out to be mine, the bastard.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #23601 on: 25 April, 2022, 10:39:13 pm »
PR fuckwit, sending me a terse email with just the words "Did you get my emails?" is not the way to elicit a favourable response.  >:(

Perhaps if you spent more time targeting your emails at the right people in the first place, you would then have to spend less time following them up to find out why you're not getting an answer.

Now just fuck off and do something more useful with your worthless life, like dunking your head in a vat of boiling oil.

I occasionally get passive-aggressive sales stuff

ian, would you be interested in trialling our super-new data analysis platform.
[silence, but no, I'm not]
Are you sure? It's super! It's new! It does data analysis in a way that you've never experienced.
[silence, I am sure]
All your competitors have signed up!
[silence, I am sure they haven't]
We can't keep making this offer.
[silence, feel free to stop then]
This is your last chance.
[silence, I doubt it]
This is a good faith offer. We're not sure why you wouldn't respond.
[silence, because I get eight of these a week]
This is absolutely your last chance. We won't offer this again.
[silence, I hope not]
This is your loss and your competitors' gain. I hope you are happy with your decision not to engage with us.
[silence, oh go get in the sea]

I'm not sure this sales technique is as effectively they may have thought.

You might as well change your name to Margret and be done with it.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #23602 on: 26 April, 2022, 09:27:50 am »
But my rant. HSBC. Again. Why is it impossible for me to set up a standing order to a company on your useless website? Individuals, yep, no problem. Any company - my council (wanted to set up this year's council tax), credit cards (just testing to see if they worked) etc. - you don't even get the switch to flip to enable standing orders, just a single date. WTF? I'd ask in your online chat, but it doesn't work on Chrome for me. And your site is painfully slow in Firefox.

Having got through to someone on the phone (as the online chat person couldn't help), apparently it is actually impossible - when the phone person looked into it, they have a note saying they have to set them up manually if the company is one that is listed on their system (so all councils, major utilities, large businesses etc). So they only way to set up a standing order to a company is to dictate the details to someone who will type them in - but it will allow you to do it for individuals. Thinking back a couple of years, MrsH hit this issue - and set one up over the phone. But they did it from the wrong account, which is rarely used, so immediately went into unauthorised overdraft with charges applied. That was eventually resolved and compensation paid, but I'd rather the system worked.

« Reply #23603 on: 26 April, 2022, 10:02:36 am »
TransBloodyPennineExpress.   Sort your online system out.  I can't reset my password which means I can't give you money for tickets.  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #23604 on: 26 April, 2022, 11:10:08 am »
I had to speak with six people at LB Southwark earlier today before I could find someone who could give me the telephone number for the cafe in Southwark Park.

« Reply #23605 on: 26 April, 2022, 12:33:51 pm »
I had to speak with six people at LB Southwark earlier today before I could find someone who could give me the telephone number for the cafe in Southwark Park.

Might have been quicker to message the cafe on Farcebook?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #23606 on: 26 April, 2022, 12:44:43 pm »
Since the office redesign, my desk neighbour is a chap who wears his headphones all day, which is antisocial enough, but made worse by the fact that he has the volume loud enough for the sound to leak.

Plus he types like a tap-dancing elephant. (Seriously, dude, you really don’t need to hit the keys that hard.)

And he eats apples noisily at his desk.

And he wears a hat indoors.

In short, he’s a cunt.

Oh well, only two more office days to put up with him. Silver linings and all that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23607 on: 26 April, 2022, 01:15:52 pm »
The real silver lining is that apples aren't fish.

citoyen

« Reply #23608 on: 26 April, 2022, 02:34:43 pm »
The real silver lining is that apples aren't fish.

FPWM

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #23609 on: 26 April, 2022, 04:15:44 pm »
Quote from: citoyen
And he wears a hat indoors.
Come the winter and the next round of fuel price hikes everyone will be wearing hats indoors, not just us bald skinny blokes with poor thermoregulation.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #23610 on: 29 April, 2022, 09:35:34 am »
There is a discount scheme on flights for island residents. Reduces very expensive flights (Stornoway - Edinburgh, a 1hr flight, is £128) to just extortionate.

I used it in early April.

Just tried to book flights for June "e-voucher not recognised". So I phone the office. "Due to covid restrictions, the office is closed. We are all working from home."

So they couldn't get the 0800 calls forwarded to skype/teams/something?  FFS
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23611 on: 29 April, 2022, 11:49:17 am »
So they couldn't get the 0800 calls forwarded to skype/teams/something?  FFS

I don't think that's uncommon outside of tech.  In most organisations where working from home wasn't normal, the monkey who knows how to reconfigure the phone system was too busy scrounging up laptops and wrangling VPNs and so on.  And by now everyone's used to whatever work-arounds were hastily thrown together.

I believe barakta's $ork still lacks a way of forwarding phone calls, though obviously that isn't a problem for her.  They're mostly using Teams for telephony as a result (which is of course shit).  They're also running the whole department out of one of the manager's personal OneDrive accounts, which results in regular file-locking shenanigans.

« Reply #23612 on: 14 May, 2022, 10:38:48 am »
email from PlusNet "Good News! You are due a refund!"

Pardon? You overcharged me. I had to phone up to get you to correct the bill. You're going to give me back the money you should never have taken from me.

How the fuck is this "Good News"?

(yeah, I know, it could have been Virgin and it would have taken 18 months)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

citoyen

« Reply #23613 on: 27 May, 2022, 03:29:26 pm »
My sister has signed up to become an agent/reseller/patsy/whatever you want to call it for Utility Warehouse. Now it's impossible to have a conversation with her without being bombarded with the hard sell. Ugh. At least when it's some random call centre droid I can just put the phone down on them.

How do you politely tell your own sibling to just please fuck off without causing a breakdown in family relations?  :facepalm:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23614 on: 27 May, 2022, 03:54:54 pm »
My sister has signed up to become an agent/reseller/patsy/whatever you want to call it for Utility Warehouse. Now it's impossible to have a conversation with her without being bombarded with the hard sell. Ugh. At least when it's some random call centre droid I can just put the phone down on them.

How do you politely tell your own sibling to just please fuck off without causing a breakdown in family relations?  :facepalm:

Exactly the same. Sister and BiL constantly trying to get me signed up. And my own mother, who had, nagging me to do so to help out.

Never did, and sadly two of the above mentioned have passed away so nagging no more.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

« Reply #23615 on: 27 May, 2022, 06:00:53 pm »
Exactly the same. Sister and BiL constantly trying to get me signed up. And my own mother, who had, nagging me to do so to help out.

Ugh! I hope my parents don't get dragged into it.

Never did, and sadly two of the above mentioned have passed away so nagging no more.

I suppose I'd rather put up with a bit of nagging if that's the alternative.  :(

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #23616 on: 28 May, 2022, 10:09:34 am »
Idea: telephone with a button marked DETH! - should reduce such calls.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23617 on: 11 June, 2022, 06:31:16 pm »
TFL/Greater Anglia: I accept that problems occur that are out of your control, and that the can occur anywhere and any when. But you’ve been running trains for a ver long time and your lines and stations aren’t exactly subject to frequent changes. It’s really not that difficult to know just what you need to do in any given circumstances and neither is it that difficult to inform your customers what they need to do and where they need to do it. And while I’m at it, those fancy information boards you’ve got on every platform; how about reporting actual reality on the rather than have the behave like a Microsoft update countdown. If you don’t know when a train is coming, the tell us.
Bastards.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #23618 on: 05 July, 2022, 06:56:48 pm »
Dear blue eagle bank,

You are morons.  Do you know my vole supplier account number?  No, you do not.  Do you know the reference number I used to pay my vole supplier last month?  Yes you do - the same one I'm trying to use this month.  Do you know the payment reference number printed in large friendly letters on the back of my vole supplier bill?  No you do not.

So why the utter fuck are you blocking the payment with this 'helpful' message?

Error :You have 1 error to correct before you can proceed

This reference format doesn't match the one we have for that company. Please check this, as the wrong reference might mean your payment is unsuccessful.

Fuck off.  Fuck off some more.  When done with that, go on, guess.

(I feel a thread cross with other web developer rants.)
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #23619 on: 05 July, 2022, 09:39:33 pm »
The floor fitter came to fit our kitchen vinyl. He did a good job but when he showed me the results it transpired that the vinyl that had been delivered was not what I had ordered.
Yes, I had checked it when it was delivered, but the corner I peeled back showed it was approximately the same background colour as the vinyl I had ordered, but it did not have a fetching hexagon pattern on top.

It's not offensive, it's about the right colour and I can't be arsed moving all the appliances again but that's a bit annoying.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23620 on: 05 July, 2022, 09:59:15 pm »
Similar in some ways to our garage situation 7 years ago.

We had a replacement prefab garage installed in a heatwave and contractors scarpered before we could check the work.  We had specified an openable window on one wall but a fixed one was installed.

Changing the window would have entailed MAJOR work so we accepted the situation.

« Reply #23621 on: 17 July, 2022, 02:39:37 pm »
I'd like to be able to sit outside in my garden today. However, my neighbour has decided to not only mow his grass for over 2 hours* but he's also got a massive bonfire going. My garden is completely filled with thick smoke so I can't go out. I've had to bring in my washing and close all the windows. I first noticed because I thought my kitchen was on fire, and then noticed that the smoke was coming in the window. Asshat.

* He mows his garden for about 6 hours a week, using a ride on mower. He also strims/trims for at least another 3 hours every week. There's something very ironic about the fact that they then have bird feeders, despite the fact that nothing can live in their garden - absolutely zero biodiversity value

« Reply #23622 on: 22 July, 2022, 10:14:26 am »
AirBnB: a double bed is just that: a bed, in the singular. Stop your clients listing a double bed as two beds, then your filters become meaningful, instead of throwing up loads of inappropriate properties.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #23623 on: 22 July, 2022, 12:16:58 pm »
One of the sets of hooks that my brother put in the garage wall to store a bike on fell out the other day and dropped the stored bike on those beneath.
Today my commuter (one of those beneath) wasn't working properly, something wrong with the rear wheel or brake or summat.

I now need to find a better method of fixing than the masonry wall plugs that were in there before. Chemical anchors maybe.

« Reply #23624 on: 22 July, 2022, 12:49:35 pm »
I don't normally disagree with experts, particularly scientists, but this:
To extract peat bricks, explains Prof Gallego-Sala, you have to drain the whole peatland.

Is absolute bollocks.

Draining the peat bog (to extract peat) is only necessary if you are going to:
A) use heavy machinery
B) extract peat down to a great depth.

Context; the quote is from this article https://www.bbc.com/news/business-61596047
<i>Marmite slave</i>