Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1612638 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14625 on: 12 May, 2022, 09:19:00 pm »
This reminds me of one of those 1960s quiz programmes with Robert Robinson in which you examine a photograph of a familiar object taken at an unusual angle and very close up and you have to identify it. I'm guessing, judging by those blue things that look like wires, that it is some electrical gadgetry.

Have I won?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14626 on: 12 May, 2022, 09:20:10 pm »
See:
Just been for a concerted rummage round all the boxes containing screws etc left here by the plumber last Tuesday in the hope that I could find the correct screws to allow me to screw the front panels back on the sockets that are hanging out of the kitchen wall as I am getting fed up of them like that, but unfortunately the correct screws are nowhere to be found and there is nothing useful in my screw stash that will do.
We picked a really good time to get the coronalurgi  ::-)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14627 on: 12 May, 2022, 09:32:08 pm »
That's a standard plasterboard backing box.

They have a thin flange around the front of them, which lands on the front face of the plasterboard.
Then, there are a pair of external sliding wings either side, the yellow bits in your photo.
You can't see the wings, they are on the outside of the box.
As you tighten the screws, the yellow bit will be pulled forwards till the wings clamp onto the back of the plasterboard.
The plasterboard is clamped between the front flange, and the wings.
The ole in the pb needs to be a close fit to the main body of the box, so the flange doesn't fall through from the front, and the wings can grab it from behind(!).

In order to get the box into the 'ole in the first place, the wings can be retracted into the box.
Usually, you slide the yellow bit all the way back, and it will then fold inwards.
The box is shoved into the ole, the wings pushed back out and the yellow bits pulled forwards till it touches the inside of the plasterboard.
Once the yellow bit is slid forward, it can no longer fold inwards.
Note that the final fore-aft position of that yellow piece depends entirely on the thickness of the pb and whatever other stuff may be stuck onto it.

Typically, there's nothing other than friction holding that yellow bit forward before the screws are tightened, and it will slide back quite readily.
So when trying to get the screw started, best not to shove too hard, or the threaded yellow bit will just shove away from you.
If it has, then just manually shove it back.
The wood screw you mention sounds like a bodge to stop it sliding away from you!
That it has a design feature (snapped) to assist with this sounds like an extravagance!

One thing about your photos...
The front flange is not visible. Is that some kind of facing which has been placed over the top of the plasterboard, and the flange is on top of the plasterboard, but behind the facing?

Never mind, I see you answered that earlier.
But that's why this needs longer screws.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14628 on: 12 May, 2022, 10:14:28 pm »
While I have the wing floating about inside, that I can just about hold on to, I had another try with the screw. The thread is knackered, it doesnae want to go in, so here endeth my attempt to frob it.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14629 on: 12 May, 2022, 10:39:55 pm »
I'd normally just disconnect the socket from the wires and replace the backing box.
But the splashback-over-the-front-flange precludes that, I think.

In the absence of an M3.5 tap, I think with a bit of brute force and ignorance, a screw can be forced into the damaged part, re-cutting the thread.
Perhaps.

Then it's onto more serious warfare.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14630 on: 13 May, 2022, 07:51:04 am »
That's a standard plasterboard backing box.

They have a thin flange around the front of them, which lands on the front face of the plasterboard.
Then, there are a pair of external sliding wings either side, the yellow bits in your photo.
You can't see the wings, they are on the outside of the box.
As you tighten the screws, the yellow bit will be pulled forwards till the wings clamp onto the back of the plasterboard.
The plasterboard is clamped between the front flange, and the wings.
The ole in the pb needs to be a close fit to the main body of the box, so the flange doesn't fall through from the front, and the wings can grab it from behind(!).

In order to get the box into the 'ole in the first place, the wings can be retracted into the box.
Usually, you slide the yellow bit all the way back, and it will then fold inwards.
The box is shoved into the ole, the wings pushed back out and the yellow bits pulled forwards till it touches the inside of the plasterboard.
Once the yellow bit is slid forward, it can no longer fold inwards.
Note that the final fore-aft position of that yellow piece depends entirely on the thickness of the pb and whatever other stuff may be stuck onto it.

Typically, there's nothing other than friction holding that yellow bit forward before the screws are tightened, and it will slide back quite readily.
So when trying to get the screw started, best not to shove too hard, or the threaded yellow bit will just shove away from you.
If it has, then just manually shove it back.
The wood screw you mention sounds like a bodge to stop it sliding away from you!
That it has a design feature (snapped) to assist with this sounds like an extravagance!

One thing about your photos...
The front flange is not visible. Is that some kind of facing which has been placed over the top of the plasterboard, and the flange is on top of the plasterboard, but behind the facing?

Never mind, I see you answered that earlier.
But that's why this needs longer screws.

Perfect description of what is a useful product - if fitted correctly.

As a remedy .... it looks as if it's possible to fit a new "plasterboard box" direct to the splashback material - assuming the aperture is the correct size.  Just follow feanor's post for instructions (if you see the an undamaged box in the flesh it's intuitive https://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-2-gang-dry-lining-knockout-box-35mm/36960 )

« Reply #14631 on: 13 May, 2022, 07:58:30 am »
CV-19 permitting, might be worth Mrs P picking up said M3.5 tap - not expensive, and might come in handy in the future. (Happy to stick mine in the post, but two way postage is probably more than a new one.)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-re-threading-tool-m3-5-x-0-6mm/59312

If the threads are properly buggered then the same tool in M4 is product number 23881 but that's a more normal tap size to have hanging around ...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14632 on: 13 May, 2022, 08:05:02 am »
I was just thinking I should go rummage in the garage for my taps, clearly you lot got there before me :)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14633 on: 13 May, 2022, 12:45:27 pm »
CV-19 permitting, might be worth Mrs P picking up said M3.5 tap - not expensive, and might come in handy in the future. (Happy to stick mine in the post, but two way postage is probably more than a new one.)

If the threads are properly buggered then the same tool in M4 is product number 23881 but that's a more normal tap size to have hanging around ...

I might get one of those. I only had a 3mm or a 4mm and the 3mm didn't help.

« Reply #14634 on: 13 May, 2022, 01:21:59 pm »
At work during the week we have radio 2 on via the old fashioned FM radio which I can just about tolerate if I ignore Jeremy vines pointless idiots arguing

However on Fridays when in office on own or when colleagues on holiday get to listen to what I want. Usually 6 music or maybe something on sounds via the computer

However our Internet at works so bad been banned from listening through computer, can't face the eurovision love in on radio 2 so it's sitting in silence till GQT at 3pm

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14635 on: 13 May, 2022, 03:05:23 pm »
Sciatica.  Ouch!  That effing hurt!
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #14636 on: 13 May, 2022, 05:57:49 pm »
Scared of not being fit enough for a surfing weekend in N Cornwall a couple of weekends ago, I set about getting surf-fit. Press ups, planks and burpees. Daily morning routine. Then, two weeks before the weekend I thought I ought to turn the burpees into a surfing pop up (identical, except that you end up with feet in a surf position, as opposed to alongside each other).

Bugger. That'll teach me. Cue the worst back ache ever - virtually immobile for the whole of the Easter weekend and despite multiple sessions with a physio I'm still a long way off being right. Hints of a disc problem apparently.  That'll put the kibosh on a few things.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14637 on: 13 May, 2022, 06:05:42 pm »
Scared of not being fit enough for a surfing weekend in N Cornwall a couple of weekends ago, I set about getting surf-fit. Press ups, planks and burpees. Daily morning routine. Then, two weeks before the weekend I thought I ought to turn the burpees into a surfing pop up (identical, except that you end up with feet in a surf position, as opposed to alongside each other).

Bugger. That'll teach me. Cue the worst back ache ever - virtually immobile for the whole of the Easter weekend and despite multiple sessions with a physio I'm still a long way off being right. Hints of a disc problem apparently.  That'll put the kibosh on a few things.
That sounds a bit grim.  :(

« Reply #14638 on: 13 May, 2022, 06:23:32 pm »
Indeed. It's improving, but ever so slowly. At least I don't need the opiates any more.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14639 on: 14 May, 2022, 07:20:20 am »
This health & fitness lark is dangerous.  GWS.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #14640 on: 14 May, 2022, 01:36:19 pm »
Sounds ouchy GWS.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #14641 on: 14 May, 2022, 01:56:03 pm »
Thank you all. I'm happy to report that non-strenuous cycling appears to be possible (that's how I got to the last physio appointment).

Look after your back everyone !!
Rust never sleeps

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14642 on: 14 May, 2022, 03:07:59 pm »
Can someone e-mail me the will to go grovelling under the desk in the Estate Office?  I need to extricate my dead PC, y'see, so's I can transplant bits of it into the new one.

No, thought not. Bah.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14643 on: 14 May, 2022, 04:02:08 pm »

I might get one of those. I only had a 3mm or a 4mm and the 3mm didn't help.

Huzzah, thanks to the Big River Co, I can haz tool. And by some miracle I managed to get it to go back together.
2022-05-14_03-57-14 by The Pingus, on Flickr

I could have done without Pingu using the camera flash outside at the same time as I was screwing it in, gave me a bit of a twitch ..

« Reply #14644 on: 14 May, 2022, 05:50:55 pm »
 :-D  We were in a bunkhouse once & Kim was fettling something electrical. I took a photo & the flash went off.  This earned me a hard stare. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #14645 on: 15 May, 2022, 01:03:15 pm »
I'm in a restaurant where the staff seem to have split the work strictly by task. One to seat you, one to take your order, another to take menus away, another to deliver food, another to clear tables etc.

Efficient it is not. A 5 minute wait to get seated in a 2/3 empty room. "Can i order please" is replied with "I'll just get someone". 28 minutes after sitting down a man in hi viz has brought my (first) drink.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14646 on: 15 May, 2022, 03:40:36 pm »
They shifted nursing from task-oriented to person-centred care a while back.

Shame this establishment has gone the other way...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14647 on: 15 May, 2022, 03:44:50 pm »
I'm in a restaurant where the staff seem to have split the work strictly by task. One to seat you, one to take your order, another to take menus away, another to deliver food, another to clear tables etc.

Efficient it is not. A 5 minute wait to get seated in a 2/3 empty room. "Can i order please" is replied with "I'll just get someone". 28 minutes after sitting down a man in hi viz has brought my (first) drink.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think the last time something like that happened to me, overnighting at some airport somewhere in Europe, I ended up asking for my bill three times, waiting about 15 minutes after the last, and then just walking out.  There was nothing on my bill the next morning.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14648 on: 15 May, 2022, 04:51:17 pm »
The Ozzie and I experienced shockingly bad service at a restaurant on Butlers Wharf a few years back.
When the manager came across to ask 'Is everything OK?' we didn't rant or anything.
We simply told him that we would never be coming back and gave him the reason why.
When the bill came the food was FOC, and apparently we'd just been gifted membership to some wine-tasting club or something, which meant that the bottle of champagne we'd just necked, had 30% knocked off its price.

ian

« Reply #14649 on: 16 May, 2022, 09:27:24 am »

To be fair, the place was probably managed by someone with an MBA.

This approach doesn't seem uncommon anymore, I'm not clear how it can be efficient in any small restaurant or pub. Maybe if you have a several hundred covers on a busy day. Maybe.